Colds and blood sugars

rowellswales

I am a type 2 and have been struggling with a cold. I have tested my sugar levels and I am 13.8. The only food I have eaten since yesterday evening is a bowl of porridge oats for breakfast. Has anyone any advice on what they do when they get colds and their sugar levels rise. I have seen other posts about colds but none of these seem to have particularly high BG levels. I would welcome any advice.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im type 1 so I take more insulin. You should call your doctor and ask what to do. When I have a cold my sugars are out of control. They can be very high like 17 or more and even massive doses of insulin dont help. They only advice i can give is to drink plenty of water. Hope you feel better soon

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
All infections make our blood glucose levels rise, so don't worry too much about that. Do try to eat something, even if it's only soup. If you don't eat, your liver will draw on its stores of glycogen to boost your blood glucose levels, so that could have something to do with the higher levels.

Drink plenty of fluids, slowly and steadily, over the day.

To a certain extent, diabetes has to take a back seat when you're ill. Make sure you take nourishment and fluids, and keep warm. I take Lemsips at night to make sure I get some sleep, even though they're supposedly full of sugar. They don't seem to do too much to my levels! :D

The quicker you get better the quicker your levels will drop. Look after yourself :D - and I hope you're better soon.

Viv 8)

SWFC John

viviennem said:
To a certain extent, diabetes has to take a back seat when you're ill.

Absolutely agree with that :)

Concentrate on what is up at the moment and forget about your sugar level as it will be all over place. Just remember your meds and make yourself as comfortable as possible.

I also keep some of these in the house http://www.mastersdirect.com/product/37 ... leShop1the main sweetner is sucralose so no toilet arrangements needed. (tesco stock them BTW)

pipwizard

Ooooo ty for this topic I was a tad concerned bout my levels just started to get them down at Xmas then with this cold they went rather high few I'm a tad re
Ives to hear that they do go high ty xxxxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

B

badcat

I would also advise avoiding over the counter cold remedies like lemsip / night nurse etc - they are crammed full of sugar as are most cough / sore throat sweets and coughmedications other than robitussin. Paracetamol and plenty of fluids are better options