Coronovirus deaths & diabetes

diabetesknow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't heard that stat but it's quite a high %. On a positive note, I had a covid-19 antibody test about 2 weeks ago and came back positive for antibodies (42.8) - I had no symptoms in the last few months. Guess I had it at some point and my immune system produced the antibodies to kill it. Keep in mind, I have type 1 diabetes for over 25 years and use insulin pump therapy for my treatment. This proves that people with t1d can beat coronavirus.

MattH892

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have also just heard this on the news. Very worrying figures!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have also just heard this on the news. Very worrying figures!

Do remember though, it groups together all T1's, T2's T3's, any diabetics with other health conditions (which may have had a bigger effect on the person), any age, and any diabetic control so although it is a highish number the number doesn't really say anything that can properly quantified - '26% (of the 90% with health conditions) were diabetic' is too vague - though anything that was properly quantifiable may be too detailed for many and wouldn't make for such a stark headline.

Edit: also what percentage of people with medical conditions that are deemed more at risk have diabetes - that's something else that needs to be taken into consideration.

Reactions: Jamie H

Langday

I saw type 2 was more susceptible. Its frightened me. Do any of you have any other underlying illnesses? I've gone from insulin dependant to tablets.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you keep your eyes on Dr Partha Kar's twitter feed he reckons they can publish a breakdown of types/ages/co-morbidities for clarity in the near future, I've read a little about t2's and hyperglycemia (sp) needing insulin infusions, but t2 was a co-morbidity often found in old age alongside other illnesses.

Looking on the bright side we're over the peak!

Reactions: Robinredbreast

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Puts diabetes ahead of copd and kidney disease. Diabetes not shielded copd is
Probably because T2 in itself if well controlled is less problematic but when combined with multiple other metabolic conditions then it maybe becomes slightly more dangerous.
Still a small chance of death though.

Reactions: Jamie H

Russell52

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There is apparently some evidence now that good control increases chances of a good outcome. American research says 40% of patients with undiagnosed diabetes die. 29% of other diabetics. However obesity is also a risk factor and should be taken into account. Nevertheless it’s obviously possible to get a good outcome with diabetes as people on the forum have proved.

Max68

I have also been wondering about the impact of the Flu Jab. Underlying conditions qualify for the Flu Jab so does this Jab have a positive or negative effect re Covid?

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
I just saw this news too. "Over a quarter of Covid-19 patients that died had Diabetes".

I suspect a lot got the virus as they were not included in the 12 week shielding group and many were possibly forced into going to work.

Slaine2k

Hi ya all I saw this as well in the online news in two different places believe it was the sun and another newspaper funny thing is I have also just received the news yesterday that my blood test results have apparently come back and I’m t2 on 3 metformin and 2 glicazide a day as well as 1 tab for high cholesterol and my dr said I was a medium risk!!! but I’ve got to go for 2 more blood tests next week and another nurse appointment week after so like many I’m stuck thinking is it safe to go to work now especially since I’ll be on a bus for at least 2 hours a day to work maybe 7 on reduced hours

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I saw it on the news too.
DKA would and does kill us, not covid. But the complications of DKA has not been mentioned previously, it’s been swept under the carpet.
Can you imagine the additional strain to health care professionals having a type 1 on a ventilator?

Honeyend

I think you have to look at the context that most of the deaths are in people over 70 who are likely to have hypertension, and Type 2, and a lot are in care homes, so many will be frail to start off with.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...ending1may2020#deaths-registered-by-age-group
Someone suggested the total increased death rate was because we had a mild winter so people who would have normally died in a more severe winter have had their death caused by CV.
We know that the risks increase if you are in crowded situations, and before you go back to work I would want a risk assesment and to know what PPE they have.

AndyGW

I heard in a news report today that 26% of people who died of coronovirus were diabetic. That worries me. Has anyone else heard this?
No surprise there surely.
Detail of T1 vs T2 be helpful, which I hope they can eventually provide (even though not the same “headline”, “newsworthy” stat than announced today).

Tannith

BANNED
Puts diabetes ahead of copd and kidney disease. Diabetes not shielded copd is
1.2 million in the uk have diagnosed COPD. 3.9 million have diagnosed diabetes - more than 3 times as many. So I would expect that if 15% of the total deaths are in people with COPD, then there would be more than 3 times as many deaths with diabetes (3.25% to be exact) ie more than 45%, (48.75% to be exact) if diabetes were as serious a comorbidity . Yet diabetic death rate is only 26%. So diabetes is around half as dangerous as COPD from a covid point of view. Perhaps that is why diabetics aren't asked to shield unless they have something else as well.

Reactions: Rokaab

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ed-in-uk-hospitals-with-covid-19-had-diabetes

Scary figures, but you have to remember that among the very elderly, arguably the single largest at risk group, particularly those in care homes, the incidence of diabetes is very high (found a 2010 report saying 27% in care homes are diabetic?)

The incidence of diabetes in the US is mind boggling (10% diabetic another 25% prediabetic) so I'm not surprised that a high proportion of their COVID fatalities have diabetes.

There is apparently some evidence now that good control increases chances of a good outcome. American research says 40% of patients with undiagnosed diabetes die. 29% of other diabetics. However obesity is also a risk factor and should be taken into account. Nevertheless it’s obviously possible to get a good outcome with diabetes as people on the forum have proved.
Have you got a link for this? 29% of diabetics who catch COVID dying is a dramatically worse outcome than 29% of COVID deaths being diabetic.... (And would push their overall COVID death rate to 3 or 4% or more just on the bases of the prevalence of diabetes in their population...)

Jamie H

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ed-in-uk-hospitals-with-covid-19-had-diabetes

Scary figures, but you have to remember that among the very elderly, arguably the single largest at risk group, particularly those in care homes, the incidence of diabetes is very high (found a 2010 report saying 27% in care homes are diabetic?)

The incidence of diabetes in the US is mind boggling (10% diabetic another 25% prediabetic) so I'm not surprised that a high proportion of their COVID fatalities have diabetes.

Have you got a link for this? 29% of diabetics who catch COVID dying is a dramatically worse outcome than 29% of COVID deaths being diabetic.... (And would push their overall COVID death rate to 3 or 4% or more just on the bases of the prevalence of diabetes in their population...)
It's no different to the UK study. These are hospital admission figures not all of those diabetics that get the virus