Type 2 Controlling Blood sugars and low carb

AlbertoLaidlaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I have been monitoring my blood sugars now since November, I have also modified my diet by reducing my carb intake to 150 gms per day, as a consequence my weight has also dropped by almost a stone, which is great.

My concern is that my blood sugars are still averaging 9.10 mmI/L no where near the recommended 7.8 maximum, when can I expect a reduction and should I be taking further action. i.e. my diet contains fruit which makes up the bulk of my carb intake, should I exclude fruit which I would find difficult.

I am on metformin and take two 850 gm tablets per day one in the morning and one in the evening. I also have a good exercise regime.

Any help or suggestions would be helpful thanks

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My suggestion is to keep reducing your carbs until you reach your target level. I personally can't eat more than 25g of carbs at any meal if I want to stay under 7.8. It's a very individual thing and the only way to find out your carb tolerance is to keep on testing.

Reactions: 4 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could reduce carbs further and see if it helps. Fruit is mostly sugar, if you mean apples, oranges and such. There are however lots of less carby fruits like tomatoes, avocado, peppers and zucchini. It's better to have sweet fruit as an occasional treat and eat vegetables instead. Spinach, kale, sprouts, winter squash and cabbage are fine.

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately we do have to make compromises for the sake of good diabetic control. Berries are probably some of the best fruits to eat on a low carb diet, but you'll need to watch the amount of fruit you eat if you want to reduce your glucose levels.

I eat under 50g carbs a day and manage to include small portions of low carb fruits, mainly berries, in my diet every day as well as eating a fairly wide selection of vegetables, I do treat Totto's fruits as part of my veggies though!:p My average after meal glucose levels for recent months are 7.0.

Robbity

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately we do have to make compromises for the sake of good diabetic control. Berries are probably some of the best fruits to eat on a low carb diet, but you'll need to watch the amount of fruit you eat if you want to reduce your glucose levels.
Robbity
I just eat a few raspberries occasionally with double cream. I read recently that growers were trying to bread bigger, sweeter, blackberries. No doubt they will keep on until we can't even eat berries. Brilliant.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also eat under 50g carbs a day.

If i ate as much as 150 g a day, i think my blood glucose would be much higher than yours is, so you may not need to go as low, which would be good. :)

Just keep reducing til you hit your target blood glucose range.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just eat a few raspberries occasionally with double cream. I read recently that growers were trying to bread bigger, sweeter, blackberries. No doubt they will keep on until we can't even eat berries. Brilliant.
Well, they've already done this with bananas to the extent that some zoos will no longer feed them to their monkeys due to diabetic issues... See Google here! Appalling what gets done in the name of progress isn't it! :eek::wideyed:

Certainly some of the supermarket blackberries I've eaten recently have borne no relation size wise to the ones we used to pick from the hedgerows.

Robbity

PSI don;t eat any of my fruit "neat" either, it's either accompanied by cream or youghurt or included in low carb muffins as mini "sponge puddings".

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on 20g of carbs a day and appear after 2 years to be in remission ... I still eat low carbs because I like eating this way. Don't forget to add in good fats to your low carb way of eating.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Keep at it and if the blood sugar doesn't come down do come back for more suggestions.