1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Coffee Q - cream?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by BunsenHoneydew, Jan 19, 2018.

1. BunsenHoneydew

BunsenHoneydew Prediabetes · Active Member

Hello

I see a lot of people having coffee with cream for/at breakfast.

I normally have my morning coffee black or if I'm at a cafe I will have a flat white or latte.

When people say "cream", exactly what do they mean? (Can someone link me to the item at Tesco for example, I've never bought cream in my life and am confused by all the different types!)

Do you put cream in as a replacement for milk? Or is it to up the calories so you aren't hungry during the morning?

2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Double cream is mostly used in creamed coffee. This can keep hunger at bay. I like my cream to float on top of my coffee, others mix it in just as you would with milk. Experiment to see how much cream you like, I like lots but some add just a little.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

P.S. Just a word of caution, do not buy Elmlea cream. It is not cream that you would ever get from a cow, it is a mixture of cream and vegetable oil and is quite disgusting. I suggest the supermarket's own brand but still check the nutritional info on the back of the tub. Enjoy!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Pure full fat double cream for me. I shop with Ocado so use Waitrose own brand double cream or Yeo Valley which comes in a slightly larger pot than the smaller Waitrose size. (If I'm running short I might sometimes use my cream mixed with a little unsweetened almond milk.)

There are various other types of cream that also would be acceptable - e.g. pouring cream or single cream - these will have a little less fat and slightly more carbs (which are minimal anyway), but extra thick double or clotted cream may generally be too solid to use in a drink. Just don't go anywhere near anything labelled as low, reduced or zero fat cream, any kind of alternative "cream", or that squirty spray stuff!

Robbity
    PS I use it both as a low carb replacement for milk, and as one of my sources for dairy fats.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #4 Robbity, Jan 19, 2018 at 8:31 PM
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  5. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I use double cream because it’s low carb mainly. Milk especially the skimmed versions are really high carb. If you don’t feel comfortable with the high fat aspect - which I find a bit difficult whilst still working on losing a few more pounds - why not do as I do and mix it with water to taste? This way you’re not adding carbs. I also use the watered down version to froth up for a flat white coffee or cappuccino but you could also use in tea. I mix with water and keep in jug in fridge almost zero carbs unlike the milk!

6. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

You asked for a link. This is what I would buy from Tesco for my coffee.. one tablespoon in a 400ml triple shot Americano.
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-...VprXtCh2zHAvQEAQYASABEgKWuvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I use Sainsburys own brand double cream in my coffee and on my berries. Delicious. I don't measure it accurately, I have 2 big slurps!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. BunsenHoneydew

I currently get home delivered full fat milk in bottles. Had a browse through my local dairy's web portal and they will deliver double cream too. Might give it a try next week!

• Like Like x 2
  9. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

For a cup of coffee:
    Home, 30 g beans ground, filtered, shot of rum, double cream on top and grated nutmeg. square of 85% chocolate.
    Work: 30 g beans ground. filtered, black..... work don't do rum.... :banghead:

• Like Like x 3
  10. archersuz

archersuz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes please!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I look at the back of the shelf for the longest in date pots of double cream and use that in coffee, I also get the extra thick to eat with fruit.

12. jwongcsp

jwongcsp Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I use half and half. It is half cream and half milk. What you call double cream sounds like "whipping cream".

13. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

I usually drink it black, bit of stevia in it or sometimes I'll add cream just for something different and a change. Cause you know, rebels drink it with cream :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. daisyduck

daisyduck Type 2 · Well-Known Member

ooh am I a rebel ? ;) Love my coffee with double cream and coconut oil.. keeps me going all morning with no need for breakfast

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you're a rebel.... maybe even a daredevil with your coconut oil. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

It’s not, it’s pure, thick, heavy cream. In America and Canada it’s common to find it with carageenan to thicken it and occasionally sugar, in the UK it’s just the fat content from milk. Nothing else.

Every time I’m in Ontario, I struggle to find proper cream.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. BunsenHoneydew

Oh so it should just basically be the top layer of thick milk fat that floats to the top of my milk bottle!

18. Mark_1

Mark_1 · Well-Known Member

19. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

not really its the stuff that has been taken out of your milk already. So its even thicker and fattier than the "top of the milk" and nicer too!

20. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I've always made my coffee with water and just add a little cream to taste. Same result - just different process...

Robbity

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook