Completion of profile settings

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod

There seems to be a significant rise in only partially completed profile settings by the newly diagnosed and newcomers to the forum. This is relevant when it comes to the type of diabetes, treatment and medication options.

I note that at least on my own profile settings, the word "required" is against the type of diabetes and treatment options, yet it seems to me the majority are not filling these in. It is obviously important for those of us trying to help answer questions that we know what these are in order to give appropriate answers, and results in responders having to ask, sometimes several times.

Is there a technical reason for this? Can anything be done about it?

M

Member496333

Certainly it’s a little bit of a problem area. I for one would welcome some sort of solution. I have decided going forward to not contribute in anything even remotely autoimmune related, so a quick glance would certainly save everyone time. I upset someone so badly yesterday that they were complaining about my avatar :shifty:

ETA: last sentence not really applicable to the subject matter - just an explanation of my rationale for wanting to avoid anything and everything T1 related.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jjraak

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod

There seems to be a significant rise in only partially completed profile settings by the newly diagnosed and newcomers to the forum. This is relevant when it comes to the type of diabetes, treatment and medication options.

I note that at least on my own profile settings, the word "required" is against the type of diabetes and treatment options, yet it seems to me the majority are not filling these in. It is obviously important for those of us trying to help answer questions that we know what these are in order to give appropriate answers, and results in responders having to ask, sometimes several times.

Is there a technical reason for this? Can anything be done about it?

Part of the reason for this is the forum, like many, many sites these days, allows members to either create themselves a brand new login or sign in using their Facebook or Google accounts. In this day and age of instant answers, and instant feedback, it is often levied at us that this site takes ages to sign up to, so really we can't win either way.

Personally, I have come to accept that whatever options we offer, it won't suit everyone, and if I get to brass tacks, I would prefer a member to sign in and ask their question or begin their learning journey, and we have the opportunity to interact and where necessary ask the questions we need to made the most appropriate responses than have that individual decide not to bother signing up at all.

Whichever way we go, it won't suit everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: LooperCat

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Part of the reason for this is the forum, like many, many sites these days, allows members to either create themselves a brand new login or sign in using their Facebook or Google accounts. In this day and age of instant answers, and instant feedback, it is onften levied at us that this site takes ages to sign up to, so really we can't win either way.

Personally, I have come to accept that whatever options we offer, it won't suit everyone, and if I get to brass tacks, I would prefer a member to sign in and ask their question or begin their learning journey, and we have the opportunity to interact and where necessary ask the questions we need to made the most appropriate responses than have that individual decide not to bother signing up at all.

Whichever way we go, it won't suit everyone.

Why is it a question of signing in or not signing in, or how they sign in? These people are signed in, by whatever means, and are asking questions. Many have made umpteen posts and completed part of their profile settings but failed to scroll down a bit to the rest of them. It definitely says those two important options are required. A few of us are asking them to complete their profiles, and once advised how to do this, they do it, quite willingly. It did not used to be an issue until fairly recently. It has indeed led to a few inappropriate answers. Some of us that respond to newby questions are finding we have to ask several times a day.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Much as you may want to have all the information at your fingertips........their are some who prefer to keep this information to themselves and that's their choice........and we should respect that.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Much as you may want to have all the information at your fingertips........their are some who prefer to keep this information to themselves and that's their choice........and we should respect that.
I kind of disagree.. all profiles here are anonymous so no-one should be afraid of putting the Diabetes Type on their profile. It would save a huge amount of misunderstanding and questions. No-one here knows who anyone else is unless they choose to let them know themselves so I can't see why their status needs to be hidden?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I kind of disagree.. all profiles here are anonymous so no-one should be afraid of putting the Diabetes Type on their profile. It would save a huge amount of misunderstanding and questions. No-one here knows who anyone else is unless they choose to let them know themselves so I can't see why their status needs to be hidden?

Bulkbiker - Profiles are not necessarily anonymous. I mean, I can see your picture, and some choose to use their given names, rather than a chosen name.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bulkbiker - Profiles are not necessarily anonymous. I mean, I can see your picture, and some choose to use their given names, rather than a chosen name.
Well that again is choice surely? There are plenty of anonymous user names and pictures..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course.

The pedant in me is strong. :)

Also to add we have no idea if even those using apparently "real names" are in fact their real names.. they could be completely made up "real names".. the delightful anonymity of the internet.
Is this a 5 or 10 minute pedantry contest? :D

M

Member496333

Perhaps it might be possible to setup the software so that a PM is sent to new members outlining how/where/why it would benefit them by providing this information. That way there is no additional friction in the sign-up process, and users can choose to ignore the PM if they wish. I suspect the majority simply don’t think to enter any of this into their profile, rather than would actively prefer not to.

A PM/email would at least ensure that everyone gets a nudge. If they choose not to reciprocate then of course that’s fine, and their choice.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Well that again is choice surely? There are plenty of anonymous user names and pictures..

I promised I don't really look like Bagpuss!

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The pedant in me is as strong as anyones, and I would like to point out, again, that according to the profile text, it is a requirement to complete type of diabetes and treatment. So why is there any argument about this? A requirement is a requirement, and in this case I believe it is justified. On any other website, if one does not complete a required option, one cannot progress.

Reactions: Prem51

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Ha. We laugh, but yesterday I was accused of attacking people based on my avatar pointing the finger at them :hilarious:

Well for goodness sake! Did they think you'd popped in a new avatar just for them? Oh well, no accounting for folk.

But if they gave you half a break they'd know that you do your best to be helpful and non-confrontational.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The pedant in me is as strong as anyones, and I would like to point out, again, that according to the profile text, it is a requirement to complete type of diabetes and treatment. So why is there any argument about this? A requirement is a requirement, and in this case I believe it is justified. On any other website, if one does not complete a required option, one cannot progress.

One of the options is 'Prefer not to say' so what would stopping anyone from simply selecting that or anything they like out of the list in order to simply progress? A bit like public WiFi when it 'forces' you to fill out your name and email address and my name can suddenly become Chris P. Bacon.

It'll lead to either less signups or wrong information.@DCUKMod already said that if someone's question needs this information for responses they can always be reminded or asked to provide it in their post.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I saw a person ( can't use the word member, because) who posted yesterday and noticed it has 'guest', how can that happen ?
I will try and locate it.