Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

JRT

to KK123. As I understand it the children of key workers have been at school all along. There are few enough of them that they can be taught in small safe socially distanced groups. I am concerned for the poor teachers being "sent to the slaughter" in large comprehensives where they move every 40 minutes to another different group of 30 teenagers. I think what you say about kids having to be supervised at home is the main reason why Boris wants them back at school ie the parents can't go back to work while they are supervising kids. I have read that up to 68% of people work from home and though this seems to me a high number, many articles say 38%. They aren't all parents, but nevertheless WFH enables a large proportion of parents to take responsibility for their own children. It is not just the teachers who will suffer if kids go back to school. They will infect their peers and then their parents and then their grandparents. We could easily be in a second wave in a couple of months if schools reopen.
As to remortgaging, obviously it would only be an option for a few people, but at least more of the older teachers who tend to be more vulnerable will be closer to paying off their mortgages. If it was a way out of teaching for only one older,vulnerable teacher it would be worth trying.
I think it will take a lot of persuading for people to return to big city centres for work.
Certainly if this goes on indefinitely an idea I've seen and would be happy with is to return to option of retiring at 60 for men and women. It would be good if down to individual choice but I would be up for it and it would free up jobs for younger people.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
to KK123. As I understand it the children of key workers have been at school all along. There are few enough of them that they can be taught in small safe socially distanced groups. I am concerned for the poor teachers being "sent to the slaughter" in large comprehensives where they move every 40 minutes to another different group of 30 teenagers. I think what you say about kids having to be supervised at home is the main reason why Boris wants them back at school ie the parents can't go back to work while they are supervising kids. I have read that up to 68% of people work from home and though this seems to me a high number, many articles say 38%. They aren't all parents, but nevertheless WFH enables a large proportion of parents to take responsibility for their own children. It is not just the teachers who will suffer if kids go back to school. They will infect their peers and then their parents and then their grandparents. We could easily be in a second wave in a couple of months if schools reopen.
As to remortgaging, obviously it would only be an option for a few people, but at least more of the older teachers who tend to be more vulnerable will be closer to paying off their mortgages. If it was a way out of teaching for only one older,vulnerable teacher it would be worth trying.
However for parents who WFH it is the double whammy of both trying to teach their children and do their own work which can be stressful. I have a few colleagues in this situation and they are looking forward to the children returning to school.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Grandson due to health reasons missed out on secondary school, was home schooled to an extent is now about to commence his third year of an economics degree with hard work and determination missing out on a formal high school education need not be the end of the world.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

With respect, Tannith; WFH stands for "Working From Home". Employers with people working from home, expect a day of work in return for the salary they pay the person. They are not paying their employees to look after or home school their children.

As someone who has work from home, successfully, for many years, I find it offensive when folks seem to think working from home is a cushy number. I have had days (albeit not in more recent times), when I have started work at 05:00, and have not been able to dress, never mind shower, dress, make drinks, or lunch by 18:00.

Never in my working life, including working from home, could I have spent time childminding, during my working days. Aside from all else, my moral compass would not have allowed it (if I had had children of my own).

Reactions: ert

Hotpepper20000

"sent to the slaughter
Really???? Is this kind of rhetoric necessary. I have hesitated to respond to any of your fear mongering posts but this is horrible.
WFH enables a large proportion of parents to take responsibility for their own children.
Working from home is still work. So people are supposed to have meetings and be constructive while taking care of their children??? How do suppose they do that? Sit them in from of a TV or video games??
And I find it offensive that you imply that bringing kids to school is is some how not taking responsibility.
Please a deep breath and calm down before you post such inflammatory statements.

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You do know what Working From Home means, right? It means doing you usual days work while simultaneously caring for young children, because nurseries, childcare etc are closed, grandparents are shielding, and there are not enough school places and the pre and after school care is not available. Plus the lack of public transport to get the children to school etc due to social distancing.
When are the parents supposed to parent during working hours? Many parents both work, and single parents work too, you know.

The lack of awareness of the economic and working situations of many astonishes me in several of your posts.

Tannith

BANNED
You do know what Working From Home means, right? It means doing you usual days work while simultaneously caring for young children, because nurseries, childcare etc are closed, grandparents are shielding, and there are not enough school places and the pre and after school care is not available. Plus the lack of public transport to get the children to school etc due to social distancing.
When are the parents supposed to parent during working hours? Many parents both work, and single parents work too, you know.

The lack of awareness of the economic and working situations of many astonishes me in several of your posts.
I have been a single parent and I have also been a home educator of my children until the eldest was 91/2. I have also taught in comprehensives. My partner also looked after our child while he was home working and I was at work. so I do know about various working situations. As to people's economic situations i am familiar with a range of those also, having both worked and been on benefits (at different times of course!). Suggesting that desperate teachers might find a way of escaping unsafe schools by remortgaging is not offered as a solution for the many. As I said, there are only a few who would be able to do it. But all the teachers I worked with over the age of 40 owned their own homes, and plenty of people remortgage when it is not a necessity, just to release money for luxuries. The teachers over 60, as I said before, are the ones most likely to have paid off most of their mortgage in preparation for retirement.These are the same people who are at greatest risk from covid. It is a fairly drastic measure, but then for the Govt to reopen schools when they have made no arrangement to protect the staff beyond a bit of hand santiser is also a drastic measure. Even the "extremely vulnerable" have been required to return to work since the start of this month. I consider that at least if they are comprehensive teachers teaching teens, that is just plain reckless of the Govt.

Reactions: Jbicheno

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Am returning to the workplace and have been asked to complete an individual risk assessment due to the Diabetes. It asks about additional measures I require and I have no idea!! Can anyone suggest anything? We’ve a rota for the Staffroom to minimise the number of people in there, there’s extra cleaning, socially distanced workspaces, hand gel, face coverings in corridors. But I really don’t know if there’s anything extra I can add! Thanks.

Dusty911

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Am returning to the workplace and have been asked to complete an individual risk assessment due to the Diabetes. It asks about additional measures I require and I have no idea!! Can anyone suggest anything? We’ve a rota for the Staffroom to minimise the number of people in there, there’s extra cleaning, socially distanced workspaces, hand gel, face coverings in corridors. But I really don’t know if there’s anything extra I can add! Thanks.
Hi there, a few ideas off the top of my head so some may not be feasible ,
How do you get to work ?
If you drive, priority parking
If public transport it would be better to avoid rush hours so a staggered start and finish.
Minimal or no face to face meetings eg staff meetings by zoom , parent meetings over the phone etc, no being called to the office for chats with the head.
Strict 2 m distance from other adults.
Excused from playground duties, if not maintain strict distance unless emergency occurs.
It sounds like you are allowed to mask if not in the classroom.
Teaching rooms well ventilated
Unlimited hand gel
Your own personal pack of work tools, pens pencils laptop etc that nobody else touches.
A few ideas depending on your work circumstances there are probably more. For myself it's the travel to work that is the most difficult factor.

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Sorry, probs should have mentioned that I’m in a college. My job generally involves a lot of driving, so no public transport involved thankfully and I don’t know yet if I can get in to see my students in their workplaces (local lockdown area) so will have to comply with their various requirements as and when.

No classrooms for me to worry about - although I have been told I can use a free one to Zoom my students if necessary. I have my own equipment which comes with me wherever I go, however in the Staffroom I’ll be sharing a PC. The phone’s an issue thinking about it - will continue using my own mobile I think.

JRT

Hi there, a few ideas off the top of my head so some may not be feasible ,
How do you get to work ?
If you drive, priority parking
If public transport it would be better to avoid rush hours so a staggered start and finish.
Minimal or no face to face meetings eg staff meetings by zoom , parent meetings over the phone etc, no being called to the office for chats with the head.
Strict 2 m distance from other adults.
Excused from playground duties, if not maintain strict distance unless emergency occurs.
It sounds like you are allowed to mask if not in the classroom.
Teaching rooms well ventilated
Unlimited hand gel
Your own personal pack of work tools, pens pencils laptop etc that nobody else touches.
A few ideas depending on your work circumstances there are probably more. For myself it's the travel to work that is the most difficult factor.
With regard to travel to work my Union told me that employers can access a fund to help vulnerable employees get to work. I dont know where from,money allocated by local councils maybe? I'm not sure how it would work. In my case I would have taken four buses on a work day. Maybe a shorter taxi ride is safer.? Sorry I dont have any more details.

JRT

I work in care so slightly different. Mine would involve social distancing,alternative roles if that not possible or working from home. Only thing I can suggest is checking gov.uk site for guidelines on covid safe workplace and social distancing to see if theres anything havent thought of. The diabetes UK phone helpline have also been really helpful when I have contacted them and may have some suggestions.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are indeed pre-diabetic then I am not sure you are even classed as having an illness, certainly not a disability. So your risk assessment would be the same as anyone without diabetes.

Max68

My Union last week told me to request a risk assessment as well although I'm not sure how I actually approach this as my employer already knows my concerns and they have placed me in a class with another vulnerable teacher, given me more PE slots, Outdoor Education slots and will be placing me on outside lunch and break duties. So not really sure what more they can do bar things like letting me take my own radio home etc.

Must say I'm finding most people I know seem to not share my concerns. Just completed these two documents for my sister with regard to all of my and my mothers affairs so she can deal with everything if I were to become ill or worse,. She won't really talk about it if I mention them just saying I will be fine so don't worry and friends are generally just shrugging shoulders saying it's a good idea to have something like that in place anyway. Almost like they think I am mad, maybe I am!!

JRT

My Union last week told me to request a risk assessment as well although I'm not sure how I actually approach this as my employer already knows my concerns and they have placed me in a class with another vulnerable teacher, given me more PE slots, Outdoor Education slots and will be placing me on outside lunch and break duties. So not really sure what more they can do bar things like letting me take my own radio home etc.

Must say I'm finding most people I know seem to not share my concerns. Just completed these two documents for my sister with regard to all of my and my mothers affairs so she can deal with everything if I were to become ill or worse,. She won't really talk about it if I mention them just saying I will be fine so don't worry and friends are generally just shrugging shoulders saying it's a good idea to have something like that in place anyway. Almost like they think I am mad, maybe I am!!
If you are mad then so am I!
In all seriousness everyone seems to view this virus differently according to their individual circumstances. If I was in my 30s,slim and with no underlying health conditions and drove to work in a covid safe office I would pay attention to rules but probably view virus as an inconvenience rather than a threat!
Several times I have felt like a total fruit loop! A week ago friends,who are very cautious offered to collect me for a socially distanced garden meet up. Apart from the car sharing all within rules. I agreed. My area is one of lowest risk although infections are rising. Yesterday I checked government website and guidelines were updated again on 14th August. It's now recommended that vulnerable people minimise social contact outside own household. I'm pretty sure that had been taken out or changed slightly a fortnight ago. So I postponed the visit although they are welcome to meet at mine. Am I over cautious? Who knows,probably compared to some.i added up the risks and it was something I wasnt quite comfortable with. Also if this useless government tell me to minimise contact my ears prick up!
The schools opening is a massive issue. I'm on Gransnet where there is a tremendous amount of concern both with general visits and those who provide after school care. Some,in consultation with their childeren have decided it's just to risky,some are gung ho and think the virus is all hype,some acknowledged the risk but are willing to take it rather than not see grand childeren.
Outside of the general uncertainty about what will happen with schools each school environment and role is different and the risks are different.
I have a friend who is type 1. She normally works in a day centre which is shut. Shes a very outdoor person and loves rambling etc. At the moment she has been doing 1.1s with sevice users with similar interests. She collects them in her car but they are living a pretty secluded life anyway. The day is spent outdoors and they can socially distance. They dont have any care needs. So far so good although not sure what happen in Winter.
My care home is a no go. However if I could drive to my daughters care home and do the same role there I would feel the risk to be minimized.
Are your friends vulnerable to the virus? If not they might find it hard to appreciate how it could affect someone who is,especially when media are more concerned with getting back to new normal. In all honesty if you not medically vulnerable that's what's happening.
Your school have to do a risk assessment specific to how the virus affects you due to underlying health conditions and I'm sure they wont have a problem with it.
Finally I spotted something in news earlier that quite alarming. It was The Independent who I think are quite reliable. Apparently one area had noticed that childeren had had coronavirus but not seriously ill. It appeared however that now there is an increase in childeren presenting with type 1 diabetes. Small study but if true

Tannith

BANNED
Yes. It’s the not being allowed to wear PPE that is behind my decision not to go back to teaching this term.
If the Govt made schools safe they could reopen. But Boris is doing the opposite - actually forbidding PPE. There are ways schools could be made safer. eg some countries are using conference centres,cinemas, public buildings and the like so that they can divide classes into smaller groups who can safely socially distance. And/or they could allow pupils back on alternate weeks or every 3/4 weeks as necessary to reduce crowding and enable social distancing. They could build perspex screens around the areas in classrooms where teachers stand. They could introduce weekly testing for all pupils and staff. They could build ventilation systems in classrooms or even require windows to be kept open. Above all, they could require masks for all ,including the kids,not forbid them.The children probably wouldn't get very ill if they got covid, but many teachers would, especially the older ones. I think it is criminal of Boris to send them back into schools. Schools are one of the most risky workplaces for spreading covid. Even covid wards have ventilation and full PPE.Teachers have nothing to protect them. No wonder so many are trying to leave. I wish them success in their exodus.

Reactions: Jbicheno and JRT

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If the Govt made schools safe they could reopen. But Boris is doing the opposite - actually forbidding PPE. There are ways schools could be made safer. eg some countries are using conference centres,cinemas, public buildings and the like so that they can divide classes into smaller groups who can safely socially distance. And/or they could allow pupils back on alternate weeks or every 3/4 weeks as necessary to reduce crowding and enable social distancing. They could build perspex screens around the areas in classrooms where teachers stand. They could introduce weekly testing for all pupils and staff. They could build ventilation systems in classrooms or even require windows to be kept open. Above all, they could require masks for all ,including the kids,not forbid them.The children probably wouldn't get very ill if they got covid, but many teachers would, especially the older ones. I think it is criminal of Boris to send them back into schools. Schools are one of the most risky workplaces for spreading covid. Even covid wards have ventilation and full PPE.Teachers have nothing to protect them. No wonder so many are trying to leave. I wish them success in their exodus.
I’ve always quite enjoyed the odd day doing supply, and had every intention of continuing once I’ve finished my training and hopefully got a job with the ambulance service. But I’m certainly rethinking that!

Max68

If you are mad then so am I!
In all seriousness everyone seems to view this virus differently according to their individual circumstances. If I was in my 30s,slim and with no underlying health conditions and drove to work in a covid safe office I would pay attention to rules but probably view virus as an inconvenience rather than a threat!
Several times I have felt like a total fruit loop! A week ago friends,who are very cautious offered to collect me for a socially distanced garden meet up. Apart from the car sharing all within rules. I agreed. My area is one of lowest risk although infections are rising. Yesterday I checked government website and guidelines were updated again on 14th August. It's now recommended that vulnerable people minimise social contact outside own household. I'm pretty sure that had been taken out or changed slightly a fortnight ago. So I postponed the visit although they are welcome to meet at mine. Am I over cautious? Who knows,probably compared to some.i added up the risks and it was something I wasnt quite comfortable with. Also if this useless government tell me to minimise contact my ears prick up!
The schools opening is a massive issue. I'm on Gransnet where there is a tremendous amount of concern both with general visits and those who provide after school care. Some,in consultation with their childeren have decided it's just to risky,some are gung ho and think the virus is all hype,some acknowledged the risk but are willing to take it rather than not see grand childeren.
Outside of the general uncertainty about what will happen with schools each school environment and role is different and the risks are different.
I have a friend who is type 1. She normally works in a day centre which is shut. Shes a very outdoor person and loves rambling etc. At the moment she has been doing 1.1s with sevice users with similar interests. She collects them in her car but they are living a pretty secluded life anyway. The day is spent outdoors and they can socially distance. They dont have any care needs. So far so good although not sure what happen in Winter.
My care home is a no go. However if I could drive to my daughters care home and do the same role there I would feel the risk to be minimized.
Are your friends vulnerable to the virus? If not they might find it hard to appreciate how it could affect someone who is,especially when media are more concerned with getting back to new normal. In all honesty if you not medically vulnerable that's what's happening.
Your school have to do a risk assessment specific to how the virus affects you due to underlying health conditions and I'm sure they wont have a problem with it.
Finally I spotted something in news earlier that quite alarming. It was The Independent who I think are quite reliable. Apparently one area had noticed that childeren had had coronavirus but not seriously ill. It appeared however that now there is an increase in childeren presenting with type 1 diabetes. Small study but if true

I'm not ashamed to admit I am getting more terrified by the minute, especially as Dr John Campbell has been doing more videos about schools around the world and if he is concerned so am I! By all accounts according to the stats infections amongst children are increasing "as the schools open". He also agreed with what I've been saying all along and that is Governments claims that schools offer little risk are based on the fact that the schools have been either only partially opened or closed. It's a pointless argument that Governments are using. It's a bit like saying your favourite football team hadn't lost any matches between March and June. Er it's because football was in lockdown so your team didn't play any matches, hardly a good guide for current form!!

I've a real decision to make. I've got a few grand in the bank and receive a couple of thousand every three months from an investment that's holed up until 2026. I could probably survive for 7-10 months depending on outgoings but capital will obviously dwindle without a wage which stays stable when working, but then you have a problem of getting an new job when that runs out. No idea what to do.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are in the concert industry, there is no work happening until next spring at best. Although the theatres have permission to open, it is so uneconomic to only have half or a third seats occupied, that the performances can go ahead.

Tannith

BANNED
I'm not ashamed to admit I am getting more terrified by the minute, especially as Dr John Campbell has been doing more videos about schools around the world and if he is concerned so am I! By all accounts according to the stats infections amongst children are increasing "as the schools open". He also agreed with what I've been saying all along and that is Governments claims that schools offer little risk are based on the fact that the schools have been either only partially opened or closed. It's a pointless argument that Governments are using. It's a bit like saying your favourite football team hadn't lost any matches between March and June. Er it's because football was in lockdown so your team didn't play any matches, hardly a good guide for current form!!

I've a real decision to make. I've got a few grand in the bank and receive a couple of thousand every three months from an investment that's holed up until 2026. I could probably survive for 7-10 months depending on outgoings but capital will obviously dwindle without a wage which stays stable when working, but then you have a problem of getting an new job when that runs out. No idea what to do.
I have just heard Nicola sturgeon say that indoor gatherings of more than 8 people from more than three different households are forbidden in Scotland. How come that does not apply to indoor classrooms?