1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

could intermittent fasting be the solution

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by coleyd, Feb 27, 2017.

1. coleyd

coleyd Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello

I was wondering if intermittent fasting is helping anyone keep bs under control, so say not eating until noon ?

• Like Like x 1
  2. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

• Like Like x 1
  3. coleyd

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lil'Edgy

Lil'Edgy Type 2 · Member

Yes it can but there is a problem with only fasting till noon because autophagy doesn't kick in until about 16 hours or so after you last ate. Autophagy has a myriad of benefits in addition to losing weight and the best variety for myself is two 36 non consecutive fasts with no more than 100 calories or less if I'm able. Sunday and Wednesday work best. I've heard of the term blood sugars rocketing upward but mine rockets downward the morning after a fast and even look forward to seeing my fasting blood blood sugars in the low 70's range and not in the 1teens range.

• Like Like x 3
  5. coleyd

what is autophagy? and if i last eat at 8pm then that would be ok i guess?

6. Art Of Flowers

Art Of Flowers I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There is some useful info on dietdoctor.com about fasting. See https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting

• Like Like x 1
  7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Yes I fast every day from dinner the night before until lunch at the earliest and sometimes only eat once a day.. occasionally fast for longer.
    in answer to your question probably not the "solution" but certainly a hugely useful tool in the amoury

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

I believe fasting can be a useful tool in the fight against the condition as part of getting control and keeping your blood glucose levels at or near normal levels as possible!
    With my condition and experience, the fast can solve problems of overeating and worrying over planning, shopping and preparation.
    Some diabetics shouldn't fast, but those that can should in my opinion.
    We have to eat, but we don't need to eat as much as we do, our meals portion size are far too big on average!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. coleyd

Yeah see I've been not eating as frequently as in was since I've been diagnosed and realise how much I was overeating before with no need

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

I also find fasting useful (and helpful). I learned more about it by reading Dr Jason Fung' s blog and watching hid lectures on YouTube.

11. jonbvn

jonbvn Type 2 · Well-Known Member

IF has helped me to kick start a drop in BG levels and bodyweight. I also do LCHF, so it is not possible for me to determine which is the most effective. However I notice my FBG after a fasting day is significantly lower.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

Yes, same here. I am also on low carb (with moderate fat) way of eating when I'm not fasting.

13. coleyd

Thanks everyone. I guess I often do at least 12 hour fasts then as I usually don't eat after dinner time anymore

• Like Like x 1
  14. sarah_chadwick

sarah_chadwick Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have been doing the 5:2 diet since the new year, I find it easy to manage and contrary to popular belief, you don't 'pig out' on your normal eating days (well I don't) have lost a pound in weight each week so I am very happy with this, I look forward to finding out if my Hb levels have dropped at my next check up :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. berylc

berylc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@sarah_chadwick 5:2 is that 5 days eating and 2 fasting, or the other way around? Is it better to fast 2 days in a row, or with eating days inbetween? If I had breakfast at say 06.15 before starting work at 07.00 and then only water until 19.00 would that be ok for fasting? I don't know if I could go for 24 hrs without any food, not at the start anyway. Would I have say a cooked breakfast (egg, bacon, mushrooms and fried tomatoes or scrambled egg with 1/2 avocado) then for tea 12 hrs later something like spiralized carrot, asstd veg (above ground) and chicken breast stir fry. Advice from you and other fasting folk would be a great help.

16. Art Of Flowers

Art Of Flowers I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There is a description of a 5:2 diet at https://thebloodsugardiet.com/the-bsd-options/

17. bulkbiker

You would be better off at the start eating in a reduced window.. i.e. skipping either breakfast or dinner and eating between say midday and 8 p.m. or when you get up to 2 pm and then not eating. That is what is meant by intermittent fasting. It extends the time your body is not processing food and producing insulin to cope with what you have eaten. I skipped breakfast from my diagnosis day and now rarely eat before noon and usually later than that. Sometimes I only eat one meal a day and also fast for extended periods but to start with try cutting down on your window of eating time. Have coffee and tea or water but no food.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. berylc

Thanks for the advice @bulkbiker I will miss out lunch and have something later on, then tomorrow morning I will miss breakfast, I can do that easily. I think I could go until tea time too, I do that sometimes if I'm busy at home, but never thought of it as intermittent fasting! When I'm on a late shift at work 2pm to 10pm what would you suggest I do then? I normally take a salad with me, so I suppose if I miss breakfast and lunch I can eat at about 5pm or 5.30pm depending upon my meal break time.

19. bulkbiker

To be honest its best to fit into whatever schedule suits you. It also can be for some people that varying their eating times can also help.. stops the body getting complacent.. I just gave up breakfast completely because I never especially enjoyed it and prefer my eggs and bacon for lunch! Also most people's idea of a "healthy" breakfast contains more carbs than I would eat in a whole day...so it was an easy win for me..

20. berylc

Well I've had nothing today since my breakfast at 9am - 6 rashers of pancetta (just like streaky bacon), 50g fried mushrooms, 40g fried tomatoes and 2 large fried eggs. Plus 1/2 lidl roll toasted with butter on. My readings this afternoon after aqua zumba were 6.4
    I was starting to get hungry at 5.30pm so had a small cup of real coffee with some double cream.
    Reading before tea at 7.15pm 6.8
    Tea was: Roast chicken (the thick bit at the top of the leg - thigh?), lots of veg sugar snap peas, spinach, asparagus and one sweet long red pepper roasted, no gravy.
    Will try to fast now until tomorrow lunch or teatime?

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook