Completion of profile settings

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a very good decision, Jim.

T1 is an incredibly complex condition with dozens of variables to manage.

The T1 community here tries to guide newly dx'd T1s through those.

It really doesn't help when someone with an entirely different medical condition pitches in and says, do low carb and it'll all be fine.

There are deep complexities in T1 management which other types will never understand.

A lot of the advice given on this site, especially about low carbing, seems to be from people who've béen doing this for a few years.

Many of us have been doing this for decades, 20, 30, 40 years. Have some respect for folks who have managed T1 for extended periods perfectly well without doing extremely restricted diets.
personally... I don’t recall type 2 people advising newly diagnosed type 1 on low carb diet..... Personally I don’t want to see the division.... type 2 people tend to know more about metabolism and nutrition that are also relevant and useful to type 1. I’m adult onset type 1 so maybe the feeling is a bit different but I don’t remember seeing a lack of respect for type 1 from type 2 people ... ?

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
personally... I don’t recall type 2 people advising newly diagnosed type 1 on low carb diet..... Personally I don’t want to see the division.... type 2 people tend to know more about metabolism and nutrition that are also relevant and useful to type 1. I’m adult onset type 1 so maybe the feeling is a bit different but I don’t remember seeing a lack of respect for type 1 from type 2 people ... ?
I agree completely. I welcome the advice of type 2s regarding low carb as I have found that's the solution that's working for me as a type 1. But hey, some are better in math than others.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was the other way round - as a T2 , when I first joined the forum I learned a lot about low carb/ketongenic diets by regularly reading posts by a couple of T1 members - who I've not seen posting for a long time now.

Robbity

Reactions: michita

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was the other way round - as a T2 , when I first joined the forum I learned a lot about low carb/ketongenic diets by regularly reading posts by a couple of T1 members - who I've not seen posting for a long time now.

Robbity

Would one of them be Spiker, perchance?

Reactions: zand

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It would indeed! The other one was Robert72.

Robbity

Robert, (I won't inappropriately tag him.) is still occasionally about.

But Spiker? Sorely missed.. Both true gents.

D

Deleted Account

Many of us have been doing this for decades, 20, 30, 40 years. Have some respect for folks who have managed T1 for extended periods perfectly well
I believe this is often forgotten.
As nearly half people with type 1 are diagnosed as children and have it for life, there are a fair proportion of people with type 1 with decades of experience with no or few complications. They know what they are writing about.

Reactions: porl69

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did anyone actually say that long standing type 1 didn’t know what they were talking about? If so I missed it.

I’ve been reading the last few days about people having different approaches that suit them and how they view acceptable ways to treat their own diabetes. Sometimes people might suggest what works for them might work for others or suggest the might want to consider the risks as they see them. This goes right across the forum not just the type 1/2 or low carb /normal carb divide. It’d be a great shame if anyone in any part of the forum felt it was a deliberate lack of respect instead of a wish to offer other perspectives. I’m sure pretty much all of us would feel there’s always something new or different happening that’s worth considering even if it ends up not being suitable.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
It does make it hard when type isn't on a persons profile to offer advice/support and could be potentially dangerous in cases of people newly diagnosed, if they took on advice that was counter productive. It also means less people will respond to people without a type being listed. It isn't a helpful situation for anyone I don't think.

M

Member496333

Did anyone actually say that long standing type 1 didn’t know what they were talking about? If so I missed it.

I’ve been reading the last few days about people having different approaches that suit them and how they view acceptable ways to treat their own diabetes. Sometimes people might suggest what works for them might work for others or suggest the might want to consider the risks as they see them. This goes right across the forum not just the type 1/2 or low carb /normal carb divide. It’d be a great shame if anyone in any part of the forum felt it was a deliberate lack of respect instead of a wish to offer other perspectives. I’m sure pretty much all of us would feel there’s always something new or different happening that’s worth considering even if it ends up not being suitable.

Absolutely. It’s not a competition to see who knows the most. There are plenty of occasions where I see type 1 giving type 2 what I consider to be bad advice. The difference is I either accept it and move on, or I challenge it objectively. What I don’t do is moan about it endlessly. No one here is trying to outsmart anyone.

Peace.

Reactions: jjraak

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
It does make it hard when type isn't on a persons profile to offer advice/support and could be potentially dangerous in cases of people newly diagnosed, if they took on advice that was counter productive. It also means less people will respond to people without a type being listed. It isn't a helpful situation for anyone I don't think.

It should (where possible) be a mandatory completion field and if you are new and don't know whether it's T1 or T2, provide an option for that.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
It should (where possible) be a mandatory completion field and if you are new and don't know whether it's T1 or T2, provide an option for that.

Yeah, to be fair, some people are in the middle of waiting on blood test results to determine T1 or T2 or whatever the case may be.

D

Deleted member 308541

That goes to mandatory filling in where you live such as UK, US, Australia etc, you do not have to put in a post code if you wear tin foil hats.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, to be fair, some people are in the middle of waiting on blood test results to determine T1 or T2 or whatever the case may be.
Yeah thats a great idea.. a "waiting for diagnosis" category would be equally useful and suggestions could then be made as to tests to ask for etc..

Reactions: Kittycat_7_
D

Deleted Account

I shall caveat this with “I have never used or seen the app. I only know the website”.

From the website, I think there are times when the readers/responders of a thread could be a little more observant. There are threads tagged with “type 1”, “type 2”, ... and there are threads in the appropriate sub forums. But the replies may ask the type or respond making assumptions.
This makes sense to me as sometimes the initial question posed is on behalf of someone else so the profile is irrelevant.

Perhaps the sub forum and tag information could be made clearer?

Reactions: porl69

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a very good decision, Jim.

T1 is an incredibly complex condition with dozens of variables to manage.

The T1 community here tries to guide newly dx'd T1s through those.

It really doesn't help when someone with an entirely different medical condition pitches in and says, do low carb and it'll all be fine.

There are deep complexities in T1 management which other types will never understand.

A lot of the advice given on this site, especially about low carbing, seems to be from people who've béen doing this for a few years.

Many of us have been doing this for decades, 20, 30, 40 years. Have some respect for folks who have managed T1 for extended periods perfectly well without doing extremely restricted diets.
Good advice.