could intermittent fasting be the solution

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@sarah_chadwick 5:2 is that 5 days eating and 2 fasting, or the other way around? Is it better to fast 2 days in a row, or with eating days inbetween? If I had breakfast at say 06.15 before starting work at 07.00 and then only water until 19.00 would that be ok for fasting? I don't know if I could go for 24 hrs without any food, not at the start anyway. Would I have say a cooked breakfast (egg, bacon, mushrooms and fried tomatoes or scrambled egg with 1/2 avocado) then for tea 12 hrs later something like spiralized carrot, asstd veg (above ground) and chicken breast stir fry. Advice from you and other fasting folk would be a great help.
I usually eat breakfast around 7.30am, lunch (if I'm hungry) around 1pm, then evening meal (again if I'm hungry) around 5.30pm, I don't eat after that time, but that is the same all week (except weekends), fasting on non-consecutive days, Monday and Wednesday suit me after the weekend.

Reactions: berylc

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I read in an old diary that I used to fast every Monday, something else to add to my belief that I have been diabetic for a long time but coping with it by the way I ate and another effect of the dratted tablets.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
You've been a bit quiet on your fasting progress .. How's it all going?
Hi @bulkbiker I'm still on my travels around England and back to Scotland. My diet has been very fairly good these past 3 days, apart from the wedding sweet potato flan and the 3 tiny puddings, but as from tomorrow I'm in control again. An ear ache/toothache for 2 days didn't help as I was having to eat every 2 hrs with pain relief medication. But it seems to be under control now. But I'm making an appointment with the dentist asap just to make sure it wasn't tooth related.
Today I had a bacon and mushroom panini for lunch, without the panini, it took some explaining to the waitress. Then travelling from Lincoln to Glasgow we snacked on M&S crispy smoked bacon and king prawns, so not too bad. But when we arrived in Glasgow my son got a take-away pizza as after 6 hrs of travelling none of us wanted to cook. But I now feel sick, must be all those carbs I'm not used to.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @bulkbiker I'm still on my travels around England and back to Scotland. My diet has been very fairly good these past 3 days, apart from the wedding sweet potato flan and the 3 tiny puddings, but as from tomorrow I'm in control again. An ear ache/toothache for 2 days didn't help as I was having to eat every 2 hrs with pain relief medication. But it seems to be under control now. But I'm making an appointment with the dentist asap just to make sure it wasn't tooth related.
Today I had a bacon and mushroom panini for lunch, without the panini, it took some explaining to the waitress. Then travelling from Lincoln to Glasgow we snacked on M&S crispy smoked bacon and king prawns, so not too bad. But when we arrived in Glasgow my son got a take-away pizza as after 6 hrs of travelling none of us wanted to cook. But I now feel sick, must be all those carbs I'm not used to.
topping only if you have pizza.. but you know that already...keep up the good work..

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
topping only if you have pizza.. but you know that already...keep up the good work..
I should have said that the 6 days before we went into England I was eating very well and walked lots and everywhere, but then the drive to Suffolk, Essex and then Lincoln meant not much exercise at all and lots of sitting in a car or hairdressers! But tomorrow we head to Speyside and collect our dog's, so will go walking then, before heading back to Orkney on Tuesday.

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to eat breakfast on my non-fasting days, since I was off school for Easter holidays however, I tended not to bother, just having a cuppa and then waiting until lunchtime to eat, since coming back to school I tried breakfast at the usual time and found that I didn't feel hungry at all and so I left it, not eaten breakfast since, so intermittent fasting for me is from 7pm - 1pm plus 2 days of only a 500 calories...this might have helped to ramp up my loss since I hit a plateau and so will continue this way for a while. x