Change of meds

Elizabeth__m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type 2, was on metformin, gliclazide and victosa injection. I also have IBS. I rang my doc on Monday as my bg readings were really high. He suspected a bug, masked by my IBS . He stopped my metformin for a few days and upped my gliclazide. Today I feel totally drained, no energy at all. Should I contact my gp again or stick with it?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you checked your blood glucose?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2, was on metformin, gliclazide and victosa injection. I also have IBS. I rang my doc on Monday as my bg readings were really high. He suspected a bug, masked by my IBS . He stopped my metformin for a few days and upped my gliclazide. Today I feel totally drained, no energy at all. Should I contact my gp again or stick with it?
What are your blood sugars doing? Do you have numbers for us? IBS and metformin is an unholy combination as it is, so yeah... Please tell me you'll consider going for a low carb diet to treat your diabetes...? It meant a world of difference for my IBS too; carbs are inflammatory and will let your gut know it.

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
He stopped my metformin for a few days and upped my gliclazide.

For what it's worth, metformin usually has much less effect on your blood sugar than gliclazide. If you are ill then it's important to know what your blood sugar is doing because it can go very high due to illness, in the worse case scenario, some people have to go on to insulin temporarily (or drastically increase it if they are already insulin users).

Good luck.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. What is your BMI and are you low-carbing? Victoza is normally prescribed when overweight and can cause bowel/stomach side effects; same for Metformin non-SR version. If so you may well have insulin resistance and Gliclazide seems a strange thing to prescribe as it triggers further insulin production when you may already have too much? If you are not already low-carbing that must surely be the highest priority but you may need to reduce the Gliclazide as your weight reduces to avoid hypos.