Chat for ASD families

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
I'm so pleased @diamum5672 didn't want to say before but I know how hard that would have been for DS I bet you're feeling pretty relieved right now x
Yep, absolutely! He's always had sensory issues with his food so the thought of having to change his diet was daunting to say the least!

Reactions: 2 people

Jo073

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, Thanks for the advice....good to know I'm not alone in this. My boy loves books, so I will see what I can find

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Is that your boy in your avatar? Jo, he's a good looking lad

S

Shar67

I read a book years ago about an autistic girl who's family were looking for help to get her speaking and more independent.
I don't remember title it could have been her name, the author was a journalist looking for causes of autism.
One reason given was, unborn babies body temperature dropping below normal, and these babies being born and not treated properly for low body temp. It made a whole lot of sense, if you look at how hypothermia affects the body to various degrees.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's an interesting theory @Shar67 and as likely as all the others which have been brought forward. I think the current thinking is that ASD seems to have many possible causes, genetic sometimes, pollution is also a popular theory but, as my son's consultant said to us - no-one knows, that's why so much of the current research worldwide is trying desperately to find possible causes, to stop the epidemic which is ASD

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
@13lizanne I agree completely with your post on Type 2 Life. I couldn't have it any other way being a single mum. I'm so glad I was able to help him through those difficult early years, and I know it's helped him become the wonderful young man he is today. Today has been even more difficult because when he stays in the house for several days his mental health suffers, I'm sure it's linked to his vitamin D levels. I'm seeing my lovely nurse on Wednesday and I'm going to have a word with her about it. He's decided to try a group for depression at our local Mind next week so we'll see what difference that makes

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm sure that you are right @Diamum5972 My hubby and I decided that nothing would come before our boy, we were lucky in that our other two were so much older - 16 and 14 when he was born so we could devote ourselves to him. We believe that we gave him a good childhood just as your dedication gave your DS the best chance of a full life, what's he has achieved is remarkable. I'm sorry that he's having a hard time just now and I really hope that the MIND group will help. What impresses me is the fact that he can make genuine friendships. You should be proud of what you have achieved together.

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Aww thanks @13lizanne! A seems to be feeling better now he's managed to eat some chicken dippers, he's talking to Sophie on the PlayStation and she's cheering him up no end. He didn't go online yesterday because of his cough and sore throat and he really missed talking to her. They haven't managed to meet up yet, they're waiting until he's feeling better. I'm in stitches at the moment, he's talking to her in a Scottish accent! That's a sure sign he's feeling better :)

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That boy has class! My friend's daughter has a permanent American accent (deep South) but A obviously knows what's appealing to "the ladies" just consider Sean Connery, Ewan McGregor, James McEnvoy et al :) Glad he's feeling better now. My 'boys'have all gone home now D went off will a full tummy, he seems quite proud of his black eye and fully recovered. Are you watching Casualty later?

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ha ha you're right there! One of his most prominent traits was echolalia, he could watch an episode of Thomas the Tank Engine and recite it word for word at nursery! When he first joined his drama group he liked amazing them by slipping in and out of different accents, in fact they used that talent in a production last year, he played 4 different parts and each one had a different accent!

I'm glad D is OK, the full tummy helps any boy (no matter what age!) feel better. I don't usually watch TV live because A's collection of PlayStations are hooked up to the big TV in the living room. Any telly I like is watched on catchup on my computer upstairs. I used to watch Casualty years ago when it first started (think of the Charlie and Ewart years!) but I got out of the habit. It's very hard to catch up when you don't know who anybody is!

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I just started watching Casualty two years ago- before that we watched Ds collection of Fireman Sam and Postman Pat DVDs non stop for 25yrs :) You seem to be in the place I was in -your lad has first dibs on the main TV ! I'm signing off for the evening now, hope we all get a good night's sleep. Speak tomorrow B X

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I just started watching Casualty two years ago- before that we watched Ds collection of Fireman Sam and Postman Pat DVDs non stop for 25yrs :) You seem to be in the place I was in -your lad has first dibs on the main TV ! I'm signing off for the evening now, hope we all get a good night's sleep. Speak tomorrow B X
Lol! I'm going to get in a nice warm bath now, Good night everyone xx

S

Shar67

What age did your child start to walk? Jack was 6 months old, he never crawled, we were later told this was because his brain calculated using two limbs was better than using 4. I have read that lots of ASD children are either very late or very early with milestone, he didn't speak until he was 4

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Our son spoke at the normal age -9mths he had few words, walked 11 months by 15 months he had over 70 words, all other milestones were early. Then he had his first MMR JAB Never spoke again, lost his motor control, wasn't toiletted until he was 10yrs old even now has to be reminded, can't read, write or do the simplest tasks for himself. Needs 24 hr care and now I've upset myself recalling it all. His brothers have Masters and PhD degrees, he was on course for same- Bl**dy vaccine damage!

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What age did your child start to walk? Jack was 6 months old, he never crawled, we were later told this was because his brain calculated using two limbs was better than using 4. I have read that lots of ASD children are either very late or very early with milestone, he didn't speak until he was 4
My son was 9 months old when he started walking although he started cruising round the furniture at 7 months. He very briefly crawled (backwards!) but decided he liked the view better when he was standing up :) Just like my younger brother (who also has Aspergers) his speech was delayed - he could recognise single letters and numbers when he was 2 but didn't start talking in sentences until he was 4. Echolalia was one of his symptoms so his sentences were direct quotes from his favourite TV programmes! He could play out entire episodes of Thomas the Tank Engine, including the obligatory impersonation of Ringo Starr :)

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Our boy had a brain scan two days ago to try to determine what is causing his ftrequent ear infections. D has had almost continual infection in his right ear for years now. In fact it is being mooted tyhat his recent "faint" was, in fact, dizziness caused by the latest infection. Do any of you folks have the same problem with your ASD young ones? Apparently ear infections are fairly common in ASD people. I'd be interested in finding out just how common this is

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
A used to have ear infections all the time when he was little but he seemed to grow out of them as he got older. He does have back to back colds though, unfortunately - half the time the house looks like an explosion in a tissue factory! He was diagnosed with asthma the same year he was diagnosed with Aspergers and I'm sure his immunity has been affected by that.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
One of the autism practitioners up here who has worked in the field for 20+ yrs told me that ear infections are common in ASD people especially when they are young, I was wondering why. Asthma and allergies seem quite common too. There's A with both ailments, makes me think!

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
HAPPY MOTHERS' DAY EVERYONE