Cholesterol Question

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am trying to understand my results from back in November.

Under the cholesterol section it says:

Serum cholesterol 6.9
Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio 6.1
Serum HDL cholesterol level 1.13
Se non HDL cholesterol level 5.77

Trigs not specifically mentioned.

Doesn't seem like any that I have seen in other posts.

Any help in interpreting these please?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Calling @bulkbiker or @Bluetit1802 who have a better grasp on cholesterol numbers than me. In their absence you could put your numbers in here to see what it reckons
http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php
Unfortunately that one won't work since there is no results for LDL or Trigs - Non-HDL is the sum of those two but isn't split into the two values, my docs are now showing Non-HDL instead of LDL and trigs as well.
I know when I asked about it a while back there is a ratio to check that deals with HDL and Non-HDL rather than using trigs and LDL, I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: typo's

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox, thanks. Still not sure what to enter in which box!
Unfortunately that one won't work since there is no results for LDL or Trigs - Non-HDL is the sum of those two but isn't split into the two values, my docs are now showing Non-HDL instead of LDL and trigs as well.
I know when I asked about it a while back there is a ratio to check that deals with HDL and Non-DL rather than using trigs and LDL, I'll see if I can find it.

I think there’s a way of working out separate numbers but I don’t know how! Hopefully the members I tagged will come and help you out.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am trying to understand my results from back in November.

Under the cholesterol section it says:

Serum cholesterol 6.9
Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio 6.1
Serum HDL cholesterol level 1.13
Se non HDL cholesterol level 5.77

Trigs not specifically mentioned.

Doesn't seem like any that I have seen in other posts.

Any help in interpreting these please?
Looks like you didn't get any measurements of Trigs or LDL so I don't think you can calculate them from the one Non HDL number sorry.. Makes the test pretty meaningless. Best ask for a full lipid panel next time and fast for 12 hours beforehand.

Reactions: Freema

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, I go for my next test next Friday. I have an idea that someone said they didn't test LDL any more, but at that time I was a bit overwhelmed.

So they are trying to stuff me with statins based on my total cholesterol.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I go for my next test next Friday. I have an idea that someone said they didn't test LDL any more, but at that time I was a bit overwhelmed.

Yep...sorry.. that's the way they roll... prescribe possible lifetime/life altering drugs with half(or less) of the necessary info..scandalous really.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't really looked at cholesterol, I have been too wrapped up in the Diabetes. Better do a little reading. Thanks @bulkbiker.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

There is nothing to stop you asking for a full lipid panel (this will include the whole lot) and you need this information if statins are being pushed (so does your doctor) If I were you I would make a phone call tomorrow and ask for it to be included, otherwise it is fairly meaningless.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for coming to the rescue @bulkbiker and @Bluetit1802. Currently my surgery tests and publishes all the figures including working out my Total cholesterol/HDL ratio, I hope that doesn’t change as I concentrate on that ratio which showed an improvement last time. My next blood test is in 30th so we’ll see if the info I get has changed.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just out of interest, I asked to see my results on line. The answer is NO. The reason? In case we see something that upsets us.

Letter of complaint going with me.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: jacko1970s and HSSS

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like a plan, thanks @Bluetit1802.
Agree do ask for full lipid panel as you are having a blood draw done soon and also remember if you do that you’ll need to fast for 12 to 14 hours, water only during that time! On my recent tests I’ve also avoided alcohol during previous two days - not sure if you drink at all - it can I gather affect triglycerides level.
At my last not full lipid test in May - my surgery seems to use this as it’s default test - I was shocked to have a total cholesterol of 13.7 but no useful breakdown so I stuck to my guns re statins for me and asked for time and a full lipid panel in August. However I did pay for two interim private full lipid panels so could keep an eye on the ratio and check to see if it was lowering. Good news is that last weeks private test was:
Total 7.54
HDL 2.47
Ldl 4.56
Trigs 1.12
Non HDL cholesterol 5.07
RAtio 3.05
As ratio should be less than 4 at least I know that despite the large ldl and highish total cholesterol figure I’m going in right direction! Will see what August brings .....,
Good luck with getting this sorted as well as your online results access dreadful that they can deny you access to your results...

Reactions: gemma_T1

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suppose the surgery could argue that I could get a printout of my results, but I had to make an appointment with the Dr and wait 2 weeks for it. And of course, taking up an appointment.

I see on Amazon you can pay £35 for a private test at a lab. May have to go that route.

Your doing well @shelley262.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree do ask for full lipid panel as you are having a blood draw done soon and also remember if you do that you’ll need to fast for 12 to 14 hours, water only during that time! On my recent tests I’ve also avoided alcohol during previous two days - not sure if you drink at all - it can I gather affect triglycerides level.
At my last not full lipid test in May - my surgery seems to use this as it’s default test - I was shocked to have a total cholesterol of 13.7 but no useful breakdown so I stuck to my guns re statins for me and asked for time and a full lipid panel in August. However I did pay for two interim private full lipid panels so could keep an eye on the ratio and check to see if it was lowering. Good news is that last weeks private test was:
Total 7.54
HDL 2.47
Ldl 4.56
Trigs 1.12
Non HDL cholesterol 5.07
RAtio 3.05
As ratio should be less than 4 at least I know that despite the large ldl and highish total cholesterol figure I’m going in right direction! Will see what August brings .....,
Good luck with getting this sorted as well as your online results access dreadful that they can deny you access to your results...
Which ratio are you looking at?
Your Trig/ HDL is 0.453 which is stunning..! Dead jealous of that one..

Reactions: Bluetit1802