Rubyroo44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello
Am type one diabetic. For last three days am having constant hypos during afternoon and evening eg tonight was 9.3 pre meal. An hour later was 3.8. Am on 1:10 ratio. Changed two things recently:

1. Brought levemir dose forward from (very varying but generally 11pm ISH) to 8:30pm SHARP. Could taking it at same time make it suddenly much more effective?

2. Started with accuchek expert to work out correction doses for me.
Which do you think is most to blame? Am absolutely knackered. Tonight cant get it up past 3.8 - have had a litre of apple juice, can of coke and bag of fizzy sweets. Feel sick as a dog. Tested meter and tried another too.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Rubyroo44 Sorry to hear this, what a nightmare..

Few questions.. are you splitting your levemir ? Are you doing any more exercise than usual ? Have you got much quick acting insulin on board when these hypos occur ?

It may be because you have bought your levemir forward that there is an overlap though as it can last between 18 and 26 hours, when I took levemir I split my dose which balanced me out over 24 hours. Probably best to reduce your basal dose until your levels start to come up again until you find your comfort zone and try this ?

Rubyroo44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks so much for your reply.

Not splitting Levemir, take one dose (33 units) before bed. Now taking at 8:30. Just wondering if taking it at same time everynight would massively increase effectiveness? Obviously then I would need less I guess.
No more exercise than usual.
I would say I have MORE active insulin on board due to increased corrective doses because of expert meter.

How long do you think adjustment would take for overlap compensation ? I used to take Levemir anywhere between 8pm and 1am (rubbish) and for last three nights been taking it at 8:30pm. Have dropped a few units tonight to see what happens.
Thanks again very much.

Hi @Rubyroo44 Sorry to hear this, what a nightmare..

Few questions.. are you splitting your levemir ? Are you doing any more exercise than usual ? Have you got much quick acting insulin on board when these hypos occur ?

It may be because you have bought your levemir forward that there is an overlap though as it can last between 18 and 26 hours, when I took levemir I split my dose which balanced me out over 24 hours. Probably best to reduce your basal dose until your levels start to come up again until you find your comfort zone and try this ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
How much quick acting had you got on board and what were your previous BG readings ? If you're taking correction doses then this could be the reason your crashing.

I don't think taking levemir at the same time every night increases effectiveness at all - it's just becoming more regimental in your practise, if you look at the graph you can see it does lose it's effectiveness towards the end of the day, but by bringing your injection forward 2.5 hours means you've overlapped and could indicate the hypo. However if you've been taking quick acting corrections prior to this then this can also impact on your BG levels so it may well be a combination of these factors

Attachments

• Levemir profile.jpg
    Levemir profile.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 396

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @Rubyroo44
you are mentioning using a new meter that adds correction doses to meal time bolus ?
could it be that the parameters for the meter are actually over dosing you ( IE : -- giving a larger correction than you really need )