Constantly worried about sugar levels?

Chlo1999o

Hello there, firstly I appreciate you reading this, I’m 20 years old with arthritis and have been diagnosed with reactive hypoglycaemia. I have been to the ER with hypos of 2 and after eating my sugar can drop down to 3.8 and I find myself constantly anxious and worried about my sugar levels throughout the day and I have a monitor to check but how can I not worry so much please any advice is much appreciated Thankyou

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Do you have diabetes as well as RH, or is RH your only glucose dysregulation?
And what has your health team suggested you do to control your RH? Have they given you any medication, or diet advice?
I'm guessing that you have a blood glucose meter? Are you using it just when you feel ill, or are you using it systematically to discover what effect the food you are eating is having on your blood glucose.

I totally get the anxiety around hypos. Always worriting about when the next one will happen.
Fortunately, quite a few of the RHers here on the forum have got our lives back by adjusting our diets to prevent both the hypers and the hypos. So there is definitely hope!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello there, firstly I appreciate you reading this, I’m 20 years old with arthritis and have been diagnosed with reactive hypoglycaemia. I have been to the ER with hypos of 2 and after eating my sugar can drop down to 3.8 and I find myself constantly anxious and worried about my sugar levels throughout the day and I have a monitor to check but how can I not worry so much please any advice is much appreciated Thankyou
Hi and welcome to our forum.
Being diagnosed is only one of the steps on the ladder to getting your health back,
If you have had the tests, you will already be aware of what glucose does to your blood sugar levels, being aware that the best way to control your condition by dietary means is another step. Knowing what triggers the hyper then the hypos is important.
And of course what foods doesn't make your blood sugar levels bounce around is how you get your health issues and symptoms better.
Depending on your intolerance to carbs and sugars, this will cause the symptoms. Because these intolerant foods turn to glucose very quickly, the same as a glucose tolerance test. The higher the spike the worse the drop in blood sugar levels later.
Unfortunately, anxiety and worry are also symptoms and of course anybody would worry about a condition they have never heard of and is quite rare.
The kind of information about treatment is not that reliable and often follows a pattern similar to most dietary advice given to those with certain conditions such as diabetes.
This has been found to be in most cases, wrong. Only avoiding those foods will stop the rollercoaster ride of blood glucose levels that RH and eating carbs will do.
Using your glucometer to discover those foods, will benefit in the long run. Control is the key, keeping your blood sugar levels in normal levels continually is the best treatment. A food diary is a great way to get control. Taking readings around what you eat will give you the evidence of what is happening. There are some good apps, that you can use.
When you get to a time, when you know what foods causes the symptoms and you stop the hypos, and you feel better, your confidence will improve and the anxiety and worry will diminish.
There is plenty of information in the forum about RH and how to get control of your blood sugar levels.
Please read and if you need questions answered, we will try and help you as much as possible.

Best wishes and welcome to the forum