Cholesterol gone UP on LCHF :-(

Ladyanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I had a HbA1c of 52 at the end of August, and a cholesterol level of 4.7. i went on a low fat diet, dropped 11 pounds, then the weight loss stopped. I looked for help online and discovered the LCHF lifestyle. I started a ketogenic LCHF diet, and have now lost a total of 20 pounds. I have just had my second HbA1c blood test results and amazingly my levels have gone down from 52 to 40!! I am sooooo pleased! The only annoying thing is that my cholesterol level has gone up from 4.7 to 5.9. Has anyone else experienced this whilst on a LCHF diet?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your cholesterol levels might rise, but only temporarily if the information from Dr Atkins is correct - and it might well be that you have an increase in beneficial forms of cholesterol - that is what happens to the guy in the 'cereal killers' film - - so really it might well be that the rest of the population has low levels of beneficial cholesterol, rather than low carbers having high levels. Personally I would find lower HbA1c levels far more reassuring than lower cholesterol

Ladyanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Your cholesterol levels might rise, but only temporarily if the information from Dr Atkins is correct - and it might well be that you have an increase in beneficial forms of cholesterol - that is what happens to the guy in the 'cereal killers' film - - so really it might well be that the rest of the population has low levels of beneficial cholesterol, rather than low carbers having high levels. Personally I would find lower HbA1c levels far more reassuring than lower cholesterol

Thank you for that, it did cross my mind that the good cholesterol had gone up, but I don't have a way of checking that as I only get a single, end number from the docs. And yes I am supremely happy with the HbA1c levels and will carry on with the keto diet xx

Reactions: dbr10

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well done! That's a marvelous turnaround and you should be proud. There are continuing questions about healthy cholesterol markers but I'd bet your ratios are good. You have a right to ask for details if you'd prefer.

Reactions: Ladyanne

Ladyanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done! That's a marvelous turnaround and you should be proud. There are continuing questions about healthy cholesterol markers but I'd bet your ratios are good. You have a right to ask for details if you'd prefer.

Thank you! Yes I will ask if they have the breakdown of the cholesterol numbers when I go to my next appointment. xx

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you! Yes I will ask if they have the breakdown of the cholesterol numbers when I go to my next appointment. xx

We all need to be more proactive and ask questions. Sometimes difficult but we're strong and can do it. :happy:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Dont put too much emphasis on cholesterol levels especially a total... look at your trigs...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you signed up with the docs for your Patient Online access?
Every gp in the country should have implemented this by April 2016.

Basically, you ask at reception, fill out a form, show some ID, and a few days/weeks later you get a letter through the post giving you secure online access to gp test results.

You may find out more about your cholesterol (and blood glucose) test results that way...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You can sign up at GP and they give you a login name straight away to set it up...
It is easy peasy and you can see all GP requested results online. If hospital requests them you won't be able to view them.....

Ladyanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No i didn't realise I could do that ( you can tell im new to this!) Thanks for all your help . Im glad I plucked up the courage to post for the first time x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
No i didn't realise I could do that ( you can tell im new to this!) Thanks for all your help . Im glad I plucked up the courage to post for the first time x

Glad you did, welcome aboard... !! I'm
Still learning 30+ years after diagnosis!! Lol...

It is good to be an online patient... presciptions can be easier (make sure you have exemption card if on meds for diabetes), appointments are much easier to get! And test results come back so quick!! My hubby gets his thyroid done in morning, results on by 4pm, appt for phone consultation done that night for next day... increase in meds for him all done within 24 hours..

It should be simple to organise.. (but there is always somebody that may get difficulty!!)