Type 2 Confused blood sugar reading - newly diagnosed

jyn972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I have only been taking my blood sugar readings since Saturday but I am confused by the reading a got this morning. My reading last night was 12.7 (10.00pm 2 hours after food and a long walk) when I took my reading this morning it was 14.3 (7.30am before breakfast no liquids either) is this normal or am I taking the readings at the wrong time

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi jyn, when I was diagnosed in May I was testing eight times a day. On waking, before and two hours after first bite of each meal and then at bedtime. I've now dropped the one on waking as I seem to not be suffering from liver dump/dawn phenomenon any longer. That's what you're seeing, a rise of blood sugar reading overnight caused by the liver dumping sugar into your blood stream while you're asleep in readiness for the day ahead. Here's a link about it:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You will not start to get normal blood glucose levels for a while, it is still early days and your liver will most likely be only too willing to release glucose into your bloodstream.
If you can lower your post meal readings down by reducing your intake of carbs then your metabolism will, hopefully begin to correct itself.