Confused about BG level?

Amy2993

Hello,

another question before I see my medical team at the end of next week. Diagnosed Type 1 in June and very likely In my honeymoon period. My levels are always between 4-6 during the day and 5-7 during the evening. My DN has emailed to say these levels are bit lower than what they would like, so reduce my basal insulin.

can someone explain why? I get the recommend levels for diabetics but why are these higher than non diabetic. I’ve never had a night hypos, have only had 2 hypos which were only at 3.9. Surely it would be good for a diabetic to have low levels? Are there any long term issues from having lower blood sugar? Other than risk of hypo?

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Doctors and nurses are concerned about hypoglycemia, so the prefer to see higher numbers. Being in the honeymoon and making much of the required insulin reduces the risk of going hypo. I find having higher numbers makes control less stable and more difficult, so I aim for much lower numbers.

In answer to your question, no, hypos are the only potential problem if blood glucose is kept close to normal. Be aware, though, that repeated hypos lead to hypoglycemia unawareness.

Reactions: Amy2993

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Are there any long term issues from having lower blood sugar? Other than risk of hypo?
I agree with @MarkMunday, low blood sugars are fine as long as they don't result in hypos. You sound as though you're doing brilliantly at the moment (I'm jealous) but you may (or may not) find that hypos become more of an issue when your honeymoon period ends.

Hypos can be the bane of any T1's life. I've experienced loss of hypo awareness (during pregnancies when I was keeping my levels low and more recently when I was also having too many hypos) and it's not good, leading to serious hypos (as in losing consciousness and requiring rescue) which can be extremely dangerous. Luckily most T1s can regain hypo awareness if they keep their levels a bit higher for a while, and modern technology (I love my dexcom) means that you can get mechanical alerts when your levels near low territory, so loss of hypo awareness is not insurmountable.

Welcome to the forums and once again well done on your current levels.

Last edited:
Reactions: becca59 and Amy2993