Cholesterol

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi. Another question after my visit to the diabetic clinic! My cholesterol is 2.4 I don’t understand why they won’t take me off them so I asked yesterday and the consultant said they also protect against heart attack and stroke. I really don’t want to take tablets if I don’t have to, if I stopped would they really tell me off at my next appt?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just to be clear, your Total Cholesterol is 2.4 and you are on a statin?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A cholesterol level as low as 2.4 may well be causing body damage as your body needs cholesterol for repairs. If you are on statins and your level is showing as 2.4 then you MUST discuss this with the consultant. Unless he/she can show that you have an unusual condition that needs cholesterol that low then you should insist that the statin dose is adjusted to make your readings nearer to 3-4. Note that the cholesterol total figure is not of that much use. Your consultant should be taking fasting blood tests of what's called a Cholesterol Lipids panel and then looking at the various ratios. Any statin dose should be based on making sure that the ratios are within a good range.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
No one can force you to take them and they don't have any right to be telling you off either.

@HSSS posted a good read, worth reading it.