Change of statin

sparkyrich

Hi all, got a letter from the medical centre a couple of weeks ago saying they'd been advised by NICE that fat Yorkshiremen with type 2 and high blood pressure shouldn't be taking simvastatin. Apparently bits would drop off and crops would fail etc. Strange really cos I thought I was doing ok on them.
Anyhoo, I've collected my latest pallet full of tablets and they've changed my statin to "Lipitor" atorvastatin.
The enclosed leaflet makes scary reading- far worse than the simvastatin although I know to take most of it as "anti-claims direct" blurb.
Anyone else been changed over?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was taken off Simvastatin a couple of years ago due to bad side effect and put on another. I also had side effects with that but the reason given for taking me off was that it was known to cause cancer of the bladder. The third one made me more ill than the other two and I was taken off of that because it was "ineffective"

I now have a note in my file saying that I am intolerant of statins but whenever I mention it three people come along and say that they have taken them for years without any trouble.

I've been here too long.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
I have refused statins for the last 16 years, IMHO an evil drug peddled purely for profit.
It should be reclassified as Class A and banned.Ask your gp for proof positive that it does any good, he can't. Ask him about the lipid hypothesis, it's just an opinion. I normally give a reading list at this point but I've had my wrist slapped by the moderators too often.
There is a groundswell of clinical evidence that it is causing so much pain and devastation to lives. Just google the evil of statins and check it out. NOT taking statins has extended my life, check my signature.

Superchip

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Lots of people do get on with statins okay. I don't, and now I won't take them.

Discuss with your GP which is the best to take. NB, best, not cheapest!

Also, for a review of how statins can affect some people, Google "spacedoc.net". Duane Graveline is a US doctor, and previously was a USAF doctor involved with the space programme, so I think he is qualified rather than a quack.

For balance, have a look at sone pro-statin sites too :wink:

Viv 8)

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Superchip said:
I have refused statins for the last 16 years, IMHO an evil drug peddled purely for profit.
It should be reclassified as Class A and banned.Ask your gp for proof positive that it does any good, he can't. Ask him about the lipid hypothesis, it's just an opinion. I normally give a reading list at this point but I've had my wrist slapped by the moderators too often.
There is a groundswell of clinical evidence that it is causing so much pain and devastation to lives. Just google the evil of statins and check it out. NOT taking statins has extended my life, check my signature.

Superchip
Wow..i thought i hated them!

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

celast

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on simvastain for 10years, it has kept my cholestrol under control but am worried after reading this.

garythegob

I was on simvastatin 80mg in evening, and have recently been changed to atorvastatin then i was admitted into hospital at the beginning of February this year, i had a heart attack! My cholesterol levels 2 weeks ago were measured at 3.4, ALSO WOULD LIKE TO POINT OUT, A DIABETIC CAN HAVE A HEART ATTACK WITHOUT THE TELL TALE PAIN IN CHEST AND ARM!

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
celast - please do not worry ! Not my intention !

Just saying that IMHO that statins are not the wonder drug that most so-called hcp's make them out to be.
Again IMHO cholesterol levels are very subjective.If you regard my signature you will see that I am 18 years post transplant and 7.2% cholesterol is fine by me, trust me, I've been there in the heart stakes, seen the movie, and done it ! Got a T-Shirt !
Cholesterol is absolutely crucial to life in every cell in the body, that's why the liver churns it out in great quantities ( 80% + ), despite these man made statins that suppress the bodies natural function ! Lots of profit there eh?
I will not under ANY circumstance take a statin ever again, FAR too dangerous IMHO. I refuse to pay for the pharma co's lavish lifestyle !

Your choice celast, think and research.....

Superchip

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
sparkyrich said:
Anyhoo, I've collected my latest pallet full of tablets and they've changed my statin to "Lipitor" atorvastatin.
The enclosed leaflet makes scary reading- far worse than the simvastatin although I know to take most of it as "anti-claims direct" blurb.
Anyone else been changed over?

Yep, they swapped me from atorvastatin to simvastatin, I suspect, for reasons of economy.

Superchip

Dislikes
Cheap Whisky !
garythegob ! welcome to the zipper club !

Agree with you on the pain in the arms thing, I felt nothing other than that somebody had chucked a wardrobe through my chest !
Just seen your post mate, well, heart attacks are no fun I should know, I've had six, so I do understand.
Your cholesterol level seems too low to me, eat more fat, don't listen to the quacks ! and certainly don't listen to dieticians, they haven't got a clue ! Just paid to spout the party line from the useless nhs party line, jobs for the boys, everybody getting paid etc.

Do hope that you recover from this episode of HA's soon mate..

Superchip

garythegob

I felt absolutely nothing, nada, zilch, went to toilet, finished business, (not a wee) stood up, went dizzy, sweating, Sat back down, thought would be better back in bed, stood up, next thing, face first into bathroom floor, stayed conscious, but sweat, that isn't the word, gf said it was like a pool of water where i was laid