Cold and high BG

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone need some advice please

I have got a really bad cold at the mo and feeling yuck lol.
I am finding though that within an hour of eating my BG shoots upto 15mmol, does go back down to 6.0 about 3 hours later, I am currently on metformin (slow release) 1000g twice a day and 2mg Replaginade once a day.
Could my high readings be due to having a cold? I've got an appt to see the doctor later and tbh i'm worried incase he suggests i need to change my meds.

Thx

Shirl

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Shirl

Infections can really upset blood glucose readings - it's very common and just something we have to put up with. Sometimes diabetes has to take a back seat while we deal with something else! With any luck your GP should know this too, and won't fuss with your meds at this point. You need to be completely better and out the other side of Christmas before you think of altering your meds.

Make sure you eat sensibly - good nourishing food like eggs and soup - and try not to worry, because stress can put up BG levels too!

Are you taking any cough medecine? some of that is quite high in sugar.

Don't worry, get over your cold, and have a good Christmas. :D

Viv 8)

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Viv

Thx thats brill advice :D

Saw my doc and she's said i've got a viral infection hence cold and sore throat and not to worry bout my sugars goin bit higher, shes said come back if i feel any worse but now at home dosing up on painkillers and slobbed on couch loll.

Thx again and have a brill Xmas as well 8)