Complex Carbs, and all that

lilibet

Hi

Just a question re carb intake.

Currently on Premix which I hate btw as I cant predict anything and despite continual cutting of insulin, I keep having to eat carbs due to risk of lows and the rapidity of this - can go from 6.6 to 4 in 40 mins which makes having a life very difficult. Usually have to eat some carbs (or else at other end I will be having to dose a hypo and eat carbs anyway) Have been trying to chart profile of insulin but just when I think I know where I am with it, the time of 'nearly' hypos change. Have tried to change snack times estc.

Anyhoo, I digress

Am trying to eat low carb but due to probs above was wondering if other carbs would count to keep me stable(ie carbs in yoghurt, veg etc) or is it likely to be complex carbs I need to take with this insulin. Am trying v hard to limit complex carbs by having very small portions of potatoes (3 mini new at most) or small pasta etc but in terms of other carbs will they be enough if the complex carbs are not in abundance.

If you see what I mean

Thanks

Lilibet

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
There's a school of thought that says that eating fats at the same time as the carbs, slows their absorption . Starches should be better for you than sugars, but Sucrose molecules are half glucose, half fructose, and frutose, doesn't have much effect on blood sugars. Starch is made up of glucose molecules linked in a number of different ways.
Since this shouldn't become a biochemistry lesson, My suggestion is that you use GI tables and eat foods which are low GI. These will raise your Blood sugar slowly. GI tables are available free online

Trinkwasser

lilibet said:
Currently on Premix which I hate btw as I cant predict anything and despite continual cutting of insulin, I keep having to eat carbs due to risk of lows and the rapidity of this - can go from 6.6 to 4 in 40 mins which makes having a life very difficult. Usually have to eat some carbs (or else at other end I will be having to dose a hypo and eat carbs anyway) Have been trying to chart profile of insulin but just when I think I know where I am with it, the time of 'nearly' hypos change. Have tried to change snack times estc.

Not an insulin user, but if I was I'd be hassling to go onto basal/bolus. It takes some working with but is usually much more predictable and controllable. They call it Mixturd for a reason <G>