13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Just back, it stopped raining 10miles north of home and started snowing instead. We've had a great time, picnic in the car watching the freezing sleet and snow and D "won" lots on the 2p machines and is overjoyed. Back home to watch some ceebeebees ( DS favourite channel while here - nostalgia?) then dinner which he wants now. If I hear "adoo" one more time I'll be going adoo permanently :)

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like D still enjoyed himself though so thats not a total loss.

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Ah, the Scots are a hardy breed - it will take more than a bit of bad weather to put them off :)

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Well, yesterday was different - DS decided he wanted to stay at home instead of visiting mum! He woke up early and started playing on the PlayStation with his friends and when it was time to leave he said he didn't want to leave his friends and could he stay home alone! I was understandably concerned but he said he's used to me going out for the afternoon, he would be fine if I left him a packed lunch and his usual munchies. He has an emergency book that I wrote out when I was first diagnosed that lists what to do if anything unexpected happens and he was under strict instructions to ring me at mums if he felt at all panicky but he was absolutely fine. We did leave a little earlier than usual which he was grateful for because he hadn't thought ahead as far as tea!

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's really fantastic news @Diamum5972 another big step forward for your "boy" you must have mixed feelings though?

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Definitely @13lizanne, I was proud of him for making the decision and following it through but on the other hand it wasn't the same at mums. Both mum and me were worried that he wouldn't be able to use the phone if he had a panic attack and we were on tenterhooks all afternoon! Luckily he was absolutely fine but I think I gained a few more silver hairs :)

Reactions: 4 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I know! With our boy we have to totally trust the people who "work" with him because D has no ability to communicate apart from a few facial expressions. So while we're proud that he is coping, and enjoying, his supported living we have to learn to "let go" every single day. So although you and I have our two lads at the opposite ends of the spectrum we have exactly the same worries! That's a mum's job I suppose. :)

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Absolutely! That's what I love about talking to everyone here, no matter where our loved ones are on the spectrum we all understand. I pass it on to mum as well, she doesn't go on the computer because of her vision problems so I'm her only outlet when things get too much for her

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That hug is for your Mum x do you tell her about @4ratbags who is now raising the second generation? A real heroine.

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That hug is for your Mum x do you tell her about @4ratbags who is now raising the second generation? A real heroine.
Yes I did, mum's full of admiration for her. She understands how hard it can be because when I had an accident and was in hospital DS went to live with mum and dad. I ended up having an operation to put a metal pin in my shoulder and they were fantastic, they never complained once.

Jo073

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I have a nine year old with asd, not too severe, but classified special needs. I was diagnosed type 2 recently and have no idea how to explain it to him. My levels are high, so I have to test several times a day and he panicked when he saw the needles. I now have to leave the room to test, but he knows why and gets upset. Any ideas on how to help him would be greatly appreciated.....

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @Jo073, welcome to the forum. I'm newly diagnosed Type 2 as well and my son has Aspergers although he's older than your lad, he's 22! I don't know how well your son will be able to understand what's happening but when my son was younger he loved books so if there was something that confused him a book relating to the subject was a good way of getting him to understand. Alternatively, you could try breaking it down into understandable segments and making it part of his routine. My lad loves to feel helpful so if I included him in the process it made the transition much easier, I.e. I need to check my blood at 2 o'clock, can you tell me when it's time? Or can you fetch my meter for me. I hope this will help, let us know how you get on

Last edited by a moderator:

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Jo073 I didn't attempt to answer your question as my son is at the opposite end of the spectrum to your wee fellow and knew that @Diamum5972 would be the person to help. We all have children or grandchildren with varying degrees of complex needs but all understand the way we have to creatively approach life with our special children. You'll find encouragement and support here and, as diamum says - please let us know how you are getting on

lindaburner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I'm wondering how many diabetic mums have children on the Autism Spectrum? I had my son at 40yrs old, & he was diagnosed with ADHD & Autism at age 7. I found a research paper online that confirmed that diabetics who leave having kids till later in their life, tend to have ASD kids.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi there, that's an interesting theory, I haven't heard of this until now. When I had my Autistic son I was in my 30s and not diabetic. I weighed, at that time 55kg, I am 5.6 tall, ate healthily and played sports. My son is profoundly autistic, non-verbal and with severe learning disabilities linked to the autism. I gave up work to care for him and my GP reckons my type 2 which surfaced 16yrs later was caused by the constant flood of cortisol caused by the extreme stress of caring 24/7. I didn't have an unbroken nights sleep for all of these years (and more) gave up my active lifestyle and snatched meals when I could. We have two other sons one with a masters degree, the other with a PHD neither of whom is on the spectrum so, in my case - no, that doesn't apply. I am interested to hear from the other posters on this thread though.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi
I'm wondering how many diabetic mums have children on the Autism Spectrum? I had my son at 40yrs old, & he was diagnosed with ADHD & Autism at age 7. I found a research paper online that confirmed that diabetics who leave having kids till later in their life, tend to have ASD kids.
Could you give us a link to the paper please @lindaburner or a reference, thanks

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi
I can't help you I'm afraid, I had my son aged 21 and he was diagnosed with Aspergers aged 6. I was diagnosed Type 2 in October last year after being prediabetic for about 5 years off and on. I would definitely be interested in reading this paper though, as my mum (who was diagnosed Type 2 over 10 years ago) believes she could have been diabetic for 15 years before diagnosis and my younger brother also has Aspergers

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I can now breathe a sigh of relief, I did a fasting test on DS this morning and he was 5.3! To celebrate we went into town and I bought him the smartphone he's been wanting for ages. He's now happily listening to Doctor Who audio adventures while playing Minecraft :)

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm so pleased @diamum5672 didn't want to say before but I know how hard that would have been for DS I bet you're feeling pretty relieved right now x