Change Required!!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. The good news is that diabetes should be easily controlled once you have the eating under control and have reduced weight. Whilst keeping the carbs down you can still have fats, proteins, veg and non-tropical fruit so it doesn't mean starving but it does mean selecting the foods. 85% Dark chocolate is much better for us than the sugary rubbish that is mostly sold and you do get used to it's different taste. Have eggs and bacon for breakfast rather than cereals etc

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
Yes, when I’m throwing caution to the winds and eating as much chocolate as I’d like (which means never a moment when there isn’t chocolate in my mouth - like chain-smoking, I guess...) then I automatically seem to go off all thoughts of normal food. I used to force myself to eat some kind of meal when this happened, but these days I’ve given up, and just do wall-to-wall chocolate instead. You get so that that is the only thing you can tolerate.
And yes, “cold turkey” seems the only way to do it, for me. If I keep giving myself tastes of chocolate, I’ll never stop. I have lost weight successfully several times throughout my life (5st, 7st, 8st, 10st....) and once (the 8st loss) I kept it off for 3 years. That’s the longest I’ve ever maintained a weight loss.
And I haven’t always eaten as I do now. I’ve always reached for chocolate in times of stress, ever since I was a child, but it’s only in the past couple of years that it’s become so completely lacking in any kind of boundary. I suppose that coincides with when I began living alone, after a lifetime of being wife & mother...

I honestly wish you the best in this battle it seems like a huge challenge to me but I guess the first step is realising the change needs to happen, step 2 is committing to it.

Perhaps the diabetes diagnosis makes you more connected to the consequences of so much chocolate in a way that the weight gain never did. Diabetes doesn’t ever go away, that’s for life now but if you can overcome your chocolate addiction & control carbs you might get to a point where you feel much healthier.

Maybe have a browse of the success stories section to help visualise a long term goal - no chocolate, low carb diet, weight loss & better quality of life all round. If there are ways we can support you from afar, let us know.

EmilyT

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi and welcome. The good news is that diabetes should be easily controlled once you have the eating under control and have reduced weight. Whilst keeping the carbs down you can still have fats, proteins, veg and non-tropical fruit so it doesn't mean starving but it does mean selecting the foods. 85% Dark chocolate is much better for us than the sugary rubbish that is mostly sold and you do get used to it's different taste. Have eggs and bacon for breakfast rather than cereals etc

Hi,
Thank you. I’m liking the non-tropical fruit part. I didn’t know that. So tropical fruit in general must have the most sugar, then? So no mangos, pineapple, kiwi etc. Is Mediterranean ok? So oranges, grapes etc? And what about melon? ()

EmilyT

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I honestly wish you the best in this battle it seems like a huge challenge to me but I guess the first step is realising the change needs to happen, step 2 is committing to it.

Perhaps the diabetes diagnosis makes you more connected to the consequences of so much chocolate in a way that the weight gain never did. Diabetes doesn’t ever go away, that’s for life now but if you can overcome your chocolate addiction & control carbs you might get to a point where you feel much healthier.

Maybe have a browse of the success stories section to help visualise a long term goal - no chocolate, low carb diet, weight loss & better quality of life all round. If there are ways we can support you from afar, let us know.

Thank you! I’m quite blown away by all the support & encouragement on here! ❤️

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @EmilyT you have now taken the first steps to a new you! it couldn't have been easy for you to initially post on here - you know you have a problem and only you can change the situation you are in and the fact you recognise this and want to change is the first change to the rest of your (a more healthy) life. You have been given excellent advice from the above posters - any more questions or help just ask - they are a friendly really helpful and knowledgeable bunch on here. You have lost a remarkable amount of weight before (it must have taken a lot of willpower to do that) and if you have done it before you can do it again! Regarding the chocolate I now have 85% or 90% dark lindtt with a very little peanut butter on top to feed my craving. At first it is quite jaw clenching (maybe try 80% first) but honestly you do get used to it and it does hit the spot especially on stressful days or cold days with a hot cuppa for me. Dark chocolate in moderation is actually quite good for you. You will honestly find that the less sugar you have the less your body craves it (although you will find this hard to believe at the moment). Go girl you can do it - I will be honest it's a marathon not a sprint but as long as you get there in the end that's the main thing. By the way over the last few years I have also lost over 5 stone - it's not always been easy but I just kept going and am almost at my own personal target weight (just 3lbs to go) and I now feel so much more happier, healthier and amazing. You have done it before so you can do it again! I wish you well for the future. Take care x

Reactions: EmilyT

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The only fruits I buy are berries. I usually get frozen ones, as I can make a sugar free jelly by dissolving it in the minimum amount of hot water - I put a metal bowl over a pan of hot water and add water to the jelly a little at a time, stirring until it dissolves. I then add half a pint of ice cold water so a 1 pint jelly is only 3/4 of a pint, I then put in frozen berries and it will set very quickly, no waiting. I eat it with cream, or I make real custard - which has to be left to cool, but if you keep making it, you always have some in the fridge. You can melt chocolate into it.
If the custard, made with eggs, cream and vanilla, is not sweet enough for you add an artificial sweetener.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Made them last over both weekend days....
There’s still most of the Doritos, a double biscuit and one Cadbury’s white choc Oreo bar left....

How would you feel about trying to start the day with a decent breakfast? If you fancy it, that could be bacon and eggs, or scrambled eggs, an omelette, decent sausages, or if cooked isn't for you some full fat Greek yoghurt, either on it's own, or with some berries?

You might be surprised how satisfying it could be, then take the rest of the day as it some?

If you can start with one improved thing a day (and work at sticking with it for whatever target you get yourself - 2 days, 3, 5, 7 - whatever - before looking to change anything else, if you don't feel like it.

I think it's really easy for folks on here to say, "just change", but change is hard, and for change to be sustained, you have to both believe in it and "buy it". The change has to be for yourself. Making a change only usually works for a while until the other person takes their eye off your ball.

Eating disorders get a grip few others will every really understand. The mind messing that goes on with what is really malnutrition of one sort or another is real.

I do hope you can find a way forward.

Reactions: lessci and EmilyT

Jo123

Hi Emily,
To Answer your original question About how Diabetes damages your body. I saw something on television years ago. About how excess sugar in your blood damages your blood vessels. And by this mechanism, it means that most diabetics die of heart disease. Basically, the doctor said to think of the excess sugar As shards of glass. Damaging the walls of your blood vessels. So then cholesterol is used to rebuild them. And it's this excess cholesterol that can break off and cause a blockage and ultimately cause A heart attack.

I was only prediabetic, but Anytime I felt like Eating something carby. I just imagined the shards of glass and it stopped me in my tracks.

You have a big job to do and I'm unfamiliar with eating disorders. But on the good side, once you lose that weight, you could be completely Nondiabetic.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Hello,
I’m newly diagnosed, on the phone, and haven’t yet had the chat with my nurse about foods and diet going forwards.
I also have an eating disorder, where I overeat and purging does not happen!! It all stays in. In recent months I have been particularly stressed and struggling, and have been eating between 16,000 and 20,000 calories each day - and none of that has been actual food, it’s all been chocolate apart from some white bread each morning.
It’s no surprise, therefore that I have been diagnosed with diabetes. I am also unwell in all sorts of other ways, having gained over 10 stone quite quickly (the first few stones went on at exactly one stone each week).
Obviously, I know such a ridiculous diet must be devastating for my body - but what I would like is for someone who knows what they’re talking about to make it clear to me exactly why, and in what ways, this would be adversely affecting by body, bearing in mind that I am now diabetic. I also struggle to walk now and have only one kidney (which is, apparently, not happy...)
I need this kind of reality check to help me move forward, away from this miserable, punishing and destructive cycle, and into some safer, kinder habits.
Don’t hold back - don’t mince your words - and thank you!

Wow! That is a lot of calories,
Listen only you can change this, and everyone on here is helpful and kind it’s an amazing place to be we. have all struggled with the reality of having diabetes, but it’s not so bad once the changes are made,it is normal and your body will thank you for it.
The effects can be dangerous, if your blood sugar goes high it can cause you to lose your vision, foot problems, it will not be a nice experience.
These chocolate binges you have, here’s where you could change little habits. Try 85/90% dark chocolate..I thought I would hate it but it tastes amazing. Do check your sugars regularly if you have a meter..Maybe when the urges start, take a square, and let it melt in your mouth and walk around a little until it’s gone, that way you haven’t eaten 4 double decker bars and it’s taking you longer to consume something you enjoy..hoover or put some washing in. (Sorry just realised you said you struggle to walk well) when another craving kicks in, have Greek yogurt, just try to look for different options that are a better choice than the ones you have been making. It gets easier I promise.my go too comfort food is 85% dark chocolate, grated in Greek yogurt mixed in with raspberries. Thank me later try having bacon and eggs in a morning instead of bread.
I honestly thought I would never survive without bread but now just even thinking about it make me feel bloated your body will adjust and so can you.
I believe in you and you have to believe in yourself. Make right what was wrong and feel better for you. Keep safe

Reactions: KK123 and EmilyT

EmilyT

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Wow! That is a lot of calories,
Listen only you can change this, and everyone on here is helpful and kind it’s an amazing place to be we. have all struggled with the reality of having diabetes, but it’s not so bad once the changes are made,it is normal and your body will thank you for it.
The effects can be dangerous, if your blood sugar goes high it can cause you to lose your vision, foot problems, it will not be a nice experience.
These chocolate binges you have, here’s where you could change little habits. Try 85/90% dark chocolate..I thought I would hate it but it tastes amazing. Do check your sugars regularly if you have a meter..Maybe when the urges start, take a square, and let it melt in your mouth and walk around a little until it’s gone, that way you haven’t eaten 4 double decker bars and it’s taking you longer to consume something you enjoy..hoover or put some washing in. (Sorry just realised you said you struggle to walk well) when another craving kicks in, have Greek yogurt, just try to look for different options that are a better choice than the ones you have been making. It gets easier I promise.my go too comfort food is 85% dark chocolate, grated in Greek yogurt mixed in with raspberries. Thank me later try having bacon and eggs in a morning instead of bread.
I honestly thought I would never survive without bread but now just even thinking about it make me feel bloated your body will adjust and so can you.
I believe in you and you have to believe in yourself. Make right what was wrong and feel better for you. Keep safe

EmilyT

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Oops! Sorry! Didn’t mean to repost that!
This is a message for Dudette1, Jo123, DCUKMod, Resurgam and Mrs T:-
I’m so sorry, folks, I missed all your comments because I’ve stopped getting notifications in my email, for some reason.
I thought it had suddenly gone very quiet here - and when I came on to check here were all your lovely messages, stacked up waiting for me!
Thank you. It will take me a while to answer them all - but I will. I appreciate all the support so much. ❤️

Jeanieus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am ****** mad!! I seem to be pushing and pushing waiting for someone or something to say “No! Enough! Stop!” I’m hoping that this being diagnosed as diabetic will be that shout. That’s why I wanted to write down in black and white what I’m doing, for people to see it. It doesn’t shock me any more, but it IS shocking, and I’m the one that needs to be shocked, or I won’t change....

I can see why you posted, I think you're very brave, braver than me because I don't think I've completely accepted that I'm type 2 diabetic and have been quite blase with regards to the way that I've been eating and living my life. I've been feeling **** last few days and came on to the forum because I needed to read from others with the same condition. I came across your post and you have really made me stop and think so thank you.:)

Emilygrey

Hello,
I’m newly diagnosed, on the phone, and haven’t yet had the chat with my nurse about foods and diet going forwards.
I also have an eating disorder, where I overeat and purging does not happen!! It all stays in. In recent months I have been particularly stressed and struggling, and have been eating between 16,000 and 20,000 calories each day - and none of that has been actual food, it’s all been chocolate apart from some white bread each morning.
It’s no surprise, therefore that I have been diagnosed with diabetes. I am also unwell in all sorts of other ways, having gained over 10 stone quite quickly (the first few stones went on at exactly one stone each week).
Obviously, I know such a ridiculous diet must be devastating for my body - but what I would like is for someone who knows what they’re talking about to make it clear to me exactly why, and in what ways, this would be adversely affecting by body, bearing in mind that I am now diabetic. I also struggle to walk now and have only one kidney (which is, apparently, not happy...)
I need this kind of reality check to help me move forward, away from this miserable, punishing and destructive cycle, and into some safer, kinder habits.
Don’t hold back - don’t mince your words - and thank you!

Hey,
Firstly u need to stay happy and positive. U also slowly start practicing to follow diet plan and reduced sugar. All will be good. Cheers.