Type 2 CGM is it worth it?

Ali58n

Hello, I was thinking about buying a continuous glucose monitor but didn’t know a lot about them. Do they differ from the Freestyle Libre I have seen advertised? Are they useful for people with T2 or more suited to T1? Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am also toying with the idea. I'm also based in Ireland so would like to know the cheapest place to source privately.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Ali58n the Freestyle Libre is one of the top 2 in the UK the other being the Dexcom G6. T1's are more likely to a CGM as a prescription on the NHS, due to close attention needing to be paid blood glucose near real-time, insulin dependent Type 2's also can be assisted by the NHS.

As you are starting out (by the looks of it), I would start with a manual glucose monitor. I would then over the next month or so eat as well as I could - I would recommend a Ketogenic method. First thing in the morning, I would measure fasted blood glucose - note this preferably in a spreadsheet. Just before a meal take another reading, eat and then take another reading 2 hours laters and note the measurements again. Ask for interpretations of your results on this site after a week. Tweak based on feedback.

Once you have optimised your meals and understand blood glucose, I would then suggest a CGM to optimise your food choices fully. I believe this is how you would get value out of the investment.

Reactions: jjraak

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't need to test on a daily basis - or weekly - or monthly, even. I don't need medication for diabetes, my Hba1c is just at the top of normal and my blood glucose is usually absolutely normal after eating - over 7 at two hours would be unusual or down to strawberries being in season. and me eating all of the ones I bought in one go - I can resist anything but temptation.
I got here by using an ordinary glucose tester and Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, aka LCHF, but I am a very standard sort of type two, although I do need to keep to under 40 gm of carbs a day - which I might do even with the fresh strawberries.
Rather than buying a CGM, buy foods which will not raise your glucose levels

Reactions: jjraak

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I would suggest getting one of the free trials

Libre is the cheapest not a true cgm but good enough for most t2’s

And then see if it’s any good for you and your situation

Then you can decide if it’s worth the £100 a month

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got a free trial Libre on at the minute, learning lots, including the fact I eat better because I know it's "watching" me :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I was thinking about buying a continuous glucose monitor but didn’t know a lot about them. Do they differ from the Freestyle Libre I have seen advertised? Are they useful for people with T2 or more suited to T1? Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you

Hi there, it may help if you told us what you are hoping to achieve by using one?, some people simply wish to know their levels throughout the day, others may want to know what happens if they try a new food item, etc. It's all very well being told to 'eat fewer carbs and you won't need one' but that all depends on WHY you think you would like one. x

John2003

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As someone who has just started insulin I'd be interested in trying a Libre. Would love to have more data in addition to results from finger prick tests. Problem is my phone isn't compatible (no NFC) and I don't think there's any other way of downloading the data without buying the Freestyle reader. I've looked at the Freestyle web site and can't see any information about alternative methods of getting at the data. Might have missed something?