Cholesterol Numbers

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Can someone please explain the Cholesterol numbers. What to expect with low carb. I know mine is high but we are only given 1 number here. So not very good when deciding if Keto/Low carb is having an effect.

I did originally have it all written down on a piece of paper but have now lost.

Thank you in advance.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cholesterol numbers can be pretty dynamic as well as being slightly dependent on what you have eaten and drunk in the 12 hours leading up to the blood draw.
If you hadn't water fasted for 12-14 hours before the blood was taken its pretty unlikely to be very meaningful.
The total figure is also considered to be pretty meaningless.
Is there a way you can get the results again?

Reactions: filly

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can someone please explain the Cholesterol numbers. What to expect with low carb. I know mine is high but we are only given 1 number here. So not very good when deciding if Keto/Low carb is having an effect.

I did originally have it all written down on a piece of paper but have now lost.

Thank you in advance.
I am pretty sure your doctor is obliged to give you a print out of all your blood test results which will have the full breakdown or ask them to email it to you. I don’t think they can say no to this request.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
I am pretty sure your doctor is obliged to give you a print out of all your blood test results which will have the full breakdown or ask them to email it to you. I don’t think they can say no to this request.
I shall try but it hasn't worked up to now.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We don't get a breakdown of numbers here unless the doctor specifically asks for a test with the different types of lipids etc. We are also told not to fast, although I always do. We just get a total.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
We don't get a breakdown of numbers here unless the doctor specifically asks for a test with the different types of lipids etc. We are also told not to fast, although I always do. We just get a total.
Well don't feel alone now. I also fast. Not due a test I suspect until next year. So far refused Statins.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Or you could ask for online access to your medical records?
Which country do you live in?
UK. Can't get them online either. Not sure why but won't allow.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you emailed them requesting this? Or did they just give you a verbal no?
I think I would write a polite and short email saying if they are unable to give online access could they print a copy of your latest full blood test results and post it you

just found this online
https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-conte...-need-to-know-about-your-gp-online-record.pdf

I am sure you have a right to see your results but trying to find the evidence to back that up, anyone else know?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
England Scotland NI Wales?
Unfortunately they have different rules. England so far as I am aware the surgery is obligated to give you online access.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you emailed them requesting this? Or did they just give you a verbal no?
I think I would write a polite and short email saying if they are unable to give online access could they print a copy of your latest full blood test results and post it you

just found this online
https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-conte...-need-to-know-about-your-gp-online-record.pdf

I am sure you have a right to see your results but trying to find the evidence to back that up, anyone else know?
Doesn't apply in Wales, which is where I am.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The surgery MUST allow access as it's an NHS instruction to them 2 years ago. Ask to see the Practice Manager and politely insist.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well, I am allowed to request prescriptions via the web site but nothing else. Going in on Monday for next blood test so shall ask.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I am allowed to request prescriptions via the web site but nothing else. Going in on Monday for next blood test so shall ask.
If that involves a cholesterol test then water only fast for 12 -14 hours beforehand and ask for a full lipid panel. And tell them that you have fasted.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's only old records. Not accessing test results etc up to date. I can only order prescriptions online at my surgery.
But surely your "health record" would contain everything that has happened in the past including your most recent test results?