Could Diabetic Medication Reduce Hypos?

daisy3174

Hi there all, been on this forum since for a little while, but now I have diagnosis.Its been a long journey and in one way, the Type 2 diagnosis was welcomed as I now know what has caused so many horrible symptoms.I was told on Wednesday that I did not have diabetes as my HBa1c was normal range, but I had 2 high fasting and a random of 8.9mmol.So doctor said that to go for tests for Insulinoma, Addisons etc because of frequent Hypos.He phoned me the next morning to say, I am sorry you do have diabetes but its not straightforward because I am also having many lows ( hence the normal HB1AC perhaps?) and they dont know what to do.Would diabetes medication stop these lows? My thinking is if it stops the high readings (my range is 2.7mmol to 14.8mmol), then it would stop the crashes but I am not sure.I am having hypos daily, the more often I eat the more often I have them and I am just drained with them.I dont believe that lfestyle changes will work for me as I am already low carb (always have been, not keen on bread, chips etc) and I run 2-3 miles 5 nights a week, plus other exercise, I do smoke around 10 a day.Any advice would be very welcome x

Grazer

Not an expert, but don't think medication would stop hypos. Think they're more down to low carb and hard exercise. I get that to a lesser degree with golf. Think you need some low GI carbs in you before you exercise. That will stop the hypos, and medication can then stop the highs. Try it?

daisy3174

Hi there I am not on any yet, as the doctor wants me too see the nurse and discuss things as he thinks that medication may make hypos worse x

Grazer

daisy3174 said:
Hi there I am not on any yet, as the doctor wants me too see the nurse and discuss things as he thinks that medication may make hypos worse x

He's right, on diet only you can't get dangerous hypos like someone on Insulin or strong sugar lowering meds, you CAN get low sugar with related symptoms after exercise without sufficient food like any other non-diabetic. My non-diabetic daughter gets these after working hard in the field (she's a biologist) if she doesn't eat enough. If you can control on diet only fine, but ultra-low with hard work-outs will give you lows (not hypos) that can be worse if you go on certain meds. Metformin is normally OK, it doesn't lower BG enough to induce hypos. As I mentioned before, make sure you have some slow-release (low GI) carbs before strenuous exercise.

daisy3174

Hi Grazer, well I am not sure I am a textbook case ( as the doctor kindly put it).My sugar actually rises by about 5 mmol after exercise regardless of if I eat or dont eat beforehand.Also I have lows of 2.7mmol, which I suppose could be reduced to dangerous levels with medication. Also the more often I eat, the more often I have Hypos(under 4mmol), its a viscious circle, just want rid of the Hypos and I will be fine as I feel great when my sugar is higher (strange but true lol) x

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Have you looked at "reactive glycemia"

daisy3174

Hi there, yes I have looked at this (and mentioned it to my doc who knows nothing about it), the difference is that my blood sugar will go up to between 12 and 14mmol about an hour after food, I have not seen any info that people with Reactive Hypoglycemia rise this high x

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
One article I read, (but can't find again) suggested your body didn't react to the insulin quickly, so you keep pumping out more as your BG rises.Then the excess eventually wipes all the sugar out, so you undershoot, but then you try to compensate by releasing glucose from your stores, and start the cycle again.

Despite it sounding wrong, it may be worth thinking about asking your doctor if it's worth reducing your carb intake, and trying to stop the highs in the first place, and then seeing if you don't overshoot and get the lows.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Take a serious look at the foods you eat...

They can seriiusky cobtribute to hi's n lo's....
I think personally that with finding foods to avoid the spikes in either direction would be good...try a block of morning or afternoon or evening with no carb food...
Introduce varied low carb foods......

Monitor, keep a good food diary for a few days.. Include activitys etc... Then report back...

Find for yrself what is causing the spikes....
Give us ur findings n thoughts...