COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I understood what we're up against with the COVID-19 pandemic, and now I'm not so sure...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It now appears that the coronavirus was in France as early as December.
The patient in question was admitted with pneumonia on 27th December. Samples have now been tested confirming C-19.
So presumably he must have picked it up some time before that for it to have progressed to pneumonia by that date.
His two children also had the characteristic symptoms, but his wife, who works in a supermarket near Charles de Gaulle airport, showed no symptoms. The supermarket is regularly frequented by people shopping on their way home from the airport.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52526554

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I thought I understood what we're up against with the COVID-19 pandemic, and now I'm not so sure...
Interesting. Post 'war' we will be given narratives to justify whatever our governments did or didn't do. Until we can know both the numerator/fatality and denominator/infection rates we can't know how fatal this is and therefore how proportionate are very draconian reaction has been.
It seems that the WHO and Neil Ferguson's worst case estimates were very pessimistic and there are plenty of virologists and epidimilogists that agree with this view based on the recent anti body studies that show just how many people have been exposed and how long the infection has been around prior to the known first cases e.g. much earlier than any containment or lock down tactics were deployed e.g. Parisian airport worker.
There has been excess death compared to the 5 year average but a large part of that hasn't been due to CoVid 19, something which the mainstream media is not talking about.
However what matters now is how we can get back to productive work given the fear and lack of confidence that even young and healthy people feel. W\e should all ask why our children can't go back to school or why healthy people can't get on with their jobs and not be dependent of the state.
Also liking the question about how we can improve the metabolic health of our population such that less people are vulnerable where they do not need to be.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
NicoleC1971, the more i learn the more I've come to realize that who becomes severely ill has more to do with population density, air pollution, the nutritionally poor processed food diet, lack of physical exercise, and perhaps lack of adequate sun exposure.

Equally worrying for me is the rush to produce a vaccine with inadequate safety testing.

I feel like we're failing to see and address the real problems.

I've spent weeks listening to doctors discuss treating COVID-19. I have no doubt that it's a real and will continue to be a problem for one to two more flu seasons.

At the same time, the doctors are getting better at treating it. More people who were severely ill are surviving now. But I continue to question why discussion in the mainstream media is limited only to pharmaceutical interventions. That's a huge red flag for me.

That and the censorship that began rolling out a year ago on social media.

Not sure what to do right now other than to continue the practice of hand washing, wearing a mask when around people outside of our home, being proactive in every choice I make daily regarding my personal health, and continuing to monitor information from as many sources as possible. The truth of what's happening will eventually rise to the surface.

Reactions: jjraak and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This 30 minute interview with a German virologist is well worth a watch. Well balanced and neither interviewer or scientist comes across as having a particular axe to grind.

Reactions: 84green

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This 30 minute interview with a German virologist is well worth a watch. Well balanced and neither interviewer or scientist comes across as having a particular axe to grind.

Fascinating.. thanks for that.

Jamie H

Issue here, as highlighted in other threads, is that it does not look at pre-admission control of BG levels. Can make some assumptions that having good control as a base will help with control once admitted but nothing definitive.

Also would like to know if diabetes itself makes you more prone to a severe form of the virus or is it once you have a severe form to begin with is that when diabetes and BG control becomes the risk factor... Or both?

Also how does age effect risk factors generally?

Still a lot of unanswered questions around trying to formulate risk.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anybody seen any analysis on the numbers of people, and the circumstances they are in, who are still catching this virus?
I would have thought this info would be vitally important in informing the reduction of lockdown in the UK, but I have seen nothing but articles numbercrunching the same basic stats and speculating. No sign of evidential decision making at all. Maybe that will come later (she says, hopefully)

What I mean is,
- are the new cases that we are seeing on a daily basis (4-6,000 a day) mainly individuals who fall into specific groups - those in care homes? or amongst those who are supermarket shopping? or health care workers? or are they people required to work outside the home? or those using public transport? Factory workers? Those whose work prevents social distancing? Are they keyworkers whose children are still attending school? (this is all speculation, of course, since I haven't seen any figs or analysis on this)

Whatever the figures are on these groups if there are obvious signs that one pattern of behaviour is leading to more infections, then that could be focused during the unLocking (as an example, maybe supermarkets are hotbeds of virus swapping, whereas public transport travellers aren't catching it, or vice versa, and so on for every other group).

Around here, the parks and roads are getting busier and busier, but people seem to be mostly complying with social distancing when on the street and in the park, and on the beach. Where the social distancing is failing massively, is in shops, though since I am not shopping more than once a week, my observation is very limited. Oh, and judging by the occasional singing drunk passing the house at 1am, there are still Lockins happening somewhere.

And of course, there are some people who are taking no notice. Yesterday, 3 people in their 80s stood on the pavement in front of my house in a clump for about half an hour, chatting about how long it was since they had seen each other. Maybe 2 feet between them, not 2 metres.

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anybody seen any analysis on the numbers of people, and the circumstances they are in, who are still catching this virus?
I would have thought this info would be vitally important in informing the reduction of lockdown in the UK, but I have seen nothing but articles numbercrunching the same basic stats and speculating. No sign of evidential decision making at all. Maybe that will come later (she says, hopefully)

What I mean is,
- are the new cases that we are seeing on a daily basis (4-6,000 a day) mainly individuals who fall into specific groups - those in care homes? or amongst those who are supermarket shopping? or health care workers? or are they people required to work outside the home? or those using public transport? Factory workers? Those whose work prevents social distancing? Are they keyworkers whose children are still attending school? (this is all speculation, of course, since I haven't seen any figs or analysis on this)

Whatever the figures are on these groups if there are obvious signs that one pattern of behaviour is leading to more infections, then that could be focused during the unLocking (as an example, maybe supermarkets are hotbeds of virus swapping, whereas public transport travellers aren't catching it, or vice versa, and so on for every other group).

Around here, the parks and roads are getting busier and busier, but people seem to be mostly complying with social distancing when on the street and in the park, and on the beach. Where the social distancing is failing massively, is in shops, though since I am not shopping more than once a week, my observation is very limited. Oh, and judging by the occasional singing drunk passing the house at 1am, there are still Lockins happening somewhere.

And of course, there are some people who are taking no notice. Yesterday, 3 people in their 80s stood on the pavement in front of my house in a clump for about half an hour, chatting about how long it was since they had seen each other. Maybe 2 feet between them, not 2 metres.
Agreed the figures would be useful but how would they be collected? Also the various categories are not exclusive so you could have a factory worker who shops in a supermarket, travels by public transport and has children at school for example.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agreed the figures would be useful but how would they be collected? Also the various categories are not exclusive so you could have a factory worker who shops in a supermarket, travels by public transport and has children at school for example.

Yes, it would be a nightmare piece of work to set up.
Presumably a fairly small number of participants, with a rather detailed questionnaire on lifestyle - which would be open to all the usual bias and misinformation. Very, very difficult to get it done well.

But then, this new contact tracing app would do a lot of the work, I suppose.
Pity that won't be coming into use in the UK until well after the UnLocking is supposed to start.

And (while I am still rambling vaguely), it may well be a deliberate policy to maintain the number of cases rolling through the healthcare system at current levels. The virus can't be stopped, and it is a waste of time trying, so they probably don't want to reduce the infection rate too far - just keep it ticking over at a manageable rate.

Well, 'manageable' for the ones who don't die from it, of course. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill_St and zand

Jamie H

Haven't read this yet but looks very interesting and pertinent to this thread

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.06.20092999v1.full.pdf
Gave it a quick read and it says HR for diabetics well controlled is 1.5 in its own right. Be interesting to know if this is 1.5 of the assumed CFR of around 1% or it would be cross referenced to other parameters. Eg is it 1.5 of 0.1% for those aged 18-40? Also worth while to take into consideration how HR is calculated if there is more than one comorbidity.

Of course I could be completely misunderstanding this as I'm not an expert on such studies!!

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunneria, I appreciate all the questions you're asking. It's something we all need to be doing on an ongoing basis now that we're beginning to get past the shock of it all.

Learning how to live and work in the presence of the virus for the next two years.

For me, it's been an adapt as you go process. My girlfriend mentioned how uneasy she was using public transportation. It wasn't until I read an article discussing how the virus is spread that way that I finally got what a threat it really is. I now drive her to stores and doctor appointments. Since that time, the transportation authority placed limits on how many people can ride on the buses. It's clearly marked near the bus door. The new challenge for bus riders is being stranded, having difficulty getting home.

Social isolation of our seniors is a huge problem, particularly if not able to walk more than short distances, which is my friend's mom's situation. I'm still thinking how I can support her. Now that we all have masks, more is possible.

I'm fortunate that our department began taking proactive steps to protect us early. And we're continuing to add additional strategies weekly, particularly now that we're no longer on skeleton crew and are fully staffed again. So far so good. Will try to list what we've done over the next couple of days.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gave it a quick read and it says HR for diabetics well controlled is 1.5 in its own right. Be interesting to know if this is 1.5 of the assumed CFR of around 1% or it would be cross referenced to other parameters. Eg is it 1.5 of 0.1% for those aged 18-40? Also worth while to take into consideration how HR is calculated if there is more than one comorbidity.

Of course I could be completely misunderstanding this as I'm not an expert on such studies!!

This study was posted hete a few days ago. What the study found is more clear by going to the article and reading the relevant sections. I found it both encouraging and motivating. Glad to see it mentioned here again.

[Edited to add]: Apologies, I failed to note which of the two studies posted today you were referring to. Am reading parts of the study bulkbiker posted now on my computer and am not understanding it.

Last edited:

Jamie H

This study was posted hete a few days ago. What the study found is more clear by going to the article and reading the relevant sections. I found it both encouraging and motivating. Glad to see it mentioned here again.
Yea I'm encouraged by it too however still not sure how to figure out how HR for diabetes works in conjunction with another HR say age or other factors.

As per my previous example if the HR is 1.5 is this 1.5 x 0.1 (age range 18-40)?

As I said not well versed in interpreting these studies so any direction would be good