1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Confused and concerned

Discussion in 'Ketogenic diet forum' started by Lord Midas, May 30, 2017.

1. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Just to back up what Chook wrote - although I have never used insulin - to control by diet, I need to eat fairly early in the day and have a small amount of carbs - even fewer than Chook, about 4 gm is what I aim for. It is a bit of a balancing act - too few is as bad as too many, timing is important.
    I thought no carbs would be good - it isn't. BG rises all morning and crashes mid afternoon on a no carb breakfast.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lord Midas

Lord Midas Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you so much, @Chook. This is a great story and incredibly helpful. It's a waiting game. Patience is the key. I'll certainly be low carbing forever.

3. Lord Midas

Lord Midas Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Chook 20 months! Wow, impressive patience. I know low carbing is essentially a lifestyle change, though that is a long time to get the results. I guess being on insulin is tougher to come off than tablets.

@Resurgam you must eat very few veggies too, to keep at 4gm of carbs. It must be a very high fat and protein diet.
    For the crashing try eating a little something before bed. I've often got some meat in the fridge, or some Hazelnuts, maybe a bit of cheddar, just a mouthful will do. This can help.

4. MARGAR

MARGAR Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm type2,with insulin & have been Keto-ing sine Early January this year, so was interested in your notes. But, I don't understand about your problems, I think you must be talking about different insulins you take at different times.
    I use Novamix 30 FlexPen for injecting before breakfast & before evening meal. Before January I was taking 31 units a.m. & 41 p.m., I'm now taking 23 a.m. & 30 units p.m. My b.s. Readings have improved greatly and I have lost 14lbs in weight. I have been diabetic for about 30 years and so wish I knew about
    Ketogenic eating years ago. Last week Nurse at GP's surgery was very pleased with my results & was praising me so much, I began to feel guilty & explained about my Keto way of life - she raised her eyebrows & said "is that eating protein?" I then told her I'm lowering my insulin gradually & did she agree..she said "carry on and lower it a couple of units at a time and see how you are".

I've got 100's of things to learn .. thought I couldn't possibly do without my usual carbs, toast, potatoes etc, but here I am, non of those things since Jan., and enjoy my fry-up breakfasts!

5. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I react to carbs differently morning and evening, but a few gm of carbs in a morning - a tomato or some mushrooms with the bacon and eggs for instance, and all is well until late evening when I can eat fairly liberally - 40 gm of carbs is possible then, though not from high carb foods, as I seem to react differently to them. No carbs in the morning and the BG goes on rising until about 3 pm and then goes down very fast. Just a few carbs seems to make a big difference. I need to eat soon after getting up too - fasting doesn't agree with me at all. Happily I got a meter and sorted out just what happened with various routines and settled on the one with the least variation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook