Composition of diet matters - weight loss

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My anecdote:

I have started losing weight again. Slowly but consistently.

How has this happened? by accident really. Half a pound every 2 weeks or so

I have kept my calories at the same 1500 cals a day, but have dropped my carbs to around 60g a day, and upped my fats - mainly olive oil and butter.

So happy : )))))

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
My anecdote:

I have started losing weight again. Slowly but consistently.

How has this happened? by accident really. Half a pound every 2 weeks or so

I have kept my calories at the same 1500 cals a day, but have dropped my carbs to around 60g a day, and upped my fats - mainly olive oil and butter.

So happy : )))))
Fantastic work I have to say! Also loving the new note in your signature too.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news @lucylocket61 - I can concur with what your saying, when I dropped my carbs to go keto after a year long stall and to get off my meds if possible, I went down to 20g carbs and stopped counting calories (I did the DD 2 week challenge) I lost 20lb in a few weeks and dropped all my meds - which had been my main aim. I have stalled again but my shape is definitely still changing

Once again well done I know you work hard :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yay! That's brilliant, so pleased for you @lucylocket61

I had the same thing happen to me. I used to keep my BGs fine whilst having a carb level of 80- 100g daily but my weight loss stalled. I need to be below 30g to lose weight nowadays. I paid for a fasting insulin test and was shocked to see it was way above the normal level so that's why I reduced carbs even more.

Thanks for starting this thread. I have recently been having more carbs in the form of fruits as I had a really bad craving for them whilst I was on 3 weeks of antibiotics and I needed to eat to keep the antibiotics down to get well again. You have nudged me to get weighing the food again and carb counting properly - I have had only one foot on the wagon lol, time to get fully back on it so that maybe I can lose some more and manage to get rid of the one remaining drug I take for high BP.

Butter and cream will be top of my shopping list as they stop me from feeling hungry.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Having my 6wk check-up next week. I can eat most lumpy foods now. Obviously chewing them more. Taking more time to consume my balanced diet. Not lower carb than other food types, yet. Although my carb portions are small but so are my protein and fats. I'm still losing but protein is my main source, then veg/salad, then potato or fat free yogart. Fruit has returned to my diet but have more energy when it's in than without. Energy to walk and get through my day.
One day I might have to return to low carb less than 600cals. However for now 600-800 consistently is helping me lose weight. My favourite part is I don't feel hungry.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Well worked out. The body is more stubborn than Brexit. It needs the right stimulus to say it is happy you are not in danger.

Reactions: lucylocket61

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I failed miserably yesterday, but it was a first step to getting back onto the low carb wagon. 102g carbs, 1347 calories. Today I need more fat and protein.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I looked at the thread title and saw

Composition of dark matter - weight loss

I thought "yep, sounds almost reasonable". I gotta stop racing thru entry lists as quickly as I do

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I failed miserably yesterday, but it was a first step to getting back onto the low carb wagon. 102g carbs, 1347 calories. Today I need more fat and protein.
I am finding the fats are the most important for me. And I have stopped all seed oils now too, which seems to make a difference to hunger, but I dont know why?

A beginning is a beginning, not a failure. Are you still on antibiotics?

Reactions: zand

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am finding the fats are the most important for me. And I have stopped all seed oils now too, which seems to make a difference to hunger, but I dont know why?
All sounds like great progress, well done! Seed/veg oils are worth avoiding for a number of reasons, I gather....

Reactions: ickihun and zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

A beginning is a beginning, not a failure. Are you still on antibiotics?
No I have finished the antibiotics now and as soon as I finished them I stopped craving sweet things which is good. Yes it's a beginning, I did better with the carbs today 51g, but I need to have a lump of cheese and a cup of coffee with cream later as my calories are too low and I don't want my body to get used to very low calorie.

Reactions: ickihun

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having my 6wk check-up next week. I can eat most lumpy foods now. Obviously chewing them more. Taking more time to consume my balanced diet. Not lower carb than other food types, yet. Although my carb portions are small but so are my protein and fats. I'm still losing but protein is my main source, then veg/salad, then potato or fat free yogart. Fruit has returned to my diet but have more energy when it's in than without. Energy to walk and get through my day.
One day I might have to return to low carb less than 600cals. However for now 600-800 consistently is helping me lose weight. My favourite part is I don't feel hungry.
Keep going you are doing great!