Coronavirus - How at risk am I?

anouser1

Hey all. I've just turned 20 and was diagnosed as T1 a month ago (with DKA at the time). My control is quite good at the moment (4-8 most of the time) and before diabetes, my immune system was very very good ( I can't remember the last time I had a flu (touchwood)). Will the fact my bs was very high not long ago have an effect? Do you reckon I'm at high risk?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well glad to here it carbs that is ! I love em guess life in your bubble is fine for you , as my life is for me and the others around me I like you am considerate of others but I don’t over react to situations. As I’ve seen the panic it can cause , as I’ve always said mine is just an opinion
And as we know opinions are like ********* everyone’s got one but no one wants to hear it ,
The carb eating difference would be down to the fact that you are type 1 and I am type 2 and insulin resistant

Whether, as you not so subtly imply, I am over reacting or you are overly complacent is yet to be seen for sure.

Perhaps your boasting that you will go about with your germs doing your thing in gyms regardless of its effects is what leads me to make my assumptions about your ***** opinions. Not sure where you got that I live in a bubble?

Edited by mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Juugzy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am 21 years old and am a Type 1. I’ve been a a type 1 since about 3 and never really had a bad flu or anything too bad like that. If I were to get the virus am I still at high risk of death? Do we know if there are any Diabetics that have beat it yet?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
They don’t suffer the ill feeling but they still catch Coronavirus apparently. Thus they spread it without feeling particularly ill themselves. So it could quite conceivably be the young that are spreading it unawares

It is a lot of if's, what's and maybe's.
The younger generation are not as much at risk as the older generations, also if a younger person did or does get infected, their chance of ICU, HDU or even death would be much less and their recovery would also be higher, unless of course they had a severe medical condition, ie heart, cancer, etc.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi I am 21 years old and am a Type 1. I’ve been a a type 1 since about 3 and never really had a bad flu or anything too bad like that. If I were to get the virus am I still at high risk of death? Do we know if there are any Diabetics that have beat it yet?

Hi, I too have never had flu, but in the last couple of years I had pneumonia and sepsis,I am in my early 60's too, but I am still going strong and living my life through this bad time, live for the moment and just enjoy your life.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A post has been removed from this thread for rudeness and offensive language.

If there are more posts like this they will also be deleted and the poster will be blocked from posting on the thread.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’ve just received a post telling me
A post has been removed from this thread for rudeness and offensive language.

If there are more posts like this they will also be deleted and the poster will be blocked from posting on the thread.

just woke up to receive post about this, firstly apologies to anyone and everyone my post caused offence to . This was definetly not my intention , this forum is of great help to many people myself included , and would hate to think that my actions / words would stop or affect people using this site , apologies once again

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s because they have mild or no symptoms and don't get tested. As your reference says they can still infect others.
"It has been shown asymptomatic patients in this phase can still pass the virus on to others.

Indeed.
There is growing evidence that the COVID-19 virus is actually more virulent during the incubation phase than after the symptoms have started to show.
https://www.theguardian.com/science...ead-by-people-yet-to-show-symptoms-scientists

In the Singapore cluster, between 45% and 84% of infections appeared to come from people incubating the virus. In China, the figures ranged from 65% to as much as 87%.

Although those stats must be affected by the speed with which people self isolate once the symptoms start.
But apparently the key thing is the rate at which the virus 'sheds' and leaves the body to pass to a new host. This is high before the symptoms appear, and then drops after about 8 days of symptoms (I spent quite a while last night reading various articles about this, so can't give a ref to that 8 day thing, since I was just following my nose).

This study is not yet fully published or peer reviewed, but still seems interesting
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.05.20030502v1

I certainly wouldn't assume that asymptomatic children are not passing COVID-19 on to those around them.

Last edited:
Reactions: AloeSvea

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
That’s because they have mild or no symptoms and don't get tested. As your reference says they can still infect others.
"It has been shown asymptomatic patients in this phase can still pass the virus on to others.
And of course now no one unless hospitalised will be getting tested as the government no longer deems it necessary or maybe economic.

As part of the new measures, testing will only focus on identifying people with the virus in hospital.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another observation I would make is that yes, we should all be responsible but within reason. There is only so much a person can do to help others avoid 'germs'. If a person has an underlying condition, or is vulnerable in some way then they should decide for themselves whether to go out to a do or to the shops or the gym or wherever. In the end there is no way the vast majority of the public will take on full responsibility for every not so well person in the Country. It sounds selfish but unfortunately it is true. I fully agree that we should be aware of hygiene and all the rest but I'm afraid that Joe Public don't give much of a thought for my type 1, only I do. So I practice personal strategies and when I go to the gym I don't expect someone with a sniffle to stay at home so that I can go on the treadmill but when I go to work I would expect others not to be there if they are ill. Balance and common sense.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi Henry.
Are you feeling more reassured?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Ushthetaff . I missed your post. A lot of us get posts removed and deleted. Speaking as a T1 I feel our condition and approach to life often puts us in a position where we say things others struggle with.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If you're 14 years old, that's at the bottom end of the likely risk of anything bad happening as a result of getting it.
Bit like the worst case of flu you ever had
A daughter of my daughter's friend who lives in London at this moment is in an isolation tent in a hospital she is fifteen and very scared and has tested positive for the virus.

As our esteemed PM said yesterday "people think that this is no worse than seasonal flu they are wrong it is much much worse"

Reactions: LucySW

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My understanding from the current statements by the government is that the UK has given up on containment so will be concentrating on delaying the virus so as to "squash the curve" so that the health system can cope (and hopefully move the peak to the summer when the NHS is least stretched.

For the virus to end naturally we need 50% to 80% of the population to get it.

Young people (under 20 very much so and under 30 mostly) are very very low risk, and if diabetes doubles your risk then you're still very very low risk. You'll probably get the virus and never know. Just don't visit your elderly grandma for a while.

The danger is age and comorbidities (diabetes + … high blood pressure, heart disease etc etc).

I am so glad that this virus is safer the younger you are, even though that means I personally am pretty vulnerable.

I currently live in NZ and there is a small chance that our current outbreak (5 + 2 possible) is contained, but even if this is in the long term it'll come back. But it would be good to delay the peak till our next summer (9 months) or (wild hope) a vaccine is available.

Stay safe and keep washing your hands, everyone. Social distancing will squash the curve, but no one realistically expects under 20s to do too much of this.... (and long term we want you to get it so that we can get the numbers up to make the vulnerable safe.)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A daughter of my daughter's friend who lives in London at this moment is in an isolation tent in a hospital she is fifteen and very scared and has tested positive for the virus.

As our esteemed PM said yesterday "people think that this is no worse than seasonal flu they are wrong it is much much worse"

Sorry to hear that John. Was she already admitted with a pre-existing condition?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Sorry to hear that John. Was she already admitted with a pre-existing condition?
No I do not believe so but will check with Melody.

BTW my wife works in the local hospital so far they have no covid 19 patients in fact it was put about on social media that they did and the hospital director had to go on Facebook to state that they didn't, but she informs me they now have isolation wards set up also as they have had so many patients ringing up to cancel appointments because they do not want to come into the hospital that the consultants in her department are going to start from Monday offering phone consultations and to reduce the number of new patients they are taking and spreading out or staggering the appointments in the clinics that are still running.

She is unsure as to how other departments are coping as the hospital administration is leaving it up to individual departments to decide for them selves the actions they wish to take.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
But the younger generation are not at a great risk, so they aren't the ones, for now, that would infect other's, it's people from certain countries that are infecting other's, look at the recent Austrian man.
A younger person has decades and decades of life in front of them, the OP is concerned and a little anxious, my daughter is and she hasn't got diabetes.
To the best of my knowledge, young people are just as likely to get infected as any other age grouo, just less likely to have more than mild symptoms.
Hence much more likely to infect others!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Well I’ve had sniffles a week no other symptoms no high temp so guess at this point in time I don’t have it, as it takes 7 days to show however next week I could have got it from someone who has it and so it goes on! In all seriousness , I just looked at figures in my area and there are 6 cases in an area population of about 306,000 .i do know this will raise sporting events are still going on. I am trying to keep myself healthy diet blood sugars etc EXCERCISE lol , until I am told OFFICIALLY I can’t go about my daily business then I will ,

That number of 6 is just those tested as +ve. The general WHO (and NHS) estimates are that there are between 10 and 20 times as many people actually infected at any one time than have been diagnosed. Even Boris' medical guy said 500 cases in UK means between 5,000 and 10,000 people infected at the time he spoke - probably twice as many now!
With so little (compare to Bahrain and S. Korea) testing being done plus the fact that due to mild symptoms, young people may never know that they have/had been infected. And now NHS walking away from testing those outside hospital, we may never know how many infected - and people talk about the Chinese and Iranian covering it up !