M

Member496333

There's quite a bit of debate about whether fibre is good for constipation or just adds more bulk to the already existing problem. Like adding more cars to a traffic jam.
Personally I found with any "not going" feeling a teaspoon of magnesium citrate in a glass of warm salty water sorts it out pretty fast.. 12 hours later and you turbo charge the evacuation. ..beware its powerful stuff!

Yes, it does appear that the fibre story may be just another example of dietary advice being completely backwards;
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/

"Patients with chronic constipation may also have worsening symptoms when dietary fiber intake is increased"

"This study has confirmed that the previous strongly-held belief that the application of dietary fiber to help constipation is but a myth. Our study shows a very strong correlation between improving constipation and its associated symptoms after stopping dietary fiber intake."

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have told my doctor several times and they've only told me to eat more fibre and drink more water and exercise. I drink 3litre a day of water I eat lots of almonds, and I exercise 4 times a week. I don't know anymore.

Almonds have a lot of fibre. They may be the culprit?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I have been diabetic 5 years now.
I have been on number of drugs since being diagnosed. I have had constipation for a long time. Doctors told me to eat more fibre, I have and I eat more veggies too, I've been on laxido too and it works but when I come off it, the constipation starts over. I have gone 2 weeks or more without any bowel movement I'm now only on metformin sr and wanted to know if anyone has experienced constipation due to metformin sr.

Thanks all.
As you will know, diabetes damages nerves. In my case I believe it damaged my vagal nerve, which regulates digestion. My solution is to use glycerol suppositories (not to be confused with enemas). I find they have an almost instant effect. The bowel movement is there all ready to come out, but the trigger urge is lacking, which the glycerol supplies. These little jelly torpedoes can be bought over the counter in packs of 6, but I get them on prescription. It is said to be OK to have anything from multiple movements a day to much rarer ones, but NOT if you feel uncomfortable or end up with a hard, painful stool that is agony to pass.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As you will know, diabetes damages nerves. In my case I believe it damaged my vagal nerve, which regulates digestion. My solution is to use glycerol suppositories (not to be confused with enemas). I find they have an almost instant effect. The bowel movement is there all ready to come out, but the trigger urge is lacking, which the glycerol supplies. These little jelly torpedoes can be bought over the counter in packs of 6, but I get them on prescription. It is said to be OK to have anything from multiple movements a day to much rarer ones, but NOT if you feel uncomfortable or end up with a hard, painful stool that is agony to pass.

I shall try this too, when I do have a bowel movement and go, it isnt hard so I'm not sure, I will go once a week then once every 2 weeks. I do eat veggies and mix my meal plan up so I'm not sure.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Almonds have a lot of fibre. They may be the culprit?

Almond I have occasionally, I eat them whenever I have craving. So I'll try without them one day and see any difference maybe more than one day

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Who would have thought there would be as many ways to try to resolve as there are messages? I have been told I have IBS and diverticulitis so have biscoydl every night, laxido when I remember but the last time I was stuck I remembered idly reading the laxido box that you could take it at intervals during the day I think every two hours or something and that certainly worked. The other thing I try is a couple of satsumas which usually works explosively. I think that my insides are just so mixed up with all the medication I take for different things they just don't remember what to do. Metformin didn't give me any of the side effects I expected when I started taking it, probably because I already had them!

Cpurchase

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I too suffer from constipation on a regular basis. I came off my metformin for a while but that made no difference! I did find Senna quite helpful...
One concern I do have is the long time effect on my body?

Damtov8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For me milk of magnesia solves the problem. For the fibre I make sauerkraut which improves the gut bacteria. And of course walking helps.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I noticed that using my trampoline tended to get things moving - I bought myself a big one for the garden as a present. I don't have any bother these days, though eating low carb does mean less to get rid of - garbage in garbage out seems to apply