Completely sick of this.

Flic2019

Thanks so much everyone. The response has been overwhelming xx

I have trawled the site and have found some fantastic recipes for sweet an savoury food. I’m thinking that the actual act of baking might take my mind off it a bit as well.

Thank you so so much xxx

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife made me a keto/coconut flour waffle and it was pretty darn good with cream cheese and blackberries.OK,it wasnt House of Pancakes sinfully good (no maple syrup),but was a winner still.Im looking forward to more of those. :hungry:

Ive found ordering these diabetic food ingredients online easy and good prices.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With the LCHF recipes, I guess you'll need to be extra creative ;)

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
I’m 30 lol. I know I’m too old to be so pathetic about it haha. Xxx
Errr. Well I am twice your age and I am not too old to be pathetic. Now, if you do as you are told you naughty boy you will reach a ripe old age.
Po

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My wife made me a keto/coconut flour waffle and it was pretty darn good with cream cheese and blackberries.OK,it wasnt House of Pancakes sinfully good (no maple syrup),but was a winner still.Im looking forward to more of those. :hungry:

We have found a great Maple Syrup to have over our flax seed pancakes I think it's called 'Skinny syrup'
Mmmmmm https://theskinnyfoodco.com/collections/zero-calorie-syrups
These are all absolutly to die for!

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

I have trawled the site and have found some fantastic recipes for sweet an savoury food. I’m thinking that the actual act of baking might take my mind off it a bit as well.

Thank you so so much xxx
I have enjoyed getting involved with planning the meals AND cooking them!
But nothing beats eating themmmmmm
Po

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have found a great Maple Syrup to have over our flax seed pancakes I think it's called 'Skinny syrup'
Mmmmmm https://theskinnyfoodco.com/collections/zero-calorie-syrups
These are all absolutely to die for!
I'll check it out,thanks.:)

OK,really expensive in USA,but I found this....Since I will be using it sparingly I think this should work for me.

See Flic2019,Our foodie days are hardly over.We have so many options,just need to find em! Im also learning every day after 3 months here and hours each day.The more you look,the better it gets. ;)

Im also going to try peanut butter cookies and no bake cheesecake using the cookies as the base.Humongous calories though,this is only for special treat days.

ERYTHRITOL SIMPLE SYRUP - No Crystallization - KETO & ZERO CARBS - Sarah Penrod

Last edited:

Flic2019

Thanks once again guys. Its been amazing to have people who want to support me. I have never reallly had that in real life so its a bit weird for me. But its great.

Sugars are high this morning. My fault. Cant blame anything else this morning. But I have a lot of food for thought with this thread. I am printing out recipes as we speak. I am going out to lunch today (Toby Carvery so not too difficult to sort) and i will try and make my own dessert for after, a nice low sugar and as low carb one as possible. Its about making changes isnt it? If i avoid carbs while im out, i can afford a couple extra later.

I am so used to just eating whatever i fancy. I guess its just a game of stopping myself from eating what i "fancy" and eating what i need to eat. I will get there. I absolutely feel like I have this. Wobbles and freak outs aside, im positive i can make all the changes i need to make.

I think its just going to take a little more time that i initially thought xxx

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you so so much xxx
Hi @Flic2019 l hope the shock, anger and bewilderment are beginning to ease. I found that cooking fresh foods and new recipes really helped. Actually cooking rather than reheating or opening a packet helps to focus the mind on what you are eating!
I have discovered some really tasty and filling meals on various low carb sites on the net.
Keep reading here, there is always someone to listen and offer help.
Take care

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago.

I’m waiting to hear back about bloods as they don’t know yet if it’s type 1 or type 2 (more likely to be type 2 o think)

I was diagnosed and released from hosp after 4 days and that’s it I’ve been on my own.

First appointment with diabetic nurse isn’t until 19th June

I just feel so overwhelmed I think. It was kinda thrown on me and I feel completely alone with it.

Xxx
Hi @Flic2019.

Welcome to a very very friendly and informative forum.
I will post again with a link for newees which I found very useful.

I wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 30s but had symptoms at 6yrs old. I'm about to have a full bypass operation to hold back my severe insulin resistance and huge insulin injection units to just function partly, daily. This is mainly due to recent years (after 2 pregnancies) of having back pain so restricted mobility.
5yrs ago I was fully mobile and able to move house twice just after giving birth. Ok on very high bgs, it seems but I had the energy to burn.
I have kept active all of my life and knew if I every had an injury I'd face trouble. Hence I picked safe exercise, mostly swimming and jogging. I risked cycling in my lighter years.

What you will find liberating is to realise you are no different to the you of yester day. Now diagnosed you can choose to make helpful and important changes in your life.

I realise stress is my biggest influence in my life and a part that has to be managed the most and kept real.
I get alot of stress pushed my way but I'm learning to push it back to where its originator has to deal with it. Not me.... all of the time.

It can be sorrowful to hear this diagnosis but ultimately its up to you where you want to go from HERE........
The world's your oyster....... still.

I havent allowed diabetes stop me doing anything!!!!
You?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks once again guys. Its been amazing to have people who want to support me. I have never reallly had that in real life so its a bit weird for me. But its great.

Sugars are high this morning. My fault. Cant blame anything else this morning. But I have a lot of food for thought with this thread. I am printing out recipes as we speak. I am going out to lunch today (Toby Carvery so not too difficult to sort) and i will try and make my own dessert for after, a nice low sugar and as low carb one as possible. Its about making changes isnt it? If i avoid carbs while im out, i can afford a couple extra later.

I am so used to just eating whatever i fancy. I guess its just a game of stopping myself from eating what i "fancy" and eating what i need to eat. I will get there. I absolutely feel like I have this. Wobbles and freak outs aside, im positive i can make all the changes i need to make.

I think its just going to take a little more time that i initially thought xxx
Go Go @Flic2019!!!!
This is where your life really starts.
Go out and live it.

There will always be bumps in the road but we have to ride them. Ok?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I have thought similar things about diabetes, @Flic2019 .
Yet here i am 52 + years later.
There is hope, lights at the end of tunnels, people to talk with and a meaning to life, no matter how evasive it might seem at present.
It may take time to sort needs from wants, such is our attachment to things and experiences.
Feeling well, less alone, more settled and comfortable are some of those needs and a place to start, step by step, and remebering to breathe steadily, welcome the sun ( or lack of it)! each morning, any bird song or whatever you notice. Play your favourite music or comedy..
Even a spider web has beauty if you ignore the spider's appearance!
Best Wishes and keep posting.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fathead Pizza.The crust is made of cheese but performs close to the wheat flour crusts,surprising! Now I like cheese,but this is Really cheesy.So when you add toppings no need to pile on cheese,next one I will add a little Parmesan and just enough mozzarella to keep the toppings on.And load the top with toppings.And get this,2 pieces fill you up,for me 3 was just too much.

If you like mushrooms think of all the things you can put them in,little flavor sponges.I now look for things I can add mushrooms to.

Ive seen grapes called sugar grenades,so had to cut them.Blackberry,Raspberry real good fruit choices,blueberries not as good but you can still do them if meter isnt showing spikes.Lots of blueberry eaters here.Become a plain Greek yogurt eater with mixed in berries that YOU add,not the pre-made stuff.This has turned into ice-cream for me,my go to sweet craving.I even tried the diabetic friendly ice cream and wont even bother to again,the yogurt has just won me over,perfect dessert after a fatty,meaty meal. :hungry:

I also made tacos with fried cheese shells.Again,another mod I would do is cut off the extra cheese that isnt actually holding the fillings as its another very cheesy meal.Your dog will love the trimmings so its a win-win.If you dont have a dog you will have to get one. So say my dogs,but I suspect they may be biased.:rolleyes:

Once you are past the shock of Type 2 (T2) diagnosis (IF you are t2) this is a doable lifestyle and the results are almost always impressive.Its just eating the style diet that works for you.

I say start with the low carb high fat just because its easy and early results are very common from the beginning.You'll see that all over the place on this forum.

But we always remember we are individuals so there arent carved in stone diet answers necessarily.A friend does some potatoes in his low carb diet at the expense of others,and his numbers are in normal person range,took him about 6 months with eating like that to get there.I look at a few french fry and my sugar bolts.Some people are strict carb controllers.Others are extreme...it all works depending on your body,EAT TO YOUR METER.Some folks even can tolerate more carbs than most of us,good on them.

EDIT-All of this is for T2,if you are T1 the story will be a bit different.

https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/fat-head-pizza/

Last edited:
Reactions: ickihun

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Flic2019
Have you had a clear type diagnosis yet? Most of the useful advice above is aimed at T2. If you get a T1 diagnosis stuff is a bit different although dietary choices are completely up to you.

Reactions: 1spuds

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

I cheat and buy a maple walnut sugar free syrup - too much processing and artificial chemicals but sometimes only syrup will do.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not yet. I have an appointment on 18th June so assuming I will find out then xxx
Hi again. You are quite young to be T2 but it happens. If you are not overweight and have lost weight recently then the indication would tend towards T1 rather than T2. When you see the nurse and if you are quite slim and she isn't sure of the diagnosis then do ask for the T1 tests if they aren't offered. The diet approach for either can be roughly the same. Although T1s can use insulin to match the carbs but many like me need to keep the carbs down anyway to avoid weight gain.