confused now :(

ian francis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi guys im type 2 and was given the wrong testing strips on the 26th of march so today saw a locum dr he ran me through the comp and said basically he cant see why i test or was told to he says only type 1 should test and told me do i really need a test to tell me not to eat a biscuit or piece of cake really made me feel like i was wasting the drs time came out feeling down do you reckon hes right should i stop really knocked me back a bit the nurse told me to test because i drive a bus so long periods seated etc just so unsure now sorry to ask.....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your nurse gave you very good advice. Your locum didn't.

It is not standard practice to give newly diagnosed type 2s the means to test. However, a lot of us feel self-testing is so important that we buy our own equipment and test regularly. Your nurse sounds like she has her head screwed on. Did you get her name? Because they are not all the same.

Now that you have the means and the training to use your meter and strips, then I suggest you go for it, testing regularly for a few days. Before eating, 1 hour after starting eating, then again at 2 hours. Write your numbers down (lots of apps available), and see how it goes. Note down the foods that result in high (or low) readings. Also do a bit of reading on what are normal, good, high, safe driving, unsafe driving levels...

After a few days you will have built up a picture of how your body reacts to the food you are feeding it.

If you are anything like me, you will find it a fascinating, priceless, education. You may only need to test for a few days, or weeks, or maybe only when driving, but whatever you decide it will be an informed decision.

Oh, one more thing - it may be worth doing a search for any threads to do with driving and the DVLA. It may not be relevant to you at the moment, but I believe knowledge is always useful!

Reactions: 7 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

That is infuriating, Ian. Please keep testing.

Not all food contains obvious carbs/sugar such as biscuits and cake. Healthy foods do too - milk, fruits, pulses. If you want to incorporate healthy foods into your diet, you have to know how you react to them. The locum sounds like an idiot.

Reactions: 5 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Do you get the strips on prescription..? Was this a mix up at the chemist with the wrong blood test strips?
Either way the locum was out of order if it was your regular GPs decision to prescribe..
If I guessed right, can't the chemist correct what they gave you...? I always check the bag before leaving the premises.

Good control saves a lot of complications later whatever type D you are... Your nurse was right!

Reactions: 2 people

ian francis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi i got a boots monitor and they gave me freestyle strips when it should of been freestyle optium strips the chemist said i needed a new perscription which is why i was seeing the dr thanks for the replies maybe i shouldnt take it to heart stil a tad worried bout it all got a meeting at desmonds a group of diabetecs next month should shed some light thanks again guys this site is a god send

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi i got a boots monitor and they gave me freestyle strips when it should of been freestyle optium strips the chemist said i needed a new perscription which is why i was seeing the dr thanks for the replies maybe i shouldnt take it to heart stil a tad worried bout it all got a meeting at desmonds a group of diabetecs next month should shed some light thanks again guys this site is a god send
Just a theory..?!
I'd wager that locum didn't have "admin rites" to change the prescription on the computer..
Don't let em fob you off mate..

Reactions: 2 people