1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by Bill_St, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

The problem is, 'being asked to do it' doesn't mean my emplouer will pay me if I suggest I self isolate, without actually being told it is a must to do so !

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tedrick69

Tedrick69 Type 2 · Member

This, from Newsmax. Note how the Europeans are saying we must keep.taking them.
    Who to believe? What advice to take?
    The Chinese have rendered this important enough to report and study it - three times.

3. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Taking what Tedrick69 ?

4. Tedrick69

Tedrick69 Type 2 · Member

5. Winnie53

Winnie53 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My husband and friend take these types of medications. My initial search turned up this last night.

In this video, pulmonologist Roger Seheult, MD discusses the hypothesis discussed in the Lancet Respir Med article published in the Correspondence section online 3-11-20...

Coronavirus Pandemic Update 37: The ACE-2 Receptor - The Doorway to COVID-19 (ACE Inhibitors & ARBs)

Also mentioned is an alternative medication. Not sure what my husband is going to do. He'll likely look into it today. He's been on this medication for years.

The doctor's conclusion: It's a hypothesis. Not sufficient evidence. Further study needed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LucySW

LucySW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks. I think that’s right, BTW. It is a hypothesis. It needs exploring, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

8. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

thank you for this, Tedrick69, and thanks for the further clarification from Brunneria and Bill_St

• Like Like x 2
  9. Carysmith1990

Carysmith1990 · Newbie

I’m unsure as to whether I should be self-isolating if I don’t have any symptoms. I work in a large shared workshop (I’m a carpenter) and have been told that anyone with pre-existing medical conditions should stop coming in.
    Being self-employed I can see that this could go on for a long time and I could just be indoors for months, even without catching the virus.
    I can only find advice for diabetics who are displaying symptoms, but what if I’m not?

10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

If you mean eye laser for diabetic retinopathy, personally, I would try to attend that (taking all hygiene precautions possible).

• Like Like x 2
  11. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

At present the advice for diabetics seems to be work from home IF you can. I can't so I am coming in!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Read the article..?

14. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Yes....maybe this and maybe that... Maybe the article is bunkum. Who knows. If I get through this next 2 weeks unscathed then I will remain at home for the foreseeable future...still self isolating from hubby. I am really scared that it's already too late for me.

• Hug Hug x 2
  15. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

An interesting read. Thanks for sharing. I'm not really sure how I feel about the whole thing. I certainly don't think it's a common cold as some might suggest, but the wise old man in me has been somewhat cynical about it from the start. I can't help but feel there's an element of hyperbole being driven by the social media machine, click-hungry news outlets, and governments eager to please and escape criticism.

Let's be honest, it wouldn't be the first time that bold governmental policies were put in place off the back of insufficient or tenuous evidence. Obviously this is just a feeling, and it's not my place to downplay anyone else's fears. This article probably won't change anyone's opinion but, in my view, it's certainly a refreshing balance against the zombie apocalypse, doomsday panic that's currently circulating through society.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    #935 Jim Lahey, Mar 17, 2020 at 7:10 PM
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  16. Struma

Struma Type 2 · Well-Known Member

For fever reduction you need an antipyretic!

17. Po girl

Po girl Type 1 · Member

I still feel there is no clear information for me by the government or on this site ??
    I work full time at social services frontline teAm who have to assess vulnerable people in their homes.
    Boris said people with underlying conditions under 70 should try and avoid social interaction and travel etc bug what about work if you can’t work from home - what FD poems then and what should I be doing??
    I’m 62yrs if age and have had T1 for 46 yrs - quite good control so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. copilost

copilost Type 2 · Well-Known Member

the next two weeks are critical. the problem is the health infrastructure can't cope (see Italy) if we can slow/halt infections we can manage health care. so if you can for yourself (and others) not get sick in the next two weeks it will be helpful (transformational)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

From tomorrow onwards I will be shaking with fear when the phone rings..hoping not to hear that the lady I was with yesterday now has symptoms which would mean she caught the virus from someone on Friday... I don't have words to express how scared I am. It's going to be a long 2 weeks...then a long 10 weeks...at least I hope so because it will mean I am still alive.

All these reports that 'not that many will die' don't mean a thing if you or a loved one is one of them. 200 or 2 million...if you are in that number it's everything that matters taken from you. Devastating. These people who say it won't be that bad are banking on it not happening to them.

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As an increased temperature is part of the body's defence mechanism should we be reducing fever anyway? I don't know.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook