cinnamon ??

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was just looking for opinions as I have received conflicting advice from HCPs and reading on the subject.

Can the use of cinnamon help to lower blood glucose levels?

Any opinions welcome.

evilcat

It's not very scientific, but sometimes I'll have a latte from the coffee shop at work and if I put cinnamon on the top, the increase in BG is reduced. I have the same thing to eat for breakfast and lunch each day (very sad!) so I'm pretty sure it's the cinnamon making a difference...

suzie_girl

I'm putting LOADS on my breakfast! Perhaps it helps, it frantic hurt, and I live the taste :) really interested in this advice tho and it makes me smile

Ausra

He :D
Remember reading something like that a year ago,after that getting obsessed with cinnamon and even drinking tea made from cinnamon..ha ha :lol: Can't remember it helped or not, but i definatelly got bored :)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Probaby not...

But it's nice though anyway isn't it? I've just got back from the US, where I was amazed to find the whole country absolutely stinks of cinnamon at Christmas time. It's like they have cinnamon gas that they pump into the aircon or something. It made me very hungry the entire time that I was there (which is probably the point) and on one occasion forced me to eat some very diabetes unfriendly cinnamon flavored pumpkin pie. Yum.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Borofergie. We lived in the USA for 2 years and I longed for apple pie on my return. The strap-line 'As American as apple pie' should really read 'As American as apple-flavoured cinnamon pie'. You can have too much cinnamon although I do like it and rumour has it that it does help with diabetes!

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Cinammon has certainly worked for me.

I always sprinkle it over my porridge and it helps reduce the blood sugar spike.

I also now take a high doze multivitamin which includes cinammon. :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Like everything it is probably best not to take too much cinnamon, just like other vitamins and supliments it can be dangerous if taken in excess. As a diabetic I personally would not risk taking anything that may damage my kidneys and you should accountant your selves with as many 'facts' as you can before self treating with anything especially something that may cause more harm than good.

Most cinnamon you eat here is Cassia cinnamon which has been proved to be bad for the kidneys and liver as ity contains a chemical called coumarin, google it :thumbup:

Wiki said:
WARNING: Don't eat too much Cinnamon. according to wikipedia the "cinnamon" we get here isn't "true cinnamon" and it contains coumarin which bad for your liver and kidneys at least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/816897-overview

http://www.mendosa.com/cinnamon.htm

http://marycrawford.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... toxic.html

http://www.healthandnutritiontips.net/c ... fects.html

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
political correctness in any form
I have been using it for many years. Dont know if it works but I use it as a substitute for sugar, flavouring fruit and cereals and really like the taste.

pollyr

Cheryl

I love my spices! I'm type 1, so there's no point in me trying the cinnamon thing. My partner read about cinnamon a year or two back & told me about it. I did some internet research & this is what I remember (hope I get it right): There is some evidence that a particular type of Chinese cinnamon can help type 2 diabetics. You need to take quite a lot (2 grammes or 6 grammes?) a day for it to have any effect. Only the specific type of cinnamon has been shown to work & I don't know if it is easy to get hold of in the UK. I don't know how scientific the studies have been, but as I love cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger & so on, I'd give it a go (if there was any point for me) after checking out the possible side effects. Yum yum!!

cearapeter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've used it for years on my breakfast cereal. Not sure if it really does any good in the scientific sense, but I like the taste.

Ceara

DanP

[urlen.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon[/url]

I thought the research in the US was actually carried out on cassia not cinnamon - I understnd in the US most Cinnamon is actually Cassia as it has a stronger taste.

In places like walmart ( Asdas owner from the US) in the pharmacy section they have sections dedicated to diabetics and they sell bottles of capsules eg 180 x 1g for about 12 dollars plus it has something along the lines of chromomion added to it as well. On the bottle it suggest you consume 2g per day.

Has it any validity? Well in the letigious society america is I dont think a big company or corporation would expose its self to ambulance chasers, but also due to the fact of possible costs of obtaining mediactions for those without insurance etc if it worked in similar way to metformin ( another plant extract and I am on 2g a day) if its cheap enough why not - 12 dollars for 3 months isnt exactly a huge cost

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought some McCormicks cinnamon in America in the summer. Maybe its just me but I thought it worked better than the stuff I get from various UK supermarkets. It also makes my breakfast taste nice.

suem

Hi i take this and have found it to be of help to me...here is te link to information on it for you to read and decide yourself if it is worth a try...
http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk/natural-health-articles/diabetes/glucotor-cinnamon-added-diabetes-supplement-00697.html
Regards
Sue

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
I love it. Sprinkle it on my Bran in the morning and coffee during the day, seems to help 'iron' out the highs & lows of the day.