1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cost of testing strips

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Prem51, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Screenshot 2019-03-09 at 07.29.56.png

@SaskiaKC asked how much people paid for testing strips in another thread. I thought it might help to open a specific thread about this.
    I used to use Accu Chek Mobile bg monitor. The test cassettes (50 tests) cost around £22-23, but could cost £14.83 (Boots) to £29.45 (Lloyds Pharmacy).
    Now I use the TEE2+. 50 test strips cost £7.75 from the manufacturer, but can cost up to £12 from pharmacies.

What do you pay for 50 test strips?

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I use an Accu Chek mobile exclusively. The replacement test cartridges are around £25 retail for 50 strips. I now unashamedly buy them on eBay for around £13 for 50.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

My Abbott Freestyle Lite strips and my Accu-Chek Performa strips cost $60.00 over the counter. The new Contour Next One strips are around the same price, but I do not like the meter as it is reading way higher than the other two meters readings I trust.

As I am a member of the NDSS and hold a PBS concession card, I get the strips for $1.20 for a 100 strip box.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

nice idea @Prem51

codefree..50 strips for £7.69 (uk) direct from home health...discount code also available

• Like Like x 2
  5. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just wondering if you know the most cost effective strips in Australia for a pre-diabetic? A friend has just been told she's pre-diabetic so I assume she can't join the NDSS??? $60 for a box of 50 seems very expensive.

I now live in NZ and a box of 50 is approximately NZ$20, but I rarely need to buy them as my doctor is happy to prescribe the 50 a week that I use. Mind you, I hate the meter that all NZ diabetics use, but the strips are cheap.

6. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

As I said in my earlier post that they are around $60.00 from my pharmacy. The discount chemists are probably cheaper but I have not gone in and checked as they are mostly in the middle of town, which I steer clear of as it's hard to get a carpark space.

As for joining the NDSS it does not actually say anything about pre diabetics.

Getting the GP to sign off on it may be a problem though.

https://static.diabetesaustralia.co...alia/f973794b-69d8-4cca-b9c5-23b55cde2f62.pdf
    https://static.diabetesaustralia.co...alia/14bee3f6-6933-45bc-8853-c7ef030586d2.pdf

7. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Agreed, though it may not do any harm to ask. I suspect she may be better off just buying them from ebay ! (Looks like $30 per hundred is about the going rate for freestyle lite). Is your $60 for 100 strips, or 50?

8. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

It's for 100 strips.

• Like Like x 1
  9. alphabeta

alphabeta Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Accu Chek Performa/Guide 38000LBP (25.33USD) per 50 strips (In Lebanon)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I used to use the Code Free which I believe are the cheapest strips you can get in the U.K. But personally I started finding them to be less and less accurate. I was getting more and more unexpected results so felt the need to retest a lot of the time, hence negating any saving over more expensive strips. I currently use the Caresens Dual from Spirit Health which claim accuracy of 99.6%. Since swapping I haven’t felt the need to double check a reading at all. The strips are £9.95 for 50 (with the VAT deducted). Spirit also do the Tee2 which are a bit cheaper and advertise 99% accuracy.

Edit typo

• Like Like x 1
    #10 Rachox, Mar 16, 2019 at 10:13 AM
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 10:45 AM
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook