Cholesterol

Bridie9408

My GP has put me on Atorvastatin does this mean I have high cholesterol. Is there any other type 1diabetic taking this and is there any food I should avoid . I am asking because these days you don't get full information from GPS no matter how much you ask.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Lots and lots of T1s take statins, sometimes as a preventative measure rather than because their cholesterol is particularly high. If you contact your surgery they should be able to give you your latest cholesterol readings and someone on these boards can probably explain them to you.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP has put me on Atorvastatin does this mean I have high cholesterol.
The whole question of statins (and by association, cholesterol) is often debated on this forum. The general population has a total cholesterol
level at (and above) which statins are medically indicated. Unless I'm not up-to-date this is 5 mmol/L. For diabetics, this is lowered to 4.
Whether lower cholesterol is helpful, or whether statins are safe to take, is a whole different matter, and you'll find may threads on this by searching either term.

I am asking because these days you don't get full information from GPS no matter how much you ask.
The best way to see your relationship with your GP is as a partnership, where you can both enter into a discussion, then YOU decide what's appropriate. If my GP wanted me to take a tablet, I'd want to know why, and what test results supported it. So see getting a copy of your results as part of that partnership. Results are often where many here disagree with medical recommendations. This is why it's already been suggested you get hold of your results, and report them here. We'll then come back with arguments, articles and videos you may care to follow up on.

Personally I'm a statin 'denier' whose TC (total cholesterol) in the 5s means my GP would love me on a statin. Increasingly doctors, cardiologists etc are turning their back on the need to statinate, or lower cholesterol. Dr Malcolm Kendrick's The Great Cholesterol Con is a good book to start with.
Others tolerate statins well and choose to take them.
Others start statins, and find the side-effects untolerable.

The final choice should be yours, and hopefully an informed one.
Geoff

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP has put me on Atorvastatin does this mean I have high cholesterol. Is there any other type 1diabetic taking this and is there any food I should avoid . I am asking because these days you don't get full information from GPS no matter how much you ask.

The first thing you need to know is the break down of your cholesterol. You need to know
Total
HDL
LDL
Triglycerides

Without all that information you can't really make any sort of decision about taking statins (and neither should your doctor)

If you ring the receptionist you can ask for a print out of your last test results. These will include your cholesterol and hopefully a full breakdown. Are you in England? If so, your GP surgery should be putting test results on-line. You can ask if this is the case and how to register for it.

Reactions: Bridie9408

Bridie9408

The first thing you need to know is the break down of your cholesterol. You need to know
Total
HDL
LDL
Triglycerides

Without all that information you can't really make any sort of decision about taking statins (and neither should your doctor)

If you ring the receptionist you can ask for a print out of your last test results. These will include your cholesterol and hopefully a full breakdown. Are you in England? If so, your GP surgery should be putting test results on-line. You can ask if this is the case and how to register for it.
I am from Northern Ireland. The chances of getting your results online where I live you must be joking.