Freestyle Libre Mental Health

SWWCHRIS

I have been using Freestyle Libre sensors for around 2 years. I have always struggled with information overload and the sensors cause loads if anxiety.

I recently took the decision myself to revert to blood testing and its been a life changing move.

I am no longer constantly anxious

My readings are pretty constant

I am now sleeping through the night after months of sleepless nights

Its truly feels amazing to be released from the 24/7 stress of having the sensor attached.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

How did your medical team react to you coming off libre?

Thanks

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

In contrast. I found the Libre made my work life less hassle. (I am still fully hypo awair.) But to pre-empt & treat lows at a glance. Was a boom. (& I come from the days of peeing in a tube or on a stick?)

I just turn the alarms off at night. Apart from the one that wakes me for work, of course..

Reactions: chrisbug

SWWCHRIS

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

In contrast. I found the Libre made my work life less hassle. (I am still fully hypo awair.) But to pre-empt & treat lows at a glance. Was a boom. (& I come from the days of peeing in a tube or on a stick?)

I just turn the alarms off at night. Apart from the one that wakes me for work, of course..

Thanks. I to have come from the urine test days. I absolutely get the benefits of libre but unfortunately it has been causing me massive amounts of anxiety and data overload. This often results in over correction in either direction, also the sensors always seem to read lower (checked when flat lining). My control was always good before libre, and in fact there has been a slight deterioration over the two libre years. I guess I may come bacj to it, but currently just plan to use Libre for holidays/times when I have a higher need for 24/7 monitoring.

For now I feel released after two years of constant stress, so am enjoying the moment

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. I to have come from the urine test days. I absolutely get the benefits of libre but unfortunately it has been causing me massive amounts of anxiety and data overload. This often results in over correction in either direction, also the sensors always seem to read lower (checked when flat lining). My control was always good before libre, and in fact there has been a slight deterioration over the two libre years. I guess I may come bacj to it, but currently just plan to use Libre for holidays/times when I have a higher need for 24/7 monitoring.

For now I feel released after two years of constant stress, so am enjoying the moment

At the end of the day. It's your condition.
Your personal wellbeing is paramount.

Lol, I've quit the odd job due to demands needlessly crossing the line of "work/life balance."

It can be liberating.. :)

Reactions: EllieM

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@SWWCHRIS I completely understand how you feel.
I have continued to use my Libre but take regular "Libre holidays".
This help me to stop obsessing over the numbers and gives me confidence I can manage when technology breaks down.
I am usually "ready to go back to (Libre) work" when my holiday ends but the break is good for me.

My diabetes team are happy with me doing this and never questioned my approach.

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This just shows on that people are all different. What works for one, may not work for another, and vice versa.

For me, I thrive on as much information as possible. In fact, it drives my entire behaviour as to managing my diabetes. My libre tells me me when I have been a good boy, or whether I have been naughty! For example, I have recently got into the habit of eating a slice of rye toast at breakfast - the consequence is that I am getting a sugar spike, and have to use some rapid insulin to zap the sugar in my blood. I am ok with my libre wagging its finger at me saying stop doing what I am doing!

Reactions: M@ and EllieM

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some people thrive on data (such as myself), however some people just cannot deal with all the data and either one is perfectly fine.

@SWWCHRIS you have to do what is best for you, not what others find is best for them :)

You can also change your mind later if you want :)

Smiler99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles
I have been using Freestyle Libre sensors for around 2 years. I have always struggled with information overload and the sensors cause loads if anxiety.

I recently took the decision myself to revert to blood testing and its been a life changing move.

I am no longer constantly anxious

My readings are pretty constant

I am now sleeping through the night after months of sleepless nights

Its truly feels amazing to be released from the 24/7 stress of having the sensor attached.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

How did your medical team react to you coming off libre?

Thanks
I have only been using mine since October last year and its driven me demand I have had a wee of not wearing it and I feel much happy in the 5 months I have had 4 faulty ones due to them going off unnecessary I am thinking of not going back to using one but unsure

SWWCHRIS

@SWWCHRIS I completely understand how you feel.
I have continued to use my Libre but take regular "Libre holidays".
This help me to stop obsessing over the numbers and gives me confidence I can manage when technology breaks down.
I am usually "ready to go back to (Libre) work" when my holiday ends but the break is good for me.

My diabetes team are happy with me doing this and never questioned my approach.
Thank you for your reply (all the replies to my post have helped massively). As you might tell I partly ended up here just to feel I am not alone. Thanks again

SWWCHRIS

Some people thrive on data (such as myself), however some people just cannot deal with all the data and either one is perfectly fine.

@SWWCHRIS you have to do what is best for you, not what others find is best for them :)

You can also change your mind later if you want :)
Thanks your reply helps me

SWWCHRIS

This just shows on that people are all different. What works for one, may not work for another, and vice versa.

For me, I thrive on as much information as possible. In fact, it drives my entire behaviour as to managing my diabetes. My libre tells me me when I have been a good boy, or whether I have been naughty! For example, I have recently got into the habit of eating a slice of rye toast at breakfast - the consequence is that I am getting a sugar spike, and have to use some rapid insulin to zap the sugar in my blood. I am ok with my libre wagging its finger at me saying stop doing what I am doing!

Thanks for your reply, as with all the others it does help, and I appreciate you taking the time.

RoughcutAU

Only diagnosed August last year and haven’t jumped on the Flash/CGM bandwagon yet and not in a big rush to. My Endo asked if I was interested at one of my earlier appointments but since he is very happy with the data provided from regular fingerprick readings and so far good control and good Hba1c’s.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
My biggest driver behind using a cgm is that I was starting to lose hypo awareness. (I self fund a dexcom G6 which alerts me before I go hypo, as long as I have my phone with me, which I don't always.) This provides massive reassurance (for me) but I can understand why others might find a cgm oppressive. We all have to learn to manage our diabetes in the way that works best for us, as individuals.

Reactions: RoughcutAU