Coconut oil

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do people still use coconut oil I haven't heard it mentioned here so much as it used to be.

Reactions: Freema

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use it in coffee (with cream) as a breakfast replacement. Also sometimes when I am cooking.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use it for most of my frying, baking or roasting now as gather it’s stable at high temps so use when pre sealing meat for casseroles, cooking Eggs, heating up slices of Lidl rolls etc. Also it was only a small study but dr Moseley compared effect on people’s cholesterol when compared with butter and olive oil and it seemed to have the best effect - lowering bad stuff and increasing good, olive oil was next and butter last. although none had a big impact and I was also concerned about the experiment as it was a small study - plus they didn’t appear to look at rest of their diet it was just added in so it could have been something else! But as trying to lower my cholesterol at moment but need to keep my fats up I’m trying it. I use advocado oil in my salads though.

CoastGirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Use it mainly to stir fry my cauliflower rice when we have a curry. Also use it in low carb granola bars.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As I recall this was a "crossover" study, therefore each person used all three but in a different order. Hence the rest of their diet should not have had much effect. (Unless they put the butter on bread!)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the steamed sort with no flavour for general cooking and the untreated sort for coconut curries. I use olive oil where a recipe says so.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems not so much coconut oil then. At one time people were really enthusiastic about it cooking with it having it in coffee with cream and butter..forget what that was called... and even eating it straight from the spoon

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use it to moisturise my psoriasis and on my scalp - couldn't face eating it though - but then I'm not keen on many fats

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As I recall this was a "crossover" study, therefore each person used all three but in a different order. Hence the rest of their diet should not have had much effect. (Unless they put the butter on bread!)
I was particularly wondering if the butter use had been on carb products or potatoes! Would be an interesting study to do on us low carbers to see if there was still a difference.

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
I use it to oil pull while in the shower, before brushing my teeth.
I keep a tub of it in the shower to moisturize before I dry off.
I use it in my coffee.
I also have a bunch of recipes that use it.
Sometimes I put it in my hair at night to deep condition before washing in the morning.
Yes, some of us still use it, but since it isn’t a new idea there’s no reason to post about it. We figure everyone already knows :)

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Used to use in baking as was told it was a super food not used it for ages but after finding some good baking recipes I have made a shopping list of things to get one of which is Coconut oil

Reactions: Freema

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I regularly use it as one of my cooking fats and occcasionally uae it in baking; I make a sort of chocolate bar mixing it with cocoa powder, peppermint oil and erythritol; sometimes add a dollop to my soup or coffee, and feed it daily to my dogs, who love it and have beautiful silky coats. Odd blobs occasionally end up as "hand cream". And it generally getes a mention when I list my low carb essentials. I also use coconut manna, which is slightly sweet, and spoon this straight from the jar as a snack meal (generally breakfast) if I don't really want to eat. So it's definitely still alive and kicking in this house.

Like @Kailee56 I believe things tend to fade into the background after initial discussions about usage come to an end, but it doesn't necessarily mean we've stopped eating or using them. If things are actually any good then the'ye likely to just quietly end up in general use.

Robbity

Bananas 2

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, indeed. I use it regularly when cooking SE Asian food; olive oil/butter for western foods. For lowCarb-lowGI baked snacks I often mix butter, coconut oil, and olive oil together for the fat requirement (using coconut flour (for fiber), almond flour (protein) to replace wheat flour... depending on the flavor profile I am looking for, sometimes ground sesame (very close to almond flour in function, but much less expensive), or a wee bit (due to carbs) of oat or rye as well). Works out quite well and predictable.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Like @Kailee56 I believe things tend to fade into the background after initial discussions about usage come to an end

I don't talk about it, as the benefit from cutting out processed carbs are so much greater than from using coconut oil. Keeping the message simple gets the best result for new people coming to this forum.