Coronavirus - How at risk am I?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got the sniffles so thought you'd go to the gym and pass on your bacteria in the air and all over the gym eqiupment. Well done you.

Oh come on! A few sniffles won't hurt anyone, humans are a hardy bunch! I'd be more concerned about general hygiene than a few sniffles.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I'm 70
I have asthma, myasthenia gravis, diabetes and I take an Immunosuppressant

This virus is virtually totally unknown it is more virulent than the flu virus and is now pandemic I shall not be carrying on as normal but will be taking precautions because one thing I know is if I do get it I will be lucky to survive it.

One thing I will be sure to do is stay away from any gym frequented by @Ushthetaff

And as having had to study cross infection in depth as part of my degree course I am not prepared to be
blase about it.

Well John, you'd best stay out of public life altogether if a few sniffles bothers you, the bus, the tube, the shops, the Drs...just about everywhere.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How will anyone know who it is who is giving it to them ! Some people are just carriers, even if we do what Italy are doing someone is going to break the curfew. Have they st

had sniffles for a week also so should I stay in or should I wear a full body suit with B/ A set or should I stay in permanently become a recluse and worry about everything that could happen or carry on hmm let me think about tHat for a millisecond
Ps that’s for the “well done “much appreciated I shall wear it like a badge glad I’m doing something right

Hi there, I agree with you. Anyone would think you had gone there knowing you had coronavirus!

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hi there, I agree with you. Anyone would think you had gone there knowing you had coronavirus!
Well I’ve had sniffles a week no other symptoms no high temp so guess at this point in time I don’t have it, as it takes 7 days to show however next week I could have got it from someone who has it and so it goes on! In all seriousness , I just looked at figures in my area and there are 6 cases in an area population of about 306,000 .i do know this will raise sporting events are still going on. I am trying to keep myself healthy diet blood sugars etc EXCERCISE lol , until I am told OFFICIALLY I can’t go about my daily business then I will ,

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Younger people are very low risk, so that's positive.

I don't think there are any positives. A risk is a risk. As you say, we should be taking all the recommended precautions. There's a very good Youtube video of an English guy living in China who has had this virus and has now been in quarantine for 40 days. I found it very interesting if only to see the stages. It would seem that pneumonia is the final stage. It's at

As the chart shows, youngsters are at less risk, it's no consolation when you have pneumonia and struggling for breath. I had bronchial pneumonia in my 20s and I'd rather not have it again.

Coronavirus Age, Sex, Demographics (COVID-19) - Worldometer.png

Source: WHO and the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well John, you'd best stay out of public life altogether if a few sniffles bothers you, the bus, the tube, the shops, the Drs...just about everywhere.

Just so and then I will probably outlive you.

Just in case you have not kept up with the news.

"Anyone with a "new, continuous" cough or high temperature is now advised to self-isolate for seven days, as the UK government moves to the "delay" phase of its plan to tackle coronavirus."

PM Boris Johnson said it was "the worst public health crisis for a generation" and warned many families they would "lose loved ones before their time".

By the way one of those loved ones of mine that is severely at risk is a a young man not elderly but in his late twenties who happens to have systic fibrosis it is not just your own selfishly smug self you should be concerned for but those around you who you may put at risk.

John6468

I’m 62, T1, previous viral pneumonia. Control currently not great, possibly due to recent cortisone injection. Would it be sensible for me to travel to Portugal , Algarve in a couple of days time ? It feels counter intuitive to put myself through airport , spend c3 hours on an aircraft followed by 5 days eating from a buffet in a tourist hotel. I’m almost certainly not going. I can take the financial hit but interested in others views.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But the younger generation are not at a great risk, so they aren't the ones, for now, that would infect other's, it's people from certain countries that are infecting other's, look at the recent Austrian man.
A younger person has decades and decades of life in front of them, the OP is concerned and a little anxious, my daughter is and she hasn't got diabetes.
They don’t suffer the ill feeling but they still catch Coronavirus apparently. Thus they spread it without feeling particularly ill themselves. So it could quite conceivably be the young that are spreading it unawares

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m 62, T1, previous viral pneumonia. Control currently not great, possibly due to recent cortisone injection. Would it be sensible for me to travel to Portugal , Algarve in a couple of days time ? It feels counter intuitive to put myself through airport , spend c3 hours on an aircraft followed by 5 days eating from a buffet in a tourist hotel. I’m almost certainly not going. I can take the financial hit but interested in others views.

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm 10 years younger than yourself. Spent 16 years in a metal bands & caught flights on a regular basis. Not to mention the sociable aspect of it too..
Lol, we've also been put up in some dodgy accommodation. It's all been fun & I don't like boxing my self in.

I'm not actually worried regarding myself.
But,
If I was still doing it now? I would be concerned regarding the current climate what I could be bringing back to certain vulnerable members of my family & a few of my neighbours too..

Glad these days i don't have to draught up a PR announcement & respond on social media..

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Not that I usually suggest The Sun as a reference:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ortugal-coronavirus-latest-travel-advice/amp/

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I have the “ sniffles” just about to go to the gym .....so I guess I am at risk , hmm have I got a mask ,, er no am I stock piling toilet rolls and pasta. Errr nooo , am I going to die yes eventually how am I going to die I don’t know , to coin an old phrase am I bovvered nope, think I’ll just carry on if I have it I’ll know soon enough anyways time for the gym

How will anyone know who it is who is giving it to them ! Some people are just carriers, even if we do what Italy are doing someone is going to break the curfew. Have they st

had sniffles for a week also so should I stay in or should I wear a full body suit with B/ A set or should I stay in permanently become a recluse and worry about everything that could happen or carry on hmm let me think about tHat for a millisecond
Ps that’s for the “well done “much appreciated I shall wear it like a badge glad I’m doing something right

There is no emoji for this.

There’s a world of difference between becoming a recluse and willfully allowing yourself to spread germs (Coronavirus or other).

This is why the government have to limit their advice to the bare minimum because people put their own self interest ahead of society.

John6468

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm 10 years younger than yourself. Spent 16 years in a metal bands & caught flights on a regular basis. Not to mention the sociable aspect of it too..
Lol, we've also been put up in some dodgy accommodation. It's all been fun & I don't like boxing my self in.

I'm not actually worried regarding myself.
But,
If I was still doing it now? I would be concerned regarding the current climate what I could be bringing back to certain vulnerable members of my family & a few of my neighbours too..

Glad these days i don't have to draught up a PR announcement & respond on social media..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's the thing, we don't know if we have it, until we have symptoms., so I will carry on as usual, until told otherwise.
Hi,

Unfortunately the "symptoms" initially are a little like every other lurgey & manflu going about.
Some do mask for a while with Sudafed. & "carry on.." Until specifically tested & "told" too late?
Then they need a good memory regarding who they came into contact with. ;)

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
There is no emoji for this.

There’s a world of difference between becoming a recluse and willfully allowing yourself to spread germs (Coronavirus or other).

This is why the government have to limit their advice to the bare minimum because people put their own self interest ahead of society.
Hmm wilfully spreading germs so every other year it’s fine for anyone to walk about coughing over everyone ! I have had sniffles a runny nose I am extremely high risk due to my other illnesses but guess you’ve decided I’ve got corona virus, I think you should stand in line nd prescribe everyone who passes you in the street oh sorry ull no be out you’ll be self isolating because you sneezed because of too much pepper if I was symptomatic I wouldn’t go out I’m not so I am , are you buying lots of pasta and toilet rolls too ,

Reactions: KK123

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
The F1 race in Melbourne very likely to be called off this morning. Colour me stupid but this is ridiculous

Reactions: Tophat1900

bzo14

Sup im 14 had type 1 for 7 years probably had a 7.1/2 aveage on my hba1c in my last two three years. Does this decrease my risk of death or is my death rate still at like 8 percent

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm wilfully spreading germs so every other year it’s fine for anyone to walk about coughing over everyone ! I have had sniffles a runny nose I am extremely high risk due to my other illnesses but guess you’ve decided I’ve got corona virus, I think you should stand in line nd prescribe everyone who passes you in the street oh sorry ull no be out you’ll be self isolating because you sneezed because of too much pepper if I was symptomatic I wouldn’t go out I’m not so I am , are you buying lots of pasta and toilet rolls too ,
No it’s true any year. It’s always driven me mad people spreading any bugs rather than be more considerate. And no I don’t eat carby stuff so I’m not stock piling pasta thanks:happy:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Step back from the keyboard buddy.. :)

I took a visit to Mumsnet after a rep from the site was on the news the other night.
There was a topic on training sniffer dogs to diagnose Coronavirus, cuz the can sniff drugs & cancer.?!?! o_Oo_O

How does one go about training these gifted hounds? I hear you ask, & by what means? How long would this take..

You can colour me stupid top @Mike D , I predict a new strain. "COVID K9" anyone..? ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sup im 14 had type 1 for 7 years probably had a 7.1/2 aveage on my hba1c in my last two three years. Does this decrease my risk of death or is my death rate still at like 8 percent

Hi @bzo14 ,

Welcome to the forum.

Where did you get your statistics from?

If you're 14 years old, that's at the bottom end of the likely risk of anything bad happening as a result of getting it.
Bit like the worst case of flu you ever had? :)

Even I'm not bovverd, & I remember da olden daze..

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
No it’s true any year. It’s always driven me mad people spreading any bugs rather than be more considerate. And no I don’t eat carby stuff so I’m not stock piling pasta thanks:happy:
Well glad to here it carbs that is ! I love em guess life in your bubble is fine for you , as my life is for me and the others around me I like you am considerate of others but I don’t over react to situations. As I’ve seen the panic it can cause , as I’ve always said mine is just an opinion
And as we know opinions are like ********* everyone’s got one but no one wants to hear it ,

edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator: