Confused And Fed Up!!! - Suddenly Higher/unstable Readings

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Normally, my levels are pretty stable and not too much rise and fall. However, when I changed the Libre sensor earlier this week, it jumped from a reading of 4.8 to 7.7 within the hour, for no apparent reason. It’s been stuck up at raised levels since. Obviously, I’ve checked blood readings, as I do so as to know if sensor is within similar range etc, and I was horrified to find it was pretty-well spot on!!!

I’ve considered dehydration, particularly as it’s been so hot here, but that’s not improved it much, if at all. I had an ear infection/antibiotics almost 2 months ago but surely, if that was going to affect my glucose levels, it wouldn’t take all those weeks to show a difference?

I feel well enough, apart from feeling very fed up with this, in spite of not changing anything I have eaten.

Can anyone suggest why this should be happening, please? It’s really getting me down. Motivation is hard enough (hence the Libre sensor) without this happening

Many thanks

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and my personal inabilities.
Have you considered maybe the anti biotics were actually dropping your bg and now your getting a truer reading?, just guessing tho.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can anyone suggest why this should be happening, please? It’s really getting me down. Motivation is hard enough (hence the Libre sensor) without this happening
I do sympathise. Raised bg readings really upset me too. I am wondering if you might just be LADA rather than T2, with your honeymoon period drawing towards a close. Are you over or under weight? In any case, in your place I would definitely book an appointment with my GP asap to try and find out what is happening.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you considered maybe the anti biotics were actually dropping your bg and now your getting a truer reading?, just guessing tho.
Thanks, @Grant1969

No, I don't feel the A/Bs have affected my levels. My levels had been consistently stable and reasonably lower for a long time prior to the antibiotics. Checking back on the reports, my averages were around 5.6 / 5.7 or even lower. Sat 4 Aug average was 5.2mmol/L, Sun 5.1, Mon 5.3, Tues 7.0, Weds 6.8, Thurs 6.2

For me, this is totally disheartening!!! :(

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do sympathise. Raised bg readings really upset me too. I am wondering if you might just be LADA rather than T2, with your honeymoon period drawing towards a close. Are you over or under weight? In any case, in your place I would definitely book an appointment with my GP asap to try and find out what is happening.
@Alexandra100
Thanks for responding

Unfortunately, I'm overweight, rather than underweight (I wish ...) I have lost 3 st since starting LCHF a few years ago but my weight is pretty static just now. I'm concentrating more on getting glucose levels down with a view to coming off the Glipizide again, but it does seem to be more difficult this time around.

I was diagnosed in 2009, I think, after having steroids for Polymyalgia for a few months. By chance, I discovered my glucose level was 19.6 (random, and maybe not long since eating something 'nice', like a jam donut ;) ) However, earlier in the year, when I had a nasty injury to my ankle, requiring surgery and metal work to fix the fractures, it was noticed, on routine initial blood tests, that I had raised glucose levels, which eventually reverted to 'normal' after a week, when I got the surgery. So, I knew diabetes was to follow at some point.

So, I have no idea if I may be LADA. It could, presumably, be a possibility but, as my GP already thinks I think I know too much, 'do my own thing' (self inject B12) I really doubt he'd take me seriously, to be honest, until I had shown sustained rise in glucose levels for a good period of time and an HbA1c showed significant evidence to consider this. I suspect my GP, or DN, would just put it down to the 'natural progression' of Type 2, tbh. So, I'll need very good reason to suggest it to them ... :( In their eyes, I'm already a 'nutter' (on antidepressants), and read too much on the internet .... ;)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In their eyes, I'm already a 'nutter'
Yes, I think my doctors see me like that. Fortunately they seem to find me an amusing nutter, so they are often willing to humour me and grant at least some of my requests.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have no idea if I may be LADA
As you say you are not under-weight, I don't think it is a very likely explanation for your raised bgs. Could you experiment by reducing the carbs in your diet for a while, to see if that brings your bg down?

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As you say you are not under-weight, I don't think it is a very likely explanation for your raised bgs. Could you experiment by reducing the carbs in your diet for a while, to see if that brings your bg down?
Umm, I feel I'm pretty low carb already. I keep thinking I should stop the fruit and cream for 'afters' for a bit to see if that makes any difference but ... I like my fruit and cream so much. I've got a very sweet tooth still, in spite of cutting out sugar etc!!! I'll not eat fruit tomorrow and see what happens.

As I said already, I can't see that I'm eating any differently than I have been for a long time. The fruit and cream doesn't normally spike me.

It's almost as if I was taking totally different tablets but that's definitely not the case. I'm taking the same tablets/brand that I've been taking for a while. I've just checked them ... as the thought that they might have been a different batch, or something etc, but not that.

The photos below show the difference between my typical readings (photo on 4 Aug) and today's (10 Aug) It's interesting to see that, even though I've taken Glipizide at 6pm, my glucose continued to rise. It just doesn't make any sense to me!!!

I really do appreciate your comments / advice, please

WP_20180810_22_31_09_Pro_Medium.jpg
WP_20180810_22_33_16_Pro_Medium.jpg

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I keep thinking I should stop the fruit and cream for 'afters' for a bit to see if that makes any difference but ... I like my fruit and cream so much
Sorry if you've already said, but what fruit do you eat with your cream and how much? Myself, I love rhubarb, which is the only fruit to make it onto Dr Bernstein's "permitted" list. (Stewed without sugar, of course.) But I limit my portion size to 50g uncooked weight, and eat it with a teaspoon to prolong the treat. This strategy really does work! Most people here would also permit themselves strawberries, raspberries and maybe wild blackberries, but only in small quantities.

PS I share your strong desire for a fruity "after". One way I address this problem is to eat a Hartley's 10 Cal fruit pot with my cream. These have only 0.4g carb per pot. They are not as nice as real fruit and of course they have no nutritional value, but they do fill that gap.
https://groceries.asda.com/product/fruit-jelly-pots/hartleys-10-cal-strawberry-jelly/910001389196

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I generally have about 5 strawberries, or a small fist-sized portion of raspberries, with a couple dessertsp cream. This will be after a low-carb main meal, ie above-ground veg with meat or cheese. Normally, ie for years, this has only just pushed the glucose level up a bit, having taken Glipizide which obviously helps. Even so, at lunchtime, my levels don't usually rise that much and the Glipizide will be out of my system by then.

I just don't understand this sudden rise since Tuesday. As I said, it's almost as if the tablets aren't having any effect any more. This certainly concerns me, needless to say. I'll have to see how it goes over the weekend and then decide if I should make an appt at the surgery.

Many thanks for all your help and support. Any further suggestions certainly welcomed ;)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I generally have about 5 strawberries, or a small fist-sized portion of raspberries, with a couple dessertsp cream. This will be after a low-carb main meal, ie above-ground veg with meat or cheese. Normally, ie for years, this has only just pushed the glucose level up a bit, having taken Glipizide which obviously helps. Even so, at lunchtime, my levels don't usually rise that much and the Glipizide will be out of my system by then.

I just don't understand this sudden rise since Tuesday. As I said, it's almost as if the tablets aren't having any effect any more. This certainly concerns me, needless to say. I'll have to see how it goes over the weekend and then decide if I should make an appt at the surgery.

Many thanks for all your help and support. Any further suggestions certainly welcomed ;)

Have you started a a new pot of test strips, or a new prescription? If new test strips, I might be inclined to open another pot for comparison (especially if they are a differing batch). New prescription? I'd check the packaging and if in a blister pack, the information printed there.

Otherwise, I'd try upping my fluids for a few days. The reality is you are also feeling a bit up-tight about it all which isn't likely to be on the positive side of things. Stress can be a real blood sugar rocket fuel.

Reactions: Grant1969

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you started a a new pot of test strips, or a new prescription? If new test strips, I might be inclined to open another pot for comparison (especially if they are a differing batch). New prescription? I'd check the packaging and if in a blister pack, the information printed there.

Otherwise, I'd try upping my fluids for a few days. The reality is you are also feeling a bit up-tight about it all which isn't likely to be on the positive side of things. Stress can be a real blood sugar rocket fuel.
Hi and thanks for responding

Yes, I've considered the dehydration aspect but, after a couple of days of drinking loads of water (Yuck!) it hasn't made any difference.

I've also checked my tablets and have been taking the same batch for the last month, and still some left.

Regarding the test strips, I'm almost finishing a pot so I don't think that would be the issue.

As I've already mentioned, it's almost as if the tablets are no longer having any effect. Yesterday evening, in spite of taking a Gliclazide at 6pm, having stir-fry and some strawberries with cream ( a frequent meal) my glucose level just kept rising. It eventually started dropping just before 11pm.

I'll have to see how it goes, with regular finger pricks, over the weekend, try to stick to largely low-carb foods, no fruit/cream, plenty fluids (non-alcoholic, of course) over the weekend, then re-assess.

Yes, I can understand how stress can affect this but I don't think I'm particularly stressed and certainly wasn't until I saw the sudden change. Hopefully, with being particularly careful re carbs over the weekend, it might settle down again ...

If my levels should remain higher like this, how long I should leave it before seeing GP or am I over-reacting?

Many thanks

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and thanks for responding

Yes, I've considered the dehydration aspect but, after a couple of days of drinking loads of water (Yuck!) it hasn't made any difference.

I've also checked my tablets and have been taking the same batch for the last month, and still some left.

Regarding the test strips, I'm almost finishing a pot so I don't think that would be the issue.

As I've already mentioned, it's almost as if the tablets are no longer having any effect. Yesterday evening, in spite of taking a Gliclazide at 6pm, having stir-fry and some strawberries with cream ( a frequent meal) my glucose level just kept rising. It eventually started dropping just before 11pm.

I'll have to see how it goes, with regular finger pricks, over the weekend, try to stick to largely low-carb foods, no fruit/cream, plenty fluids (non-alcoholic, of course) over the weekend, then re-assess.

Yes, I can understand how stress can affect this but I don't think I'm particularly stressed and certainly wasn't until I saw the sudden change. Hopefully, with being particularly careful re carbs over the weekend, it might settle down again ...

If my levels should remain higher like this, how long I should leave it before seeing GP or am I over-reacting?

Many thanks

You know your body, so you can decide when you want to go. Staying in double figures for any length of time isn't the way to go.

On the two images above, albeit they are for different time frames, so can't be directly compared (although you could with the raw data if you downloaded it), it looks like you have always had a sharp increase (looks about 4-8) in towards lunchtime. What causes that? The you come down and meander nicely before evening.

To be honest, if it were me, I would want to map at least two weeks in deep detail for foods eaten, when and matching blood readings, by finger prick testing. The Libre can vary and the graph is useful, but sometimes the sensor meanders when the bloods don't really - for me anyway. So, along with the food and testing, I'd add exercise, medications taken and how I felt.

With that information you may be able to see some subtle things, but it will also give your Doc and you something to talk about. Rocking up to an appointment just saying my numbers seema bit higher than usual doesn't gove your Doc much to go on, and he could end up just thinking you must be doing something differently and send you on your way.

I don't think anyone can tell you what's going on. If my strips were close to the end of the pot, I'd go for a fresh pot, just in case the originals had sat in the sun (remember that big yellow thing in the sky?) or had become contaminated in another way.

That way you are creating data, but also, hopefully, eliminating any other potential frailties in the picture.

Good luck with it all.

Maybe call for an appointment for a couple of weeks ahead, then if nothing changes you have the date. If there's a lightbulb moment along the way, you can always cancel the appointment and make someone's day.

I hope you get to the bottom of it.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks @DCUKMod
I appreciate your comments and advice. I'll keep a note of what I'm doing, eating etc, plus recording blood glucose results, alongside Libre readings (which I normally to keep some details, but will be more particular re what I record)

I'll see how things go over the weekend and the next week or so and then make a decision as to what, if anything, I should do.

Good suggestion re making appt at surgery in advance as, as you say, I can cancel if it's not required. Doing this online is brilliant too ;)

Many thanks again

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good suggestion re making appt at surgery in advance as, as you say, I can cancel if it's not required. Doing this online is brilliant too ;)
I totally agree! Being able to book an appointment online has transformed the procedure for me, and I frequently have an appointment booked for about 2 weeks' time just in case. (I have a lot of health problems, so do see my GP quite often.) Before I had to ring the surgery at opening time and keep getting engaged and redialling sometimes for 10+ minutes. Then when I finally got through and had listened to the recorded messages (lots of them) I would often be told all the appointments were gone. I find too that it is often possible to get a last minute appointment when someone else has cancelled. Yet another advance in the medical field for us to appreciate.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks @DCUKMod
I appreciate your comments and advice. I'll keep a note of what I'm doing, eating etc, plus recording blood glucose results, alongside Libre readings (which I normally to keep some details, but will be more particular re what I record)

I'll see how things go over the weekend and the next week or so and then make a decision as to what, if anything, I should do.

Many thanks again

Do you download the Libre raw data and examine that ever?

If not, it contains "readings" every 15 minutes, whether you have scanned or not (you can identify the actual scans in the data). This allows you to examine the data in more detail, and you may find something of interest in there.

I know I learned a lot from using the Libre (from time to time), but I learned way more from examining the raw data, than just looking at the monitor or even downloaded graphs. If you have the skills and experience, you can obviosly manipulate the raw data to identify your graphs and trends in much more detail.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you download the Libre raw data and examine that ever?

If not, it contains "readings" every 15 minutes, whether you have scanned or not (you can identify the actual scans in the data). This allows you to examine the data in more detail, and you may find something of interest in there.

I know I learned a lot from using the Libre (from time to time), but I learned way more from examining the raw data, than just looking at the monitor or even downloaded graphs. If you have the skills and experience, you can obviosly manipulate the raw data to identify your graphs and trends in much more detail.
Hi

Yes, I do download the data and save the reports as pdf files, plus as .txt file. I haven't spent time working out how to do more than a basic graph with the data and would like to work on that to create some more meaningful information. Unfortunatley, I've forgotten a lot of the Excel stuff I have previously studied so need to get back into that. It would be a good 'project'. Any help welcomed ;)

Many thanks, yet again :)

waterfall2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When my numbers were a little high I remembered reading someone said they ate something sweet then the numbers went down. I've found I sometimes need to up my carbs (+20 -> +30g) to lower my numbers. I'm guessing my liver needs it still sometimes to not feel like my body is in crisis ..... like for dieters that hit plateaus? Also I'm suspecting a little raise in carbs sort of reminds my body it needs to work at it and not get complacent then my numbers drop a lot. I do that for my supper and then it is good again for quite a while. For me anyway.

Reactions: Bluetit1802