Celeriac chips

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Celeriac has been mentioned quite a few times as an alternative to potatoes, and for use in mash and chips.
I'm experimenting at the moment (deep frying celeriac chips as I type).
All the recipes that I have seen so far have been for oven chips, and part of the "healthy" seems to be not frying them in oil or fat.

So, has anyone deep fried them?
I used to be an expert chipper with potatoes but this is a learning curve, with the heat of the oil and the thickness of the chips.
First thing is that they immediately come to the surface and float, whereas potato chips rise to the surface when done, so how do you judge when they are done?

I'm experimenting with a small pan of oil for the moment. If this is a success I will bring the electric deep fat fryer down from the loft where it has languished for some years.

Reactions: Serena51

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I did try frying a handful after briefly par boiling but not a fantastic success. I then did some as mash and then as there was some left over I fried some as mash the following day. Think the trick is make sure as much moisture as possible is removed first. Good value veg but rather large!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive made oven chips with them which were ok, Ive also used celeriac to amke some nice soups. Celeriac does seem to absorb fluid when cooking so I would think that they would absorb too much fat and possibly disintegrate if deep fried

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Not deep fried celeriac, cant help with that but we par boil and oven roast with oil as chips with our fish every weekend.

I've never ate chips so I cant really compare...

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I currently have some in the oven as a substitute for roast potatoes with Sunday lunch. I don’t bother par boiling them, I just toss them in oil, rosemary, garlic powder, pepper and salt. I’ll post a pic later :)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well, the preliminary results are in:

1. Don't cut them too thin - they cook too quickly but don't seem soft all the way through. This could be a feature of celeriac, of course.
  2. Don't get the oil too hot. If the outside goes dark brown (O.K. in standard chips) they go very bitter. There is a trace of bitterness anyway.
  3. Cut them thick and chunky. This gives a brown exterior and a soft interior.
  4. Keep the oil around 140C-150C. This will cook them without turning them too dark.
Not bad for a first attempt. The flavour is quite strong and a little bitter. They would never be mistaken for potato chips. Nice with a bit of salt and vinegar. They really need to go with something else which can complement the flavour. I think a nice cheese sauce (or even just grated cheese) would work well.

Not a replacement for a bag of chips, but a quick vegetable to add variety to the average meal. I think I will go mainstream with these (after a bit of BG testing). Next stop may be a chip butty with a Lidl roll. Will the excitement never end? :)

Edit: if you suffer from cravings for days gone by these are not a bad substitute for chips. Visually they hit the spot. Picture after I've scoffed them.

Edit #2: is there a way to upload pictures? I just seem to have the option for an image URL from a third party site. Ah! need to use "additional options".

P.S. interesting weather at the moment. Watching the radar and some people are getting more than their fair share of snow.

Attachments

• celeriac chips.jpg
    celeriac chips.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 729
Last edited:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I currently have some in the oven as a substitute for roast potatoes with Sunday lunch. I don’t bother par boiling them, I just toss them in oil, rosemary, garlic powder, pepper and salt. I’ll post a pic later :)

Envy!!

Parsnips roasted too??

Yum!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Definitely do chunky!!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually roast them or I boil them for mash, I never fry anything so would not know how they are fried

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm now wondering if cooked, mashed, and flattened out they could be used as a substitute for poppadoms or Nan breads.

Having developed an instant enthusiasm I think that I have a topping for Shepherd's Pie (along with some grated cheese).

No doubt it will turn out celeriac is bad for me, along with all my other guilty pleasures.:arghh:

Reactions: donnellysdogs

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love celeriac but my digestive tract hates it with a raging passion- had to give it up before it turned me inside out - I can eat a little bit raw grated as a remulade but that's it

dipsydo

I cut them chunky and microwave them for 4 mins( stopped them getting soggy ) then shallow fry - they are not crispy but not oily and are quite interesting and tasty - I do not know if they would deep fry. I suspect celeriac is better as a mash which I have eaten and found pleasant.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I love celeriac but my digestive tract hates it with a raging passion- had to give it up before it turned me inside out - I can eat a little bit raw grated as a remulade but that's it

First time hubby n I ate it we both got chronic trapped painful wind... we thought it was celeriac but it couldnt have been.. as ever since, we gained courage to try again as a mash initially and was fine... must have been something else in that meal that caused the agony...

Reactions: lovinglife

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Funnily enough @donnellysdogs I think these Celeriac alternatives taste more like parsnips than potatoes and lower carb than parsnips!View attachment 24680

As I eat so little I dont really ave to worry about carbs.. I only eat one sideplate worth of mushy veg so any nutrients whatever they are, are needed-lol.

Do agree that celeriac is so much lower carb and with your taste buds too!!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have made celeriac chips, swede chips and butternut squash chips, all oven baked as I don't have a deep fat fryer. They are all good but I think the swede chips are are the most like potato chips. I find it is best to cut the swede into batons about 1cm square in cross section.
Making mash with any of the above, they all have rather too much moisture. I tried using a ricer to squeeze out the moisture, it worked well but it was too much like hard work, now I just put the drained pieces back in the saucepan, mash them and put it back on the heat to steam off some of the water.

Reactions: Serena51

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Funnily enough @donnellysdogs I think these Celeriac alternatives taste more like parsnips than potatoes and lower carb than parsnips!View attachment 24680
I roast them all of the time put some garlic salt and paprika on they are lovely. Yes, they are very much like parsnips. I tested my husband on them and he thought that were parsnips. I will be having these on my Christmas dinner plate instead of potatoes or parsnips

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I made celeriac mash and put some salt pepper cream garlic puree (Just a little) used it for the topping of my Shepherds pie and added grated cheese. It was lovely.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am into cauliflower and broccoli mash also. Same ingredients go into the cauliflower and broccoli mash,salt pepper cream little garlic puree and grated cheese mash altogether divine. I feel as if I am having luxury mashed potato. I only used an ordinary potato masher

Reactions: donnellysdogs