1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by Bill_St, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Debandez

Debandez Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Not me, I just shared a lady's experience with the virus

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Debandez

And at mine. My special needs BIL has had his diabetic review cancelled!

3. Debandez

I find the small shops have lots of stock, superstores not so lucky!

4. Debandez

Plenty here in Blackpool!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jo_the_boat

Jo_the_boat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There's a post early on about ventillators.
    HERE'S A GOOD STORY from Italy. Human ingenuity.
    Link is to BBC in the UK

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I don’t think this is a good time (if there is ever a good time) to be using NHS resources if you are asymptomatic. The service is already creaking at the seams.

@4mum_ A reasonable employer - especially after yesterday’s announcements - should be willing to take account of the concerns and personal circumstances of staff. It is never a good move to raise any questions in an employer’s mind as to your integrity.

Edited to correct typo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #886 Goonergal, Mar 17, 2020 at 5:03 AM
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  7. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

AWESOME!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I suppose this is as good a place as any to post this for the benefit of those who may be interested in his work/ramblings. Paul Saladino's latest podcast is all about coronavirus. I haven't listened to all of it yet, but as far as I can tell so far, it's a deep technical dive into the virus, and isn't anything to do with the carnivore diet.

Web;
    https://carnivoremd.com/carnivoremd...create-the-healthiest-immune-system-possible/

Apple;
    https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...sodeGuid=dd39f6aa-d42f-448c-81a7-264afb354d91

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I have two hospital appointments this month, 25th and 31st. One for eye laser treatment, the other at the pain clinic, not heard if they are to be cancelled,

• Hug Hug x 2
  10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

This page on the Government website lists various categories of people at increased risk of severe illness:- https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

• Like Like x 2
  11. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

12. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

So stay at least 2 metres away from others

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

I'd not be fancying eye lasering from someone adding 2 mtrs to the distance between.

I know that's totally flippant, and I apologise.

My OH's daughter is on sick leave at the moment, having had a carpal tunnel op on one hand, and was planned to have the other done, as the first healed. This has not been cancelled.

At her hospital (where she is a patient and staff member) all elective surgery, except urgent and cancer cases has been cancelled until further notice.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Hospital admin can be painfully slow at the best of times. My son and I have both received appointments after the date of the appointment...so of course we were marked as non attenders grrr. I would guess the non urgent cases will be cancelled eventually.

15. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Just had a fab series of texts from our vets, listing, in 4 successive steps, how they intend to protect their staff, and keep the place open and helping animals throughout the COVID-19 distancing.

It is a brilliantly well thought out plan involving phone consults, either from home or the carpark, no human customers inside the building, staff fetching the animals from the car, to take into the consulting rooms, if necessary, all payments to be via the phone, and so on.

Very impressed.
    First stage is being implemented from 8am tomorrow morning.

I am astonished at the difference between companies and employers... This vets is so on the ball, whereas my employer is still vaguely incommunicado and the impression is that they are just kind of hoping it will all go away. Needless to say, I have no intention of letting my employer place myself or anyone else at risk, but it would be nice if they had sent out an email on the subject in the last 5 days...

• Like Like x 4
  16. LucySW

LucySW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes. Can't locate sources now, but from med papers I've read, the issue is that high blood glucose, and a lot of glycation already in our blood cells*, facilitates infection and delays recovery, both for bacterial infections and also for viruses. This will be a factor at every stage, also in making it more or less likely that we become seriously ill. So keeping BG to our personal best is really important.

* As reflected in the HbA1c. The lower, the better. So important to aim at our personal best.

As/when I find links, I'll post them.

Lucy

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tedrick69

Tedrick69 Type 2 · Member

For those of us who have hypertension and are taking medication such as Lisiniprol, then that drug - which is an ACE inhibitor - can cause severe illness and death.

18. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

What evidence of this, please?

19. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

That's logical I suppose as I had to give up my ACE inhibitor years ago as it gave me a dry cough. Thanks for the info.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tedrick69

Tedrick69 Type 2 · Member

I have a link from Lancet but the forum won't let me put it up yet in case I'm a spammer!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook