Continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) and mental health

Nesh93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm curious to know whether anyone has experienced more or less anxiety or mental health anguish after having switched to a CGM? I personally feel as though, although I've improved upon my glucose control, that I'm frustrated, annoyed and anxious about my glucose readings and whether I'm in or out of my target (and for how long).

Reactions: LamaLiam

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It will be an individual/personal thing for everyone, some people love having all the data, some people just don't

Personally as a very data driven person I find it the best thing ever, but that's just me and I love data.
I've also have T1 for long enough to realise that its a target range that it'd be better to be in, but I'm not going to die if I don't stay in it all the time - so I do not to get anxious about it - I do sometimes swear at it but I know I cannot do the same job as a pancreas.

SWWCHRIS

It will be an individual/personal thing for everyone, some people love having all the data, some people just don't

Personally as a very data driven person I find it the best thing ever, but that's just me and I love data.
I've also have T1 for long enough to realise that its a target range that it'd be better to be in, but I'm not going to die if I don't stay in it all the time - so I do not to get anxious about it - I do sometimes swear at it but I know I cannot do the same job as a pancreas.
I'm curious to know whether anyone has experienced more or less anxiety or mental health anguish after having switched to a CGM? I personally feel as though, although I've improved upon my glucose control, that I'm frustrated, annoyed and anxious about my glucose readings and whether I'm in or out of my target (and for how long).
My mental health has suffered greatly since starting to use Libre and recently I stopped using the sensors and reverted to finger pricking. This has been life changing, i am now sleeping properly again, my anxiety levels have plummeted and I feel I am back in control. Of course having said that I would not for one minute suggest you do the same, its just that people cope with the 24/7 data in different ways.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Only way I suffer is I now sort of suffer OCD in that barley 20 minute can pass without checking... but the actual level doesn't make me panic

Reactions: oldgreymare

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It seems perfectly normal to feel like that when you have more data at your finger tips....some people are just more prone to perfection than others...

I actually experienced it slightly after DAFNE back in 09....

Since being on the pump and relaxing a bit, the move to a sensor was effortless and hasn't produced any anxiety..

Reactions: oldgreymare