Ceylon cinnamon

Bobert66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all
Just about to start having Ceylon cinnamon on a daily basis, iam type 2 and wondering how much i should have each day in grams.

Thanks

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

High blood sugar levels and high colestoral hope to bring everything down

OK, then I have one more question. What do you eat in a normal day? The truth is, namely, that food choices as a type 2, is a very important factor in getting BSL in control, and at the same time, usually most of all other values will follow.
Tagging @JoKalsbeek , who is herself a type 2, and has experience and advice that she gladly shares.

Edited only to correct a bit of syntax problems...

Reactions: Bobert66

Bobert66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I eat quite normal, fresh veg bit of fruit( carrots,spinach,avocado,Apple) 1 main meal,(spag bol,porkchops,chicken,gammon) work nights so tend to have chocolate bar and crisps do not eat meal at work,have toast when finish(brown bread) have alcohol weekend's only ( Rum with mixer) no larger/cider.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not a T2, but quite a few of those things (spaghetti, bread, crisps, chocolates, apples) have a fair amount of carbs and its those that'll be raising your sugar level and if your hoping that cinnamon will reduce the sugars from eating the things you've mentioned, I'm afraid you may be disappointed, though obviously everyone is different and different diets work for different people.

Bobert66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the replys peeps, will try it and cut out chocolate and crisps, Apple's and bread, only have pasta once a week(wholemeal) will cut potion size( hopefully) will feed back my results.

M

Member496333

Sorry to say it but I predict that cinnamon won't even make a dent in that diet. Some say it can have an effect on insulin sensitivity, and I don't doubt that this may true in metabolically healthy people and even type 1, but for a type 2 with genuine pathological insulin resistance, I think you're barking up the wrong tree. Removing a sizeable portion of those carbohydrates from your diet will have a hundred-fold greater impact on your metabolic health.

Just my opinion. It goes without saying that you are free to eat as you choose.

EDIT: cross-posted with #7

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I agree, that amount of carbs would have sent my blood sugars up very high.

Try the spag bol without pasta? I eat a larger portion of the meat than I used to, made with a sauce with less tomato but loads of mushrooms, served with grated cheese.
I only ever eat low carb/high protein bread and never more than 1.5 small slices - usually just one slice toasted with butter or cheese.
No apples, only berries.
No crisps, only a couple of squares of 85% chocolate or stevia sweetened choc.
But I eat loads of cauliflower rice making a large batch once a week, have full fat milk in coffee (but more water with it), real full fat greek yogurt with fresh raspberries, and double cream on a flaxseed based 'porridge'.
Some curry mixes are fairly low in carbs, and you can buy no added sugar pasta sauces - but check the labels as the amount of carbs varies a lot, I go for anything under 10g per serving and serve with fish/chicken/pork and plenty of green veg and cauliflower rice/mash.
If I'm feeling up to it, as a break from the flaxseed porridge breakfast is a low carb pancake mix served with fresh blueberries or bacon and mushrooms with half a tomato.
Lunch, if I have it, is often just a couple of slices of cheese wrapped in lettuce leaves.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like and have always used cinnamon in cooking etc for nearly 50 years, both before and after being diagnosed as T2. But I've never seen it have any noticeable effect on my glucose levels, and it certainly did nothing to prevent me becoming diabetic...

However the one thing that has brought my glucose levels back down again was cutting out all high starchy and sugary food - i.e. eating LCHF.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat quite normal, fresh veg bit of fruit( carrots,spinach,avocado,Apple) 1 main meal,(spag bol,porkchops,chicken,gammon) work nights so tend to have chocolate bar and crisps do not eat meal at work,have toast when finish(brown bread) have alcohol weekend's only ( Rum with mixer) no larger/cider.
Hi @Bobert66 ,
You eat "quite normal" yes... The thing is, your metabolism isn't normal. It's impaired, which is what T2 really is... Your body becomes unable to properly use certain food components for fuel. And a lot of what you mention is what we can't process. (Pasta, fruit, spuds, rice, bread etc) What happens to stuff we can't process? It either gets stored it fat cells, or it ends up in our bloodstream, urine, salive, tears, doing damage along the way.... We can't process carbohydrates, and carbohydrates turn to glucose once ingested. So hence the high bloodsugars. The high cholesterol is debatable, because what some consider high actually isn't all that high, but... High Cholesterol, diabetes, obesity, high bloodpressure and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease usually go together. Good news being, if you tackle the diabetes bit with diet.... The rest will follow. Everything will normalise. Why? Because the main thing that mucks us up is the inability to process carbohydrates. Why can't we? Because contrary to type 1's, we T2's make massive amounts of insulin. And when here's a lot of something around, we become insensitive to it.The insulin stops helping us use glucose (from all carbs, not just sugar but starches too) as fuel, so it just gets stored or ends up in our bloodstream. Boom. Diabetic.

The solution's a simple one: Don't eat carbs. Stick with everything that has little to none. Cut out bread, pasta, potatoes, cereal, corn, fruit (berries are okay though), rice... And stick with other stuff like eggs, meat, fish, poultry, above ground veggies and leafy greens, (hard) cheeses, full fat greek yoghurt, that sort of thing.

..If T2 could be fixed with cinnamon, there'd be a great shortage in the world. There's no quick, easy fixes. It takes some determination. but hey, eggs with bacon and high meat content sausages are back on the menu. (And extra dark chocolate too!)

You'll be okay. But there is no real miracle cure, nothing easy.... Though I have to admit, once you get in the swing of things with a low carb, high fat diet (and yes, that WILL fix your cholesterol too), it doesn't seem all that hard... :)
https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- this is my own quick start guide, and you might want to read Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code, or watch his (free) youtube video's. Dietdoctor.com is good too, as is this forum's website, diabetes.co.uk, for ideas on how to eat to put your diabetes in remission. I've done it, a lot of people here have done it, and there's no reason why you can't.
Good luck,
Jo

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello again @Bobert66 !

True, as Jo is stating here above, carbohydrates does not really go hand in hand with diabetes, and above all type 2.
As a type 1 myself, I should really be able to eat and process carbs, with the help of added insulin, but as more carbs mean more insulin, I also try to keep my amount of carbohydrates down. Easier to control BSL swings that way.

So the main message here will be - cut down on carbs, and use the cinnamon as a possibly helpful add on.

So, if you are going to cut down on carbs, then let us know how it goes with your values. And of course, questions are always welcome in any case, even if the answers not always are, what first could be expected...

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Aldi do veg based spaghetti & fettuccine "pasta" which is much lower in carbs. Its pricey compared to regular pasta, £1.80ish, but one pack easily does 4 servings and its tasty and really no different to normal pasta. Except the colour, black, orange, or green! Makes meals more colourful.
Hope you get sorted soon. X

Mike3777

It is very hard to find ceylon cinnamon in local market. I heard ceylon cinnamon is better than cassia cinnamon. I checked on costco and mostly they sell cassia cinnamon. I'm going to try these guys ceylon cinnamon bulk (kingdomofcinnamon.com). Hope I can use to my daily tea.

I will update here my experience in months!