Conversions- USA to UK

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I live in the USA and actually measure my blood glucose in mg/dl instead of the mmol/L used in the UK. I convert it daily to facilitate discussions with members here on the forum which is based in the UK.

Fasting Blood Sugar Conversion
I simply divide my mg/dl number by 18 to get to the mmol/L.
An example would be 100 mg/dl divided by 18 equals 5.5 mmol per liter.
Written in mathematical formula its: 100/18 = 5.5

HA1c Conversion
I also convert my HA1c which you label HbA1C from USA units to UK units. (DCCT to IFCC)
I use this formula:
From mmol/mol to %
(New number/10.929)+2.15

From % to mmol/mol
(Old number-2.15)x10.929

I also use this converter to check the accuracy of my math:
www.hba1cnet.com/hba1c-calculator/

This site also gives you a comparison of what your HA1c would likely be but many factors can effect your HA1c and your daily fasting blood glucose number may produce a different HA1c than this estimate for many reasons.
http://www.hba1cnet.com/hba1c-calculator/

Reactions: samantha13

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Contralto I hope this helps-these are also posted on the home page of this site-you just have to look for them separately. I took the HA1c conversion formulas another Diabetes support website: http://diabetes-support.org.uk/diabetes_forum/index.php?topic=2286.0

I also found this conversion very helpful:
British person says "That is very interesting!"
They really mean "That is complete garbage and I have stopped listening to you 10 minutes ago."

American says: "Cool, I'll look into that!"
They really mean "Stop talking and let me finish my donut."
:):angelic:

Last edited:
Reactions: samantha13

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well done you for converting before you post on here. It would be lovely if others using different units would follow suit!

Surely it is easier just to use the converters on this website than start dividing by 18?

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-converter.html

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html
No it is not easier for me-You have to find the darn thing every time to use the converter. I have a little twitch in my fingers that often repeats numbers so I enter the wrong number into the converter and have to do it again. I like using simple math-it's good for the brain. I actually remember some of the conversions I use most often and use my memory as a quick check of calculations. :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Also, conversions for weight:
2.2 pounds = 1 Kilogram
1 stone = 14 pounds

So, 180 lbs also equals 81.8 kg or 12 stone 12 lbs.
The convention for using stones is to report whole stones plus the remainder in pounds.

Last edited:

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the conversion subject, one should always remember a US Pint is not the same amount as an Imperial Pint, and the same goes for Gallons.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also, conversions for weight:
1 pound = 2.2 Kilograms
1 stone = 14 pounds

So, 180 lbs also equals 81.8 kg or 12 stone 12 lbs.
The convention for using stones is to report whole stones plus the remainder in pounds.

thanks SWUSA :)

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
On the conversion subject, one should always remember a US Pint is not the same amount as an Imperial Pint, and the same goes for Gallons.
I did not know that-go our gas prices per gallon can not be compared directly to petrol per gallon prices in the UK?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just stole this from Wikipedia

"The imperial pint (≈ 568 ml) is used in the United Kingdom and Ireland and to a limited extent in Commonwealth nations. In the United States, two pints are used: a liquid pint (≈ 473 ml) and a less-common dry pint (≈ 551 ml). Each of these pints is one-eighth of its respective gallon but the gallons differ and the imperial pint is about 20% larger than the US liquid pint. This difference dates back to 1824, when the British Weights and Measures Act standardised various liquid measures throughout the British Empire, while the United States continued to use the earlier English measures. The imperial pint consists of 20 imperial fluid ounces and the US liquid pint is 16 US fluid ounces, making the imperial fluid ounce about 4% smaller than the US fluid ounce."

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I just stole this from Wikipedia

"The imperial pint (≈ 568 ml) is used in the United Kingdom and Ireland and to a limited extent in Commonwealth nations. In the United States, two pints are used: a liquid pint (≈ 473 ml) and a less-common dry pint (≈ 551 ml). Each of these pints is one-eighth of its respective gallon but the gallons differ and the imperial pint is about 20% larger than the US liquid pint. This difference dates back to 1824, when the British Weights and Measures Act standardised various liquid measures throughout the British Empire, while the United States continued to use the earlier English measures. The imperial pint consists of 20 imperial fluid ounces and the US liquid pint is 16 US fluid ounces, making the imperial fluid ounce about 4% smaller than the US fluid ounce."
Thank you, very informative.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

On my favourite TV show from the USA, Dr G: Medical Examiner, she always weighs the body parts in grams. I find that odd.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
On my favourite TV show from the USA, Dr G: Medical Examiner, she always weighs the body parts in grams. I find that odd.
I think that is pretty standard for medical stuff here. We weigh in kilograms (and they convert it to pounds so we understand it) now at the doctor's offices. Our doctor's use centimeters for describing skin lesions. We still use inches and feet in general but medically they use cm and meter, gram and kilogram here in the USA.

Reactions: Avocado Sevenfold
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey, all. I found this page to be interesting! I was diagnosed in 1978. I lived in the US for 15 years, returning to the UK in 2014. Took me a while to get my head around the numbers used in the US for blood glucose, I wish I'd found this thread years ago!