Coconut Flour

Amethyst579

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Does anyone have a reliable and tasty recipe that they have used coconut flour in and would share here? I would like to try making a plain and also a chocolate cake with coconut flour. I have looked online, most recipes seem to include ground almonds and are also very heavy on eggs. I don't have a problem with using 6 eggs in a cake, just wondering if it ends up as some kind of glorified pancake?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The reason most recipes include ground almonds is that coconut flour is so dry that it is hard to get a decent consistency using it by itself.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @chalup's comment regarding coconut flour! I've never had much luck at all with it so I generally use ground almonds (cheaper than almond flour but a bit coarser) in my baking and I also use (DIY) ground hazelnuts with Green & Blacks cocoa powder to make my chocolate muffins. But I've recently discovered that Amazon sell ground hazelnuts though it's more expensive than grinding the nuts yourself.

Robbity

PS I think we may sometimes need extra eggs to make up for the lack of gluten in nut flours??

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Before baking powder was available, eggs were used to raise cakes, by beating them to a stiff foam and then carefully folding in the other ingredients - don't slam the oven door shut....

Reactions: PenfoldAPD

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Stumbled across a recipe for Lemon Pound Cake last night which calls for eight, yes, eight eggs and loads of lovely cream to hydrate all that coconut flour. I'm willing to give it a go in the name of research... :)

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Stumbled across a recipe for Lemon Pound Cake last night which calls for eight, yes, eight eggs and loads of lovely cream to hydrate all that coconut flour. I'm willing to give it a go in the name of research... :)
Oh sound lovely! Keep us posted x

Reactions: dbr10

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the comments about coconut flour being drying. I also find it chewy! Not my favourite LC flour.

One thing it does work well in is LCD carrot cake. If you google low carb cake (insert whichever cake name you like) a whole range of recipe variations crop up.

Low carb cakes always seem to be denser and heavier. They will never be light airy Victoria sponges. I don't mind that. The sheer joy of being able to eat a totally guilt-fee CAKE makes the texture irrelevant :D

Reactions: Speedbird

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with the comments about coconut flour being drying. I also find it chewy! Not my favourite LC flour.

One thing it does work well in is LCD carrot cake. If you google low carb cake (insert whichever cake name you like) a whole range of recipe variations crop up.

Low carb cakes always seem to be denser and heavier. They will never be light airy Victoria sponges. I don't mind that. The sheer joy of being able to eat a totally guilt-fee CAKE makes the texture irrelevant :D

So true! I have made almond shortbread biscuits, almost biscotti and almond muffins. They are all dense and bit like depth chargers and never look light and fluffy as in the pictures. But they are the nearest thing to my comfort eating so will keep trying and experimenting. Any good bakers out there with some tips? X

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So true! I have made almond shortbread biscuits, almost biscotti and almond muffins. They are all dense and bit like depth chargers and never look light and fluffy as in the pictures. But they are the nearest thing to my comfort eating so will keep trying and experimenting. Any good bakers out there with some tips? X

@ewelina has some awesome recipes on her blog. :)
I think the link is probably in her sig.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive tried cocnut flour many times and it has always been a failure. Prefer ground almond. Its true the cakes are much densier and heavier but I do like it. If you beat egg whites the cake will be fluffy. You just need to fold it in gently. There is a very nice lemon cake on my blog of you want to try something safe and tested

Reactions: Speedbird
K

Kat100

I just can't abide the taste of coconut flour .. it just doesn't taste nice .. to me :)

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive tried cocnut flour many times and it has always been a failure. Prefer ground almond. Its true the cakes are much densier and heavier but I do like it. If you beat egg whites the cake will be fluffy. You just need to fold it in gently. There is a very nice lemon cake on my blog of you want to try something safe and tested
That's brilliant. Thank you ewelina. X

Amethyst579

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you everyone, I will try ewelina's lemon cake, I might put in the coconut flour instead of the soy flour - or will that not be a good idea.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Coconut flour absorbs much much more liquid than just about anything else. That is why it is so hard to get things right when you bake with it. It is almost impossible to do a straight substitution without adding more liquid.