CHOCOLATE PARADISE

hawnet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
judgemental people, billy liars,
Nobody in my house is keen on dark chocolate which is a win, however I made the nutty chocolate and they love it!!

@cath99 Make it for yourself dear and enjoy the experience, they can go to the bakers. ;O)

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Have done a lot of hunting today so this has lead to quite a few questions so please bear with me:

Lidils only seem to have dark choc at carbs 23g/100 anyone know if they do lower? or should l get lindt which is about 90p more in price?

Reading up on Almond flour it has a lot of negatives would coconut flour do instead seems good and is lot cheaper as well?
I did find ground almonds is that the same thing if coconut flour wont do

Where do l get hazelnut flour or in the ones that call for that could l use ground almonds or coconut flour?

We dont use any sweetners so am confused by the volume as l never really looked till today
Will Canderel do or should it be Splenda or Stevia you seem to swap between the last l notice the comment about Splendia and chocolate but Z thingy is very expensive.
How do l do the calculation for amounts of sweetner if not mentioned or a different one ....I think reading it is just taste as you mix could this be confirmed please

Think thats all for now :nailbiting: really grateful for all advice and help
Thanks MID :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I buy Lidl 74% choc I think it has a nice taste, and cheap.

Almond flour is basically ground almonds. Coconut flour is lighter, so in cakes makes a lighter fluffier cake. I use either.

With sweetners it can be confusing. Some people find that some give them an after taste. I don't. I use canderel or splenda, but I think splenda is better when cooking. With measurements I would say try whats on the recipe and then next time you can always alter it if you find something too sweet or not sweet enough. Or taste it as you add it to see what you think.

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I've tried everything and always come back to splenda, i prefer it, xylitol tastes like soap to me, coconut flour is extremely absorbent so you need to use lots of eggs when using it (which is fine) almond flour is great imo if you buy it from asian shops you get big bags of it and its a lot cheaper

chocolate is all good to me lol it dosent seem to matter which brand and the darker the better so i tend to go for 85 or 90% plus no one else likes it so they don't eat it hehe

if he recipe requires liquid sweetener just dissolve the splenda in a little water, someone recently told me to do that and i had to slap my forehead after spending hours looking in shops for it

Reactions: 4 people

hawnet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I used lindt dark chocolate 85 or 70, I looked at the carbs in both green and blacks and lindt came out lower if I recall correctly.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
yes but lindt expensive as well so l am going with lidl but more carbs about 4gram but 125gram bars as opposed to 100grm and 99p against 1.80.
l figure once all mushed up and spread out it wont be such a big difference.
l just want to check out Aldi prices//carbs

Reactions: 3 people

hawnet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was in my local supermarket and my nearest lidl/aldi is about a 11 miles away :D

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Not good complain to lidl or aldi the way they are going they may look to open a store near you we have about 4 of each in our town a tad ott!

I would use the cheaper as a cooking choc
As an eating choc though l love the 90%lindt heaven but l like dark chocolate

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
just the chat about all this chocolate is making me drool i must banish myself to the trdmill before stuff my face with every bar in a 2 mile radius xx

Reactions: 4 people

hawnet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Its poison, its poison keep saying that!! :rolleyes:

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I made Whitby's boozy chocs today :)
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1391277422.578402.jpg

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
On the Rocky Roads add in sugar free jelly made as per the sugar free jelly sweets recipe someplace here.
And if to be taken to help during excercise or maybe family members....Add in seed free raisins. As to amount whatever you feel like :)

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
Loving this thread. Thought I'd have to give chocolate up for good. Made hubby chocolate muffins (he's not diabetic), didn't tell him what was in them, he loved them :) Now there's none left :( will have to make & freeze before he sees them :rolleyes: :D

T2, Metformin 850 Mg (1 tablet twice daily), venlafaxine 75mg (1 tablet daily), buscopan 10mg (2 tablets 4 times daily)

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I buy Lidl 74% choc I think it has a nice taste, and cheap.

Almond flour is basically ground almonds. Coconut flour is lighter, so in cakes makes a lighter fluffier cake. I use either.

With sweetners it can be confusing. Some people find that some give them an after taste. I don't. I use canderel or splenda, but I think splenda is better when cooking. With measurements I would say try whats on the recipe and then next time you can always alter it if you find something too sweet or not sweet enough. Or taste it as you add it to see what you think.

Any idea of how much Stevia I'd use instead of Splenda? I know Stevia is four times sweeter than regular sugar but a lot of the recipes I'm trying to convert from American measurements to English have me stuck as they use Splenda. As I've got a large jar of Stevia I'm reluctant to buy Splenda at this point in my experiments. Thanks

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
From what we have made make to taste stand there dunking in finger or spoon and keep tasting.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yum!!!

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

S

Sable_Jan

@WhitbyJet you wonderful person (can't tell if male or female with the cat pic ;))
Your recipe's sound absolutely gorgeous - was sent the link by a lady on another thread.
Will be trying them soon. Noticed one recipe says to use quark? Is this similar to "greek style yoghurt? Know it can't be philadelphia type soft cheese cos you list that as an ingredient in one of the other recipes