Coffee Q - cream?

BunsenHoneydew

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello

I see a lot of people having coffee with cream for/at breakfast.

I normally have my morning coffee black or if I'm at a cafe I will have a flat white or latte.

When people say "cream", exactly what do they mean? (Can someone link me to the item at Tesco for example, I've never bought cream in my life and am confused by all the different types!)

Do you put cream in as a replacement for milk? Or is it to up the calories so you aren't hungry during the morning?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Double cream is mostly used in creamed coffee. This can keep hunger at bay. I like my cream to float on top of my coffee, others mix it in just as you would with milk. Experiment to see how much cream you like, I like lots but some add just a little.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
P.S. Just a word of caution, do not buy Elmlea cream. It is not cream that you would ever get from a cow, it is a mixture of cream and vegetable oil and is quite disgusting. I suggest the supermarket's own brand but still check the nutritional info on the back of the tub. Enjoy!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pure full fat double cream for me. I shop with Ocado so use Waitrose own brand double cream or Yeo Valley which comes in a slightly larger pot than the smaller Waitrose size. (If I'm running short I might sometimes use my cream mixed with a little unsweetened almond milk.)

There are various other types of cream that also would be acceptable - e.g. pouring cream or single cream - these will have a little less fat and slightly more carbs (which are minimal anyway), but extra thick double or clotted cream may generally be too solid to use in a drink. Just don't go anywhere near anything labelled as low, reduced or zero fat cream, any kind of alternative "cream", or that squirty spray stuff!

Robbity
PS I use it both as a low carb replacement for milk, and as one of my sources for dairy fats.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use double cream because it’s low carb mainly. Milk especially the skimmed versions are really high carb. If you don’t feel comfortable with the high fat aspect - which I find a bit difficult whilst still working on losing a few more pounds - why not do as I do and mix it with water to taste? This way you’re not adding carbs. I also use the watered down version to froth up for a flat white coffee or cappuccino but you could also use in tea. I mix with water and keep in jug in fridge almost zero carbs unlike the milk!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

I see a lot of people having coffee with cream for/at breakfast.

I normally have my morning coffee black or if I'm at a cafe I will have a flat white or latte.

When people say "cream", exactly what do they mean? (Can someone link me to the item at Tesco for example, I've never bought cream in my life and am confused by all the different types!)

Do you put cream in as a replacement for milk? Or is it to up the calories so you aren't hungry during the morning?
You asked for a link. This is what I would buy from Tesco for my coffee.. one tablespoon in a 400ml triple shot Americano.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-...VprXtCh2zHAvQEAQYASABEgKWuvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Reactions: BunsenHoneydew

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For a cup of coffee:
Home, 30 g beans ground, filtered, shot of rum, double cream on top and grated nutmeg. square of 85% chocolate.
Work: 30 g beans ground. filtered, black..... work don't do rum.... :banghead:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I look at the back of the shelf for the longest in date pots of double cream and use that in coffee, I also get the extra thick to eat with fruit.

jwongcsp

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who are not willing to give up sugar, starches, fizzy drinks, and processed carbohydrates.
I use half and half. It is half cream and half milk. What you call double cream sounds like "whipping cream".

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I usually drink it black, bit of stevia in it or sometimes I'll add cream just for something different and a change. Cause you know, rebels drink it with cream :)

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ooh am I a rebel ? ;) Love my coffee with double cream and coconut oil.. keeps me going all morning with no need for breakfast

Reactions: Tophat1900

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
ooh am I a rebel ? ;) Love my coffee with double cream and coconut oil.. keeps me going all morning with no need for breakfast

I'm pretty sure you're a rebel.... maybe even a daredevil with your coconut oil. :)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use half and half. It is half cream and half milk. What you call double cream sounds like "whipping cream".

It’s not, it’s pure, thick, heavy cream. In America and Canada it’s common to find it with carageenan to thicken it and occasionally sugar, in the UK it’s just the fat content from milk. Nothing else.

Every time I’m in Ontario, I struggle to find proper cream.

Reactions: BunsenHoneydew

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh so it should just basically be the top layer of thick milk fat that floats to the top of my milk bottle!
not really its the stuff that has been taken out of your milk already. So its even thicker and fattier than the "top of the milk" and nicer too!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use double cream because it’s low carb mainly. Milk especially the skimmed versions are really high carb. If you don’t feel comfortable with the high fat aspect - which I find a bit difficult whilst still working on losing a few more pounds - why not do as I do and mix it with water to taste? This way you’re not adding carbs. I also use the watered down version to froth up for a flat white coffee or cappuccino but you could also use in tea. I mix with water and keep in jug in fridge almost zero carbs unlike the milk!
I've always made my coffee with water and just add a little cream to taste. Same result - just different process...

Robbity