Colonoscopy - Help!!

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got a colonoscopy coming up and have to do a 5 day special diet. Breakfast and lunch are ok. My problem is dinner, I'm allowed potatoes, but being low carb I don't have these. No vegetables are allowed - what do I eat for dinner - I can't eat just meat!! I'm not a big meat eater to start with. Any help greatly appreciated.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got a colonoscopy coming up and have to do a 5 day special diet. Breakfast and lunch are ok. My problem is dinner, I'm allowed potatoes, but being low carb I don't have these. No vegetables are allowed - what do I eat for dinner - I can't eat just meat!! I'm not a big meat eater to start with. Any help greatly appreciated.
If meat doesn't work for you, just have the same as you would for breakfast or lunch. As those aren't problematic, and it's just five days. :)

Reactions: nirishdaisy

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If potatoes are allowed, would it be possible that some other vegetables are allowed as well? After all, potato is a vegetable. Can you give them a call tomorrow to ask? At the least they can explain why of the countless existing vegetables potatoes are absolutely the only one you can eat.
Alternatively, you could do something with eggs and cream, cheese and yoghurt.
Good luck!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve had a couple of colonoscopies before my diabetes diagnosis and I’m apprehensive about the next one now I eat low carb. The idea is to have a low fibre diet, so if meat doesn’t work for you for all meals then @Antje77 ’s idea of cheese, eggs, yoghurt and cream should work. But the best bet is to ring the dept for advice.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Hi nirishdaisy,
I've had over 10 colonoscopies, and the what to eat has never been a problem for me, though my next one will be my first while on an LCHF 'Way Of Eating'.
From the list of foods I was last given I would eat some of the following:
Eggs (boiled, fried or poached)
Cheese
Chicken ( no skin)
White fish
Cauliflower
and although not specifically listed, Avocado.

I hope this helps,
Ian

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If meat doesn't work for you, just have the same as you would for breakfast or lunch. As those aren't problematic, and it's just five days. :)

That's what I'm thinking I will do. It's just as well I like eggs!!

Reactions: Antje77

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If potatoes are allowed, would it be possible that some other vegetables are allowed as well? After all, potato is a vegetable. Can you give them a call tomorrow to ask? At the least they can explain why of the countless existing vegetables potatoes are absolutely the only one you can eat.
Alternatively, you could do something with eggs and cream, cheese and yoghurt.
Good luck!

It's all to do with the fibre. Looks like my diet will be eggs, cheese and yogurt. I can have cream soups, not vegetable broth or soup.

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve had a couple of colonoscopies before my diabetes diagnosis and I’m apprehensive about the next one now I eat low carb. The idea is to have a low fibre diet, so if meat doesn’t work for you for all meals then @Antje77 ’s idea of cheese, eggs, yoghurt and cream should work. But the best bet is to ring the dept for advice.

I had one colonoscopy pre diagnosis. I hesitate to ring the department, you know what the NHS is like toward low carb - figure I'd get better help here for suggestions. Thanks everyone for your help.

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi nirishdaisy,
I've had over 10 colonoscopies, and the what to eat has never been a problem for me, though my next one will be my first while on an LCHF 'Way Of Eating'.
From the list of foods I was last given I would eat some of the following:
Eggs (boiled, fried or poached)
Cheese
Chicken ( no skin)
White fish
Cauliflower
and although not specifically listed, Avocado.

I hope this helps,
Ian

Thanks Ian. Apparently cauliflower and avocado are high in fibre. Fish I will add to my list. It's normally 3 days for the diet, but as I have problems "clearing out" I have been asked to do 5 days. My last one of 3 days didn't work. So I really want to give this my best shot of working. Don't know how I'm going to survive the sixth day which is just breakfast and then only liquids. :arghh:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Thanks Ian. Apparently cauliflower and avocado are high in fibre. Fish I will add to my list. It's normally 3 days for the diet, but as I have problems "clearing out" I have been asked to do 5 days. My last one of 3 days didn't work. So I really want to give this my best shot of working. Don't know how I'm going to survive the sixth day which is just breakfast and then only liquids. :arghh:
That is interesting because Cauliflower is definitely on the list of approved pre-colonoscopy food that I was sent by North West London Hospital trust. I have my Colonoscopies done at St Marks which is one of the leading Bowel Cancer Hospitals in the world.

I too have problems with the Bowel Prep meds not clearing me out fast enough, so I just fast for 12hrs longer than they advise.
I find this relatively easy and it should be even easier since I am now 'fat adjusted' to burn my own private energy store!