Children of a parent with diabetes type 2

Puczini

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have two toddlers who are of normal weight but I’d say they take after me in terms of being slightly “chubby” from a young age. I try to get them to eat healthy but it’s hard as they only want things that are not healthy and very processed. How do I stop them from heading in the same direction as I have (and my mother before me). They see that I am very overweight and probably think it’s normal but I don’t want them to end up with diabetes like me. I’m trying to eat healthy and lose weight but it’s a constant struggle especially now when it’s only a few weeks till Christmas and there are treats everywhere. Any tips from other parents?

• Hug
Reactions: Ashybang and filly

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome @Puczini

It is challenging as a parent. I really wished I'd known what I now know when my kids were little. I definitely did not bring them up low carbs but lots of 'healthy' carbs. That said they are all adults and they know my issues and my diet. They are already much better informed than I was.I hope they take it on board before they are diagnosed. Luckily they have one parent who is not a diabetic- both of mine were/are.

• Agree
Reactions: HSSS and filly

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I recommend the "type one grit" facebook page. It's mostly for parents of diabetic kids and is good for all types of diabetes.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have two toddlers who are of normal weight but I’d say they take after me in terms of being slightly “chubby” from a young age. I try to get them to eat healthy but it’s hard as they only want things that are not healthy and very processed. How do I stop them from heading in the same direction as I have (and my mother before me). They see that I am very overweight and probably think it’s normal but I don’t want them to end up with diabetes like me. I’m trying to eat healthy and lose weight but it’s a constant struggle especially now when it’s only a few weeks till Christmas and there are treats everywhere. Any tips from other parents?
Ultimately as they are only toddlers it’s about the example and food you provide. They have no access to foods themselves so if they are eating unhealthy and processed foods it’s because you provide them. I know that sounds incredibly harsh and is far easier said than done but sadly it’s also true.

My kids grew up with less junk than many of their friends but they did have some and I was ignorant about the effects of “healthy” carbs. They always had cheap and easy mixed veg in almost everything even when they were in their “I hate everything” phases and real meats and fish more than processed for example. Fruit juice, breads, pasta, rice played too big a part though. Actual sugar/dessert/junk was not a daily event

Yours are still little and you have plenty of time to gently switch their diets and educate them on better choices as you adjust your own. Mine were teens on my diagnosis and over the last 6 years have gradually changed their diets further after watching mine change. They still eat carbs but less than previously and less than the average person on the street and those they do have are less processed. They’ve all learned to cook and bake in a lower carb way too. We’ve always strongly encouraged sports and physical activities like their non diabetic and much more active dad does a lot of. Hopefully it’ll be enough.